Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Quick Brake Pad Question

AnubisZed

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:54 am

According to the indications my rear brake pads are nearing their time, there is no pad wear indication just the mileage one.

So, I'm looking at changing all the pads now rather than later, do I still need to change the wear sensor when I do the pads or can it be left "as is" because it's not been touched yet?

Oh and forgot to add, I'm considering using Brembo pads, worth it or spend the extra on OEM?
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

obewan

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by obewan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:06 am

AnubisZed wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:54 am According to the indications my rear brake pads are nearing their time, there is no pad wear indication just the mileage one.

So, I'm looking at changing all the pads now rather than later, do I still need to change the wear sensor when I do the pads or can it be left "as is" because it's not been touched yet?

Oh and forgot to add, I'm considering using Brembo pads, worth it or spend the extra on OEM?
If the wear sensor has not 'activated' you can leave it - assuming you don't break it getting it off
I read that this can happen, so bought one just in case.
Still got it in the garage somewhere :D
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

R.E92

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by R.E92 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:27 am

You can re-use the sensor provided the warning light is not on, but you can't reset the brake pad service indicator.

The sensors have two wires. The first one will break at 50% pad wear, the last will go when the pads need changing.

Personally I would just buy new sensors. That way you can reset the service indicator.

brillomaster

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by brillomaster » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:40 am

Have you actually looked at the pads? should be fairly straightforward to see them through the wheel spokes. how many miles does it say the car has remaining (front and rear)

AnubisZed

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:45 am

The rears are at 3700 and the fronts are at 6000 according to the dash, so at my usual rate that'll be between 3 and 6 months use left!
So I'm thinking, along with the slight "squeak" I'm getting from the rears at the moment, I'll do it in the upcoming next couple of months while we still have some good weather. And considering the low cost of the sensors I'll replace them anyway :thumbsup:
Dave

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by flybobbie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:24 pm

I'm just about to replace rears at 1800 left, with more green stuff pads. Seem to give off little dust but with slotted and drilled discs, which i think has caused greater pad wear, about 25k. My brakes also starting to make noise. Pads down to about 2-3mm.
Will replace sensor so i can reset.

Now started the habit of running in sport+ mode to see if that will improve pad life. And only use sport in rain.

warmasice

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by warmasice » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:31 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:54 am According to the indications my rear brake pads are nearing their time, there is no pad wear indication just the mileage one.

OEM are Textar and got decent bite. Stick with them for road use.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by Smartbear » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:51 pm

flybobbie wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:24 pm I'm just about to replace rears at 1800 left, with more green stuff pads. Seem to give off little dust but with slotted and drilled discs, which i think has caused greater pad wear, about 25k. My brakes also starting to make noise. Pads down to about 2-3mm.

Now started the habit of running in sport+ mode to see if that will improve pad life. And only use sport in rain.
Is your reasoning that in sport+ mode there should be less electronic nannying applying the brakes?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by flybobbie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:43 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:51 pm
flybobbie wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:24 pm I'm just about to replace rears at 1800 left, with more green stuff pads. Seem to give off little dust but with slotted and drilled discs, which i think has caused greater pad wear, about 25k. My brakes also starting to make noise. Pads down to about 2-3mm.

Is your reasoning that in sport+ mode there should be less electronic nannying applying the brakes?
Rob
Well yes, something i notice some mornings when making a sharp right turn is that the throttle bulks slightly, perhaps it thinks the difference in wheel spin is a skid and so throttles back and could be dabbing the brakes. Doesn't happen in sport+ mode.
I can understand the traction trying to stop the rear going out, thus more pad wear. Hardly any on the fronts.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by flybobbie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:48 pm

And i like BMW terminology, "Dynamic traction activated" or in other words, traction control OFF.
Took me five years to understand that.

Better to give than take.......i suppose.

AnubisZed

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:15 am

warmasice wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:31 pm

Arr, thank you for that, makes sense. Well OEM are certainly in budget anyway at about £150 for front and rear and the sensors as well, and I think I'm more than capable of changing a few sets of pads :thumbsup: I wonder how much a dealer would charge (read "rip you off for"!!) for all that work!!?? :rofl:
Dave

warmasice

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by warmasice » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:07 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:15 am
warmasice wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:31 pm

Arr, thank you for that, makes sense. Well OEM are certainly in budget anyway at about £150 for front and rear and the sensors as well, and I think I'm more than capable of changing a few sets of pads :thumbsup: I wonder how much a dealer would charge (read "rip you off for"!!) for all that work!!?? :rofl:
Front and rear Textar pads with both sensors (Pagid) for £112 using code 'weekend37' on eurocarparts.

Easy enough to fit yourself.

Now buy me some beers! 🍺

AnubisZed

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:58 am

Thanks for all of the help.
Alas I didn't get the chance to sort it then and now my warning lamp is on all the time, no bother though as it's getting sorted as I've now ordered everything including new discs and all fittings bits n bobs, yes I know I probably don't "need" the bits n bobs but I know for certain this way I'm sorted and anything that ends up being damaged will have a replacement immediately rather than hold me up.
So new pads and discs all round plus both sensors, and looking on YouTube there seems to be nothing any more complicated then a standard brake change, I've even found how to wind the electric brake back manually even though I've got full access to Carly to do it for me (so just in case then) and a good excuse to buy myself a new socket set as my old one, well you can't actually call it a "set" any more as it's a load of old bits from different sets over the years :D

So a week on Sunday is D-Day :rofl:
Dave

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by Smartbear » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:26 am

AnubisZed wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:58 am Thanks for all of the help.
Alas I didn't get the chance to sort it then and now my warning lamp is on all the time, no bother though as it's getting sorted as I've now ordered everything including new discs and all fittings bits n bobs, yes I know I probably don't "need" the bits n bobs but I know for certain this way I'm sorted and anything that ends up being damaged will have a replacement immediately rather than hold me up.
So new pads and discs all round plus both sensors, and looking on YouTube there seems to be nothing any more complicated then a standard brake change, I've even found how to wind the electric brake back manually even though I've got full access to Carly to do it for me (so just in case then) and a good excuse to buy myself a new socket set as my old one, well you can't actually call it a "set" any more as it's a load of old bits from different sets over the years :D

Hi, despite Carly listing the ebrake on the function page it doesn’t actually function on the e89 last time I checked!
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

AnubisZed

Quick Brake Pad Question

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:33 am

Smartbear wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:26 am
AnubisZed wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:58 am Thanks for all of the help.

Hi, despite Carly listing the ebrake on the function page it doesn’t actually function on the e89 last time I checked!
Rob
I that case I'm glad I've found how to do it manually :thumbsup:
Dave