Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

RFTs and mixing

Busterboo

RFTs and mixing

Post by Busterboo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:09 pm

mr wilks wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:35 pm Ive run countless sets of different wheels & tyres on a variety of different Zs , out on the road in all manner of driving there was no way the mixed tyre set up showed up ...
So, basically, as long as they're the same size as the wheels, they'll do. :thumbsup:
Vidi, vici, veni

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

RFTs and mixing

Post by mr wilks » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:12 am

Busterboo wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:09 pm
mr wilks wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:35 pm Ive run countless sets of different wheels & tyres on a variety of different Zs , out on the road in all manner of driving there was no way the mixed tyre set up showed up ...
So, basically, as long as they're the same size as the wheels, they'll do. :thumbsup:
Sorry , just to highlight for those like yourself who may misinterpret what i wrote above ,
ive run countless sets of wheels on a variety of Z4s " that have had matching sets of tyres " so i know how they could & should drive , if the car is planted from the off with no issues like my my last E86 was then i can 100% state that changing from a staggered set of 19inch rep style 405s fitted with 4x MPS all 5mm onto a set of style 326 with runflats front / non runflats rear made zero difference to my cars handling characteristics on a variety of roads , surfaces & speeds .
That was my real world findings :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

RFTs and mixing

Post by flybobbie » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:53 am

If you have mixed tyres and experience a problem, then not mixed and the problem goes away, then therefore there is a problem running mixed. That was my experience. That was both 17 inch and 18 inch wheels.
Problem was most noticeable on the country lanes i drive everyday where the rears seemed to take the bumps in their stride, but the fronts wanted to squirm around the bumps making the steering, which already compromised being epas, unpleasant.
I also think the front wheels are too wide.

Tyreman

RFTs and mixing

Post by Tyreman » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:06 am

mr wilks wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:35 pm
Tyreman wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:23 pm
mr wilks wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:25 pm If Its that dangerous you would expect it to be illegal or at very least a MOT fail :roll:

How many people think that's a desirable situation ? :roll:
& how many are offering opinion based on internet reading as opposed to actual experience :roll:
For the very purpose of curiosity I recently tried a set of 19s for a good while on a E86 Si , rears were standard , fronts were runflat ( all quality brand & 5mm minimum )
Ive run countless sets of different wheels & tyres on a variety of different Zs , out on the road in all manner of driving there was no way the mixed tyre set up showed up & whilst not doing track speeds i was more than enjoying the car , roads & speed limits :wink: .
The simple truth is no , its not desirable & no you wouldn't actively seek it out as a option but its by no means the lethal danger some would like you to believe .
I've only got 33 yrs of experience in the tyre industry so I will obviously bow to your greater knowledge :?

spence89

RFTs and mixing

Post by spence89 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:40 pm

Thanks everyone for you're thoughts. Im getting the fronts changed to match next week. I'll let you know how that goes.

Almost feels like the traction is kicking in on sweeping corners. Sport+ seems to fix this.

Will update when theyre all matched up! Thanks again!
E89 23i M-Sport