Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The dreaded Boing!

JamiesZ4

The dreaded Boing!

Post by JamiesZ4 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:01 pm

So continuing with the ongoing trend of roof issues on the e89 and following on from my steering EPS nightmare, my roof is now playing up as well! :x

Tried to drop the roof down on Sunday and mechanism all starts up nicely, the window panel goes up and above the roof panel and then the "boing" on the dashboard starts going along with the red warning light. It would seem that the third panel (so the element that opens up to let the other two panels down into) won't fully open, it kind of slows as its lifting up and then stops half way through its cycle.

Managed to get the close button to work and everything back where it should be but having read some of the horror stories on here of half open/closed roofs have decided to leave things be and see if I can get BMW to sort under the extended warranty I now have.
Current - E89 Z4 SDrive 3.0i - last of the normally aspirated six cylinders
Gone - E85 Z4 2.2 SE

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

The dreaded Boing!

Post by markplant » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:04 pm

JamiesZ4 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:01 pm So continuing with the ongoing trend of roof issues on the e89 and following on from my steering EPS nightmare, my roof is now playing up as well! :x

Tried to drop the roof down on Sunday and mechanism all starts up nicely, the window panel goes up and above the roof panel and then the "boing" on the dashboard starts going along with the red warning light. It would seem that the third panel (so the element that opens up to let the other two panels down into) won't fully open, it kind of slows as its lifting up and then stops half way through its cycle.

Managed to get the close button to work and everything back where it should be but having read some of the horror stories on here of half open/closed roofs have decided to leave things be and see if I can get BMW to sort under the extended warranty I now have.
If not , diet coke man on here did a good thread about what goes wrong an how to fix , I think he's done a few now
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

JamiesZ4

The dreaded Boing!

Post by JamiesZ4 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:28 pm

Cheers Mark, will do some searching on here and read up.
Current - E89 Z4 SDrive 3.0i - last of the normally aspirated six cylinders
Gone - E85 Z4 2.2 SE