Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

e89 Roof Failure **SOLVED**

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:45 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:50 pm ...
By trade I'm a railway signalling engineer with installation, maintenance and fault finding time served, so I know a bit about searching for faults and using wiring diagrams! :?
Same as me, I was a technical officer for London Underground :thumbsup:
Rob
Almost 30 years now starting off with BR S&T and now I test trains (Virgin tilting trains, LU SSL and Crossrail plus loads of other stuff), big boys toys these days 8) :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:22 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:52 pm
enzed4 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:20 am Nice job finding the culprit - are you going to try to see what in the smart top module caused it (loose connection, broken wires etc) and reconnect it, or just leave it as is?
It's on it's way back to Germany and I'm not having it replaced.
It was a "nice to have" item in the first place and I can live without it. If an original SmartTop came up at the right price (ie; sub £200) then I'd consider it, but I doubt that.

I appreciate that it may just be a one-off but it's really put me off it..... shame really, especially as it was a birthday present from my wife :?
The Smarttop module is expensive but it is a well put together bit of kit - the enclosure, harness assembly and conectors seem good quality.
As for the electronics - well that’s the stuff of witch craft!

Arfraid you only get what you pay for.

Keep an eye out for a used unit, they do crop up and that’s how I got mine.
However I need mine due to my lack of mobility and if needed another unit I would cough up the £340 :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:13 am

ronk wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:22 pm....
Arfraid you only get what you pay for.

Keep an eye out for a used unit, they do crop up and that’s how I got mine.
However I need mine due to my lack of mobility and if needed another unit I would cough up the £340 :thumbsup:
Can't argue with that statement :D

I did and a very nice gentleman on this very site put one up for sale last week so I jumped at the chance and I now have a lovely little SmatTop module in my boot! One happy bunny again :thumbsup: :driving: 8)
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

belljul

Post by belljul » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:29 pm

I had similar roof problems.
Here's my fixes.
Replaced Rubber seals in the 2 brass valves on top of the pump in the boot. They werent sitting in the right groove on the valves. Stopped them spraying fluid into the boot well and losing pressure.

Next fix...bit weird. I read this somewhere. I had skidded off a country track once and scuffed the underneath of the nearside front.
My temperature sensor was knackered and the Aircon was getting thrown out. I replaced it, £15 max on eBay. It's behind the bumper on the front left of the car.

Next one, and this may have done the trick, was to replace one of the parking sensor which was faulty. £12 on eBay.

Take off front bumper for both jobs. Simple unplug old, plug in new, bumper back on. Took me less than an hour.

Problem solved
So happy!

Try these 3 simple fixes in case they work for you....