Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Reset service symbols

TONYMOR

Reset service symbols

Post by TONYMOR » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:49 am

An oil and filter change has been done on my E89 by a mechanic friend and I'm now struggling to get info on how to reset the yellow service light on start up .
Anyone got any clues ?

Ianth

Reset service symbols

Post by Ianth » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:23 pm

Try this.

Resetting Service Intervals

1. Switch the ignition on (so that the battery, Oil and Parking brake lights are displayed) - but don't actually start the car.
2. Press the odometer reset button for between 5 and 10 seconds until a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the centre appears in the top window between the clocks.
3. Release the odometer button briefly and press again straight away which brings up a picture of the Brake Fluid symbol.
4. If you want to reset the Brake Fluid interval for another 2 years then keep holding the odometer button until the word "RESET?" appears at the bottom of the lower window.
5. Release the button briefly and push it in again and hold for about 5 - 10 seconds until the new date appears in the bottom window.
6. If you want to reset the Oil, Microfilter or Brake Pad indicators then you will need to follow the same sequence as steps 1 and 2 above, but when you get to step 3 and the brake Fluid icon appears, just release the button and press again and the next service item will appear.
7. You can continue releasing and pressing the button until the required service item icon appears for the one you want to reset. As soon as it does then hold in the button in until the word "RESET?" appears again as in step 4 above. Once the word "RESET?" has appeared, you need to release the button briefly and hold it in again for about 5 - 10 seconds until it is replaced by the new service interval figure (as per step 5 above).

Hints & Tips
If you do happen to hold the button down too long against an item you don't want to reset and the "RESET?" appears, just leave the button alone for 10 seconds or so and it will not let you reset the item. (Alternatively just switch the ignition off and start again).

Sometimes if you have not released and pressed the button again quickly enough, when you hold it down again the German technical writing will appear after about 15 - 20 seconds instead of the Service item icon you were expecting. (If this happens just switch off the ignition and start again).

ihadablackdog

Reset service symbols

Post by ihadablackdog » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:55 pm

Can these be reset even if the work hasn't been done?

Not that I would do so, but when I got my car the oil service date had been reset to 2 years by the dealer I got it from, but they hadn't stamped the book, and after a catalogue of errors from that dealer I had no confidence they had actually done it.

The service advisor in the dealership told me the car wouldn't allow you to reset the interval if it hadn't been done?

Sounds like bs to me, but I'm not sure? Condition based servicing that clever?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Reset service symbols

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:15 pm

Here's a link to TIS, you can go back and find info for your specific vehicle:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e89- ... e/Aleo3vgu
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

clarker63

Reset service symbols

Post by clarker63 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:39 am

ihadablackdog wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:55 pm Can these be reset even if the work hasn't been done?

Not that I would do so, but when I got my car the oil service date had been reset to 2 years by the dealer I got it from, but they hadn't stamped the book, and after a catalogue of errors from that dealer I had no confidence they had actually done it.

The service advisor in the dealership told me the car wouldn't allow you to reset the interval if it hadn't been done?

Sounds like bs to me, but I'm not sure? Condition based servicing that clever?
nope, complete BS... you can do what you want, when you want using the menus when you know where to look!
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

ihadablackdog

Reset service symbols

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:22 am

Thought so. More efin dealer lies!
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Reset service symbols

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:27 pm

Very interesting!

Does anybody know if this works on an E91 - mine had a new MOT when I bought it but the OBC didn't get reset.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Reset service symbols

Post by flybobbie » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:05 pm

Recently tried to reset my rear brakes but won't let me until i replace the wear sensor. All others never had a problem.

TONYMOR

Reset service symbols

Post by TONYMOR » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:37 pm

Thanks for advice.After several attempts I seem to have reset hopefully the red light wont come on again .

warmasice

Reset service symbols

Post by warmasice » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:32 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:55 pm The service advisor in the dealership told me the car wouldn't allow you to reset the interval if it hadn't been done?
:rofl: :rofl:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Reset service symbols

Post by Pondrew » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:01 pm

Bit of a thread resurrection this but thought I would update as the advice at the start of this thread doesn't work on an E89 with the BC buttons.

The way I had to do it was to hold the trip odometer button for 5 seconds until the yellow exclamation in the triangle appears(as per above), then use the BC buttons to scroll through the different items and reset.

So it is the similar to the above instructions but using all three BC buttons as well as the odometer trip.

HTH. :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

jenniferlouise

Reset service symbols

Post by jenniferlouise » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:02 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:01 pm Bit of a thread resurrection this but thought I would update as the advice at the start of this thread doesn't work on an E89 with the BC buttons.
BC buttons??? From a numpty E89 owner (who may or may not have BC buttons?!?!)

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Reset service symbols

Post by B21 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:10 pm

jenniferlouise wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:02 pm
Pondrew wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:01 pm Bit of a thread resurrection this but thought I would update as the advice at the start of this thread doesn't work on an E89 with the BC buttons.
Attachments
IMG_2483.jpeg
IMG_2483.jpeg (70.44 KiB) Viewed 268 times
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Reset service symbols

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:32 pm

jenniferlouise wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:02 pm
I think it is now politically correct to call them BCE buttons. :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Reset service symbols

Post by Pondrew » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:50 pm

jenniferlouise wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:02 pm BC buttons??? From a numpty E89 owner (who may or may not have BC buttons?!?!)
As per Peter's picture, you need the "BC" marked button (the selection button) and the scroll up and down wheel (to scroll through the menu). These along with the odometer (mileage) trip button will allow you to reset everything in the car's service criteria (if it has decided it is overdue).

It would be so much easier if BMW did what many others do (especially the Japs) and have an option in the car's settings to notify of servicing or just turn it off permanently.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!