Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

OMG!!!! Low oil warning on 35is

dhplachy

Post by dhplachy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:35 pm

Greetings, it has been a very long time since I've needed to post on the site.

My 2012 35is that I had built when I was in Iraq back in 2012 is now closing in on 75,000 miles.

I drive it like I own it and don't regret the mileage. :driving: I'm on the 3rd set of tires and BMW has replaced all but 1 of the wheels due to cracks, but that is a discussion for another day.

The reason I needed to get on the site and post was what happened on Father's Day weekend.

My Bimmer was last serviced (oil and filter) in November 2017 and then put up for the winter and was just taken out of storage last month. I've probably put about 2,500 miles on it since then (mainly with the top down). On Sunday, I had driven it to meet up with my Son for Father's Day (about 200 miles) and after dinner got into the car to head home and started it up only to hear that dreaded chime. :headbang:

The Navigation screen had a warning that the oil was more than a quart low and needed oil added and recommended the car not be driven. This of course surprised me since even though it has some miles, it has never burned oil and quite frankly was on a fresh oil change. The thought of keeping a bottle of oil in the car never had crossed my mind since it never burned any oil and was always sitting at the Max after 12 months of driving. I was luckily near a parts place and was able to purchase some Castrol Synthetic 5w30 and added a quart. Once I started it up, the display showed that it was sitting right at maximum and all was fine.

I was a little concerned about adding any oil just in case it was the level sensor and I didn't want to the engine overfilled which would also cause damage, but the display isn't saying it's overfull.

Anyway, there are no oil spots on the garage floor where I store it at home and there was no oil on the ground by the restaurant where it was parked on Sunday...so does anyone have any ideas as to why it would suddenly go a quart low? Also, I'm not crazy about mixing oils so what oil should I have on hand that matches what the BMW Dealer uses? I purchased the extended warranty and extended maintenance so all work has been handled by the Dealers.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:50 pm

Hi, had you checked the level after your recent service or just assumed it was to the max? The garage may have left it just above the minimum level using muppetry of the highest order :o
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:57 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:50 pm Hi, had you checked the level after your recent service or just assumed it was to the max? The garage may have left it just above the minimum level using muppetry of the highest order :o
Rob
I’d bet 99.999999999999999999% recuring that this is the problem....complete shower of 42 carat couldn’t give a shite dipsticks.... :headbang: :headbang:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:11 am

Assuming that you did check the oil level at some point in the 2500 miles since it was serviced and it was ok...

Then it could be that the turbo’s are starting to pass a bit of oil and the level has gradually gone down..

Oil control rings due stick in many BMW engines, so maybe this is the start of something?

Any smoke out the back at any time?

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:28 am

1 Phone your local travelling mechanic (so you don't have to drive to a garage). Ask him to drain & re-fill your engine, replacing the oil filter. (Or do this yourself if you have the kit, including disposal facilities.)
2 Measure the oil that comes out. (Then you'll know how much you're talking about, because at the moment it's a mystery.)
3 Examine it and the filter for debris. (There's very probably nothing there, but it's always good to check.)
4 If all's OK, run the engine to temperature, looking & listening for abnormal signs, including display warnings.
5 If fine, use.
6 Alternatively, phone your local AD and let them sort it out.

I recommend step 6.
Vidi, vici, veni

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:52 pm

Busterboo wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:28 am 1 Phone your local travelling mechanic (so you don't have to drive to a garage). Ask him to drain & re-fill your engine, replacing the oil filter. (Or do this yourself if you have the kit, including disposal facilities.)
2 Measure the oil that comes out. (Then you'll know how much you're talking about, because at the moment it's a mystery.)
3 Examine it and the filter for debris. (There's very probably nothing there, but it's always good to check.)
4 If all's OK, run the engine to temperature, looking & listening for abnormal signs, including display warnings.
5 If fine, use.
6 Alternatively, phone your local AD and let them sort it out.

I recommend step 6.
I would recommend adding a step 3a. Refill engine with oil :lol:
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:31 pm

And 3b. After installing new filter.

Amazingly, 3a & b were assumed.
Vidi, vici, veni

djstan

Post by djstan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:44 am

Busterboo wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:31 pm And 3b. After installing new filter.

Amazingly, 3a & b were assumed.
Was it not part of 1) ?
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey