Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Quick Brake Pad Question

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by flybobbie » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:26 pm

Be interested to know if can get the warning light to cancel, mine needed a trip to a indy for a reset, as it wouldn't reset through the stalk.

AnubisZed

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:40 am

flybobbie wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:26 pm Be interested to know if can get the warning light to cancel, mine needed a trip to a indy for a reset, as it wouldn't reset through the stalk.
I'll update this thread when I do it with any problems I may encounter.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by Smartbear » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:18 am

flybobbie wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:26 pm Be interested to know if can get the warning light to cancel, mine needed a trip to a indy for a reset, as it wouldn't reset through the stalk.
Carly reset my brake pad warning light without any aggravation (with a new non-oem sensor) :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by Nictrix » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:29 am

Smartbear wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:18 am
Carly reset my brake pad warning light without any aggravation (with a new non-oem sensor) :thumbsup:
Rob
I had problems resetting the indicator after changing the discs, pads and sensors and gave up taking it to an indy who couldn't do it either. They suggested that the new sensors were faulty.
As the old sensors had not triggered yet I put these back on the car and reset the indicators with no trouble.
That meant that both Pagid brake sensors I got from ECP were faulty and were returned for a refund.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

AnubisZed

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm

OK well day one and not a total success.
Front brakes all complete, photo of the first one and yes I'm aware the spring clip is missing as I realised this after I'd put the wheel back on and started the other side :?
Anyway, far too bloody hot out there today to do the rears (according to the forecast it was supposed to be cloudy not full sun at 25 degrees!!) so the rears will have to be next weekends job.

Carly will not reset the service status for the front brakes, but that may have something to do with not doing the rears yet, I'll see next weekend when I do those.

For now the front end is sorted with new discs, pads, sensor and associated "bits n bobs", fluid level is perfect and it's had a test drive and all seems perfectly fine.

Two complaints, one is the stupid calliper spring clip is a real pain in the butt to get on and which total idiot thought that wheel bolts was a better idea than studs and wheel nuts??!! :thumbsdown:
Attachments
IMG_20180902_112209776_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180902_112209776_HDR.jpg (142.82 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
Dave

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by Smartbear » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:19 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm OK well day one and not a total success.
Front brakes all complete, photo of the first one and yes I'm aware the spring clip is missing as I realised this after I'd put the wheel back on and started the other side :?
Anyway, far too bloody hot out there today to do the rears (according to the forecast it was supposed to be cloudy not full sun at 25 degrees!!) so the rears will have to be next weekends job.

Carly will not reset the service status for the front brakes, but that may have something to do with not doing the rears yet, I'll see next weekend when I do those.

For now the front end is sorted with new discs, pads, sensor and associated "bits n bobs", fluid level is perfect and it's had a test drive and all seems perfectly fine.

Two complaints, one is the stupid calliper spring clip is a real pain in the butt to get on and which total idiot thought that wheel bolts was a better idea than studs and wheel nuts??!! :thumbsdown:
Get yourself a couple of these, makes it much less kerfuffle replacing the wheels & you won’t clatter them into the calipers chipping the paint etc :thumbsup:
55A4A275-2298-4B4B-B528-2C37BCE42658.jpeg
55A4A275-2298-4B4B-B528-2C37BCE42658.jpeg (351.54 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

AnubisZed

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:00 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:19 pm Get yourself a couple of these, makes it much less kerfuffle replacing the wheels & you won’t clatter them into the calipers chipping the paint etc :thumbsup:
55A4A275-2298-4B4B-B528-2C37BCE42658.jpeg
Rob
Now there's a good idea, thanks Rob :thumbsup:
Dave

bob20124

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by bob20124 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:18 am

Did rotors, pads, and sensors last week. To reset brake service mileage (fronts and rears) the e-brake needs to be off.
2011 35i BMS low and high side OCC, BMW 550i Clutch, CDV delete, Custom tune by BQ Tuning, ER Charge Pipe w/Tial BOV, ER Comp. FMIC, K&N drop in, 40W LED Halo, LCI side markers, M-Factory LSD, Stubby, Windrestrictor. Dyno'd 405WHP, 458Lb/FT

AnubisZed

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:26 am

bob20124 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:18 am Did rotors, pads, and sensors last week. To reset brake service mileage (fronts and rears) the e-brake needs to be off.
Arrrr, I did read something about that, I assumed that was rear only, thanks :thumbsup:
Dave

AnubisZed

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:41 am

OK, Update No/2..... (<< That's appropriate as it turns out!)

Didn't go exactly to plan (this is fast becoming a common theme here now!)
Jacked car up, no problem.
Went to loosen wheel nuts found all of them loose on one wheel, one VERY loose and the others nowhere near tight!
Next found that the screw holding the brake disc was also very loose (not a major problem really though)
Anyway then on to removing everything and all was going well until it came to winding back the calliper.
Carly said that it was not available to do it, which was a shame, at least I'd already watched a video on how to do it manually.
Now for the Torx 27 head set screws....... yeah as expected a no go as the bit just kept coming out.
Job stopped as I had no way to get them out and if I did then I'd not have replacements available :headbang:

I hadn't damaged anything in the dismantling so all was good to go back on. :thumbsup:

I now have new set screws to go in and Ezi-Outs and plenty of drill bits to get the old ones out, just got to find the time now to get it done.
To say this was annoying is an understatement, I understand that this sort of thing can happen after all I've owned cars long enough but this is why I ship most of my work out to garages these days (not that I've had all that much on the Z4), but reliable garages are getting hard to find!!

Anyway another update when I get around to sorting it, oh and sorry for the lack of photos, but I think the majority of you know what a brake disc looks like!! :D :rofl:
Dave