Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine fault! Reduced power

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:16 pm

Driving home last night the engine fault icon came on and a message came on the screen:

So I drove it home trying to keep under 2k revs. Took it into the dealer this morning and left it with them. They said it had several errors and I need to book it in for further diagnostics. So I did that, but its not until July 6th! They said its ok to drive in the meantime.

This is the list of codes:

Incidentally, there has been a noise from the back of the exhaust when driving, I think its the flap - it sounds a bit raspy when pressing or releasing the throttle, and when I collected the car tonight, the exhaust is different....sounds normal, but when lifting off the accelerator, instead of getting some pops etc, it sounds more like a blown exhaust!

Can anyone explain the codes? It had a full service on Saturday....is it coincidence that this has happened now?
(the mileage is in km's)
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:37 pm

Who did the service?
Vidi, vici, veni

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:03 am

Charge pressure problems is usually charge controllers, split pipes , wastegate problems ..

Can’t see why it would have anything to do with servicing the car

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:41 pm

Busterboo wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:37 pm Who did the service?
It was serviced at the same BMW dealer.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:50 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:03 am Charge pressure problems is usually charge controllers, split pipes , wastegate problems ..

Can’t see why it would have anything to do with servicing the car
Like you say, it might be nothing to do with the service, I'm just thinking it is a coincidence.

However, all the distance readings are in km...I converted them to miles and every one is since I collected the car! I collected it at about 48200 and the first one is 48645. Is this just bad luck, or could they have cleared the codes (without fixing the problem) and gradually they have come back?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:41 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:41 pm
Busterboo wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:37 pm Who did the service?
It was serviced at the same BMW dealer.
(We're going round in circles here.)

If the dealer is one of the big 'uns - Sytner, for example - take the car back and raise merry Hell. They will have a predetermined corporate response - 'resist/refuse', then 'offer a compromise' and finally 'pay' - that you should be able to take advantage of.
Vidi, vici, veni

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:11 pm

Circles? Why? I answered your question?...or did you mean WHO did it, i.e. dealership name? Small dealership, about 5 branches, "Westerly". Going in shouting would achieve nothing at this stage, because they haven't fully investigated yet. I'm just hoping that whatever it is, isn't damaging the service items (i.e. spark plugs?)

So today I had to divert from normal route home due to an accident. The new way had some monster hills...up and down! (never been that way before).

Think I confused those behind that I had roof down, but struggled to keep at 40mph going uphill! Lack of power is an understatement, I was downshifting to about 3rd I think. Also, the exhaust flap is stuck open...don't know if thats related, but the engine makes all the noises, just no oomph!

Not soon after those hills, I could smell a smell that is quite common here (Devon) from houses with proper wood fires and chimneys....but it might have been brakes (they were new last weekend and there was some braking down those hills (I have used the brakes with caution and avoided heavy braking since they were new, so hopefully not glazed?).

Or....could it have been something else related to the engine problem? If the car is saying its ok to continue, then it must be safe to drive, and the reduced power to make sure?

Obviously no one can tell, I'm just trying to remain positive.....
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:33 am

Two more days to go ...
Vidi, vici, veni

djstan

Post by djstan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:23 am

Which Westerly is yours going in to? Mine's going in to Westerly Bridgwater tomorrow :)
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:55 am

Busterboo wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:33 am Two more days to go ...
Yep, can’t wait till its fixed and I can drive it properly again.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:57 am

djstan wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:23 am Which Westerly is yours going in to? Mine's going in to Westerly Bridgwater tomorrow :)
Barnstaple, i’m sure they’ve got me a car from Bridgewater before....definately Exeter and Dorchester!

My salesman loves me, cos I go in knowing what I want, he doesn't have to do any selling! (Although I didnt get this one from him).
2011 E89 sDrive20i

djstan

Post by djstan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:13 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:57 am
djstan wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:23 am Which Westerly is yours going in to? Mine's going in to Westerly Bridgwater tomorrow :)
Barnstaple, i’m sure they’ve got me a car from Bridgewater before....definately Exeter and Dorchester!

My salesman loves me, cos I go in knowing what I want, he doesn't have to do any selling! (Although I didnt get this one from him).
:thumbsup: Hope you get yours sorted this week then..
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:37 pm

Thanks, i hope so too!
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:21 pm

And?

It's Friday evening! So, come on, what's happened?
Vidi, vici, veni

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:17 pm

ok ok, give me time :)

They had it booked in for Friday and Saturday, incase they needed to order any parts.

Dropped it off yesterday morning and got a horrible looking 5 door mini cooper Sd as a loan. Black with white roof and white wheels...puke!

I used to have a Cooper S, and always looked down on the diesel version. Bugger me, I was wrong! This thing went like poopoo off a stick! (although I do morally disagree with the big "on steroids" mini's, should only be the two door hatch!).

Anyway, back to my car.

Phoned them last night to find out and they said it was done but the service dept would phone me back...which they didn't do :thumbsdown: By then it was too late anyway as I was still at work and wouldn't make it in time.

I was busy this morning and Deb's car was going in at 3 for oil service, so figured I'd take it back then. They rung me and text me to say it was ready, so I made them wait.

So....went to collect it. Its all done, didn't need any parts as when they serviced it they knocked a pipe loose! So it was their fault (and I told them that!). Obviously wasn't fluid, must've been air/exhaust etc but I don't know what.

Did feel a bit upset that it was their fault (and therefore avoidable) but was glad there was an easy reason for it, and not that the engine had a real fault (with the other problems I've had with it I was thinking more and more that its a lemon).

Didn't make a thing of it but in theory I could've hit them for some form of compo, but i'm not really like that. So they got away with their cock-up, but I am surprised they admitted it as they could've given me any bull-poop and I wouldn't be any wiser! I bet they charge the warranty for their time!

Took it for a drive and its back to normal, although too much bloody traffic to really enjoy, but the acceleration is back and the exhaust sounds much, much better. They said no fault found with the exhaust system so I guess it was all linked to the engine management?

Still didn't do the rear brakes as they reckon they are on back order from Germany.

They had another customers Z4 in the car park, so I took the opportunity to check out the front bumper situation to compare to mine. I think that other car was worse! One side there was a gap like mine, but the other side, the bonnet was almost touching the bumper, too close, and the light units look a bit like mine. Mine is equal on both sides, so after seeing that one I am actually quite happy with mine.
2011 E89 sDrive20i