Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I'm suspenionsionally challenged, what's my options?

stijohnny

Post by stijohnny » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:15 pm

Good people
My beautiful 2009 Z4 35i went into the main dealer for a battery cable recall and they told me that not only do they not have the cable they also spotted a leak from the nearside front shock (active susp). So they're going to get in touch but the cable, could be October .
In the meantime if I want an MOT pass then please handover £890 to swap the strut....
I called an Indy, they told me they can use the same OEM part of £810 - cheers for that offering!
So what do I do next? I'm not tight, I sooner spend - say £600 on beer and £200 on a new shock.
ML performance are doing a set of coilovers for £600ish and I know a garage that could fit em for a couple of hundred, that would answer a lot of questions, but please let me know your thoughts and ideas. I am in West Sussex for what its worth...
Thanks for your time.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:44 pm

stijohnny wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:15 pm Good people
My beautiful 2009 Z4 35i went into the main dealer for a battery cable recall and they told me that not only do they not have the cable they also spotted a leak from the nearside front shock (active susp). So they're going to get in touch but the cable, could be October .
In the meantime if I want an MOT pass then please handover £890 to swap the strut....
I called an Indy, they told me they can use the same OEM part of £810 - cheers for that offering!
So what do I do next? I'm not tight, I sooner spend - say £600 on beer and £200 on a new shock.
ML performance are doing a set of coilovers for £600ish and I know a garage that could fit em for a couple of hundred, that would answer a lot of questions, but please let me know your thoughts and ideas. I am in West Sussex for what its worth...
Thanks for your time.
The adaptive suspension is notorious for leaking seals, I wouldn’t spend that sort of money putting another strut on that’s probably going to fail prematurely.
I’d be looking at normal dampers instead.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

stijohnny

Post by stijohnny » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:27 am

Thanks Rob for your response. Dont reply now its late. What do you mean by going to normal dampers? Do I need to change all 4 or just 1 at a time as they fail? Then I expect the button that changes the suspension wont work (dont care too much bout that). So what can I expect?

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Look at the strut yourself and see how badly it's leaking. 'Damp' - leave it alone. 'A bit wet' - leave it alone and divert some of your beer money into a 'Replace the strut when it fails' fund. 'Really leaking' - replace it.

What's the problem? You have a 35i - a very good car with adaptive suspension, part of which may have failed. That's what happens to cars.
Vidi, vici, veni

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:37 pm

Having both of mine replaced on the front under warranty.

I wouldn't get just one replaced though. I'd replace both on that axle if you want the car to ride and handle correctly.

I'd like to think the new parts will be more reliable than the originals. It's a common failure so obviously a design defect on the front shocks.

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:43 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:44 pm The adaptive suspension is notorious for leaking seals ...
Rob
Not arguing, Rob, just wondering. Where did you get this information from?
Vidi, vici, veni

vr6er

Post by vr6er » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:25 pm

vr6er wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:03 pm Please send me beer.

http://firefoxracing.co.uk/bmw-esa-elec ... servicing/
Do they service car shocks too as that site just looks like motorcycle shocks?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

stijohnny

Post by stijohnny » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:38 pm

vr6er wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:03 pm Please send me beer.

http://firefoxracing.co.uk/bmw-esa-elec ... servicing/
Hi vr6er
Thanks for the link, it was worth a try but unfortunately they could not fix the shock. I called them and they said to send it up to em and if they could service it then they would do. Well the bottom line is they couldnt do it and they were not very impressed with the BMW shock build quality anyway and told me I'd be much better going for a set of coilovers...

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:37 pm

Busterboo wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:43 pm
Smartbear wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:44 pm The adaptive suspension is notorious for leaking seals ...
Rob
Not arguing, Rob, just wondering. Where did you get this information from?
I gleaned this information from reading this very forum over a period of time :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold