Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

e89 Roof Failure **SOLVED**

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:22 am

SOLVED, see post 5 below.................

Morning all,

Got in my Z this morning and the Red Roof indication came on when I started it, I hadn't pressed the roof button at this point.
Went to open the boot lid and check the panel in the boot and the boot handle seemed stiff but released the boot to open it. Nothing wrong with the panel so I shut the boot, it didn't latch or draw down!

So now I have the red roof indication and boot open indication on the dash.
I've done a fault check with Carly and have come up with the following fault....

Fault Code: 00A568
Fault Explanation: ID-failure status 27Eh top convertible / ID Failure status Hood

Anyone any idea? I'm assuming the boot wont shut because of the roof failure.

Car drives fine, no other (connected) faults show up....................... :?
Last edited by AnubisZed on Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

clarker63

e89 Roof Failure

Post by clarker63 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:52 am

seems to be a problem at this time of year. other's have had similar issues - have you looked at their posts? Hall Sensor issue?
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

AnubisZed

e89 Roof Failure

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:15 am

Thanks bud,
Just had a read through but they mostly seem to have problems once opened. My issue is that I didn't do anything other than start the car and then it "bonged" and the red roof symbol came up :?
Dave

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

e89 Roof Failure

Post by flybobbie » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:40 pm

Boot handle only operates a micro switch.
Might be this read through,
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=106904

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:00 pm

Thanks guys for the pointers, alas didn't cure my fault though.

Anyway after messing around with various ideas for quite a few hours and mainly looking in the area of something to do with the boot release system I've traced it down to my after-market roof module. Once I removed that, and that's not easy when you can't put the roof in service mode, it worked perfectly in fact instantly as I'd left the two boot catches in the closed position but it wasn't drawing it in (boot in fully open position) so as soon as I'd put the loom plug back in place the boot motors drew it in, pressed the boot release catch and it released as it should.

So no microswitches, or hall sensors required, just either a replacement or deletion of the roof module. Not sure if I want another module fitted really as if it's going to be this unreliable then I'll "cope" without one as I'm simply not justifying £340 for the SmartTop version, it hasn't got that many benefits!
Dave

bryand

Post by bryand » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:41 pm

Do what I did and wait for one to pop up on the 2nd hand market, I agree that for what it does £340 is a bit steep.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:47 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:00 pm Thanks guys for the pointers, alas didn't cure my fault though.

Anyway after messing around with various ideas for quite a few hours and mainly looking in the area of something to do with the boot release system I've traced it down to my after-market roof module. Once I removed that, and that's not easy when you can't put the roof in service mode, it worked perfectly in fact instantly as I'd left the two boot catches in the closed position but it wasn't drawing it in (boot in fully open position) so as soon as I'd put the loom plug back in place the boot motors drew it in, pressed the boot release catch and it released as it should.

So no microswitches, or hall sensors required, just either a replacement or deletion of the roof module. Not sure if I want another module fitted really as if it's going to be this unreliable then I'll "cope" without one as I'm simply not justifying £340 for the SmartTop version, it hasn't got that many benefits!
Smarttop modules seem to be very reliable going by the lack of posts about them, did you check the plugs for security before removing the unit & who installed it?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:14 pm

What was the module?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:57 am

Smartbear wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:47 pm
Smarttop modules seem to be very reliable going by the lack of posts about them, did you check the plugs for security before removing the unit & who installed it?
Rob
I wonder if that's just because fewer E89 owners have fitted the Smart Top module (as mentioned, it's not cheap) compared to the number of E85 owners who have the Gaptech RCH+ ?
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:53 am

Time will tell if it was the module or just coincidence.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:43 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:14 pm What was the module?
It was the Reinhold Engineering one.
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:50 pm

flybobbie wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:53 am Time will tell if it was the module or just coincidence.
Definitely not coincidence!!

The two boot catches were in the shut but not drawn in position (ie; the draw-down motors were not activating) This was due to the right hand microswitch was not receiving 12v. It should receive 12v from the car roof module, but this is were the after-market module is wired in.

The boot catches were left in this semi-closed position all the time I was checking out the module connections for tightness and the two power joints for 12v which they had. Once the module was removed then the very instant the original loom plug was plugged back in place the two draw-down motors activated correctly.
All fault codes cleared and the roof was checked for operation and was faultless and has been since.

By trade I'm a railway signalling engineer with installation, maintenance and fault finding time served, so I know a bit about searching for faults and using wiring diagrams! :?
Dave

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:20 am

Nice job finding the culprit - are you going to try to see what in the smart top module caused it (loose connection, broken wires etc) and reconnect it, or just leave it as is?
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:45 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:50 pm
flybobbie wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:53 am Time will tell if it was the module or just coincidence.
Definitely not coincidence!!

The two boot catches were in the shut but not drawn in position (ie; the draw-down motors were not activating) This was due to the right hand microswitch was not receiving 12v. It should receive 12v from the car roof module, but this is were the after-market module is wired in.

The boot catches were left in this semi-closed position all the time I was checking out the module connections for tightness and the two power joints for 12v which they had. Once the module was removed then the very instant the original loom plug was plugged back in place the two draw-down motors activated correctly.
All fault codes cleared and the roof was checked for operation and was faultless and has been since.

By trade I'm a railway signalling engineer with installation, maintenance and fault finding time served, so I know a bit about searching for faults and using wiring diagrams! :?
Same as me, I was a technical officer for London Underground :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:52 pm

enzed4 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:20 am Nice job finding the culprit - are you going to try to see what in the smart top module caused it (loose connection, broken wires etc) and reconnect it, or just leave it as is?
It's on it's way back to Germany and I'm not having it replaced.
It was a "nice to have" item in the first place and I can live without it. If an original SmartTop came up at the right price (ie; sub £200) then I'd consider it, but I doubt that.

I appreciate that it may just be a one-off but it's really put me off it..... shame really, especially as it was a birthday present from my wife :?
Dave