Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

shake RATTLE and roll

ihadablackdog

shake RATTLE and roll

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:08 pm

ok, so I havent rolled it, but it does have quite a few rattles, mainly from behind the dash.

Thing is, sometimes they are worse than others. Different road surfaces make a difference...sometimes no rattles, then on poorer surfaces, lots of rattles. Is this normal, and due to suspension/RFT etc?

However, driving the same roads, on some days its much better than on others? Temperature related?

Are such rattles common (on a 7yr old car) and any advice on how to remove/reduce them?

Obviously, roof down or music playing and they aren't a problem!
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Steelee

shake RATTLE and roll

Post by Steelee » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Mines only 4 years old and has rattles etc, not great really but not a lot you can do really I don't think.

Pbondar

shake RATTLE and roll

Post by Pbondar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:18 am

For the brave the best solution seems to pop off the various trim and stuff a combo of closed cell foam and double sided high density sticking tape/rubber..

I had a very irrational rattle around the light switch which I sorted this way...an eBay trim removal kit for £10 is your friend here..

ihadablackdog

shake RATTLE and roll

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:33 am

Yes, I think that is the way to go, but a lot of them are behind the dash, so might be a bit big of a job for me.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

shake RATTLE and roll

Post by flybobbie » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:35 pm

My 21st rattle problem is the passenger sun visor. Something rattles inside as it's mostly hollow, another rubbish design.
If i can't cure it good mind just to remove it.

Nick9one1

shake RATTLE and roll

Post by Nick9one1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:36 am

I've also got quite a few rattles.

I previously had an R171 SLK350 which suffered from creaking/rattling noises. I discovered that it was due to dry seals. 10 minutes and a bottle of Gummi Pflege cured the problem completely. I reapplied about every 3 months and the car was completely silent. I was quite surprised at what I thought was loose trim was actually the rubber seals.

This definitely works on the E89, but unfortunately is not the only cause of squeaks and rattles.

So far I've cured a rattle in the door, rear light and latching mechanism in the roof.
Just recently it's developed a rattle in the headlining and passenger sun visor.

Definitely give the Gummi Pflege a try if you haven't already, I think you'll be surprised.
I find partially opening the roof is the best way to apply. Rub it on generously, leave for a few minutes then wipe of the excess with a microfiber cloth.
Z4 35i Space Gray, Red Leather
Stepped Intercooler
De-Cat Downpipes
HKS SSQV
MHD 98RON Stage 2+
395 BHP :driving:

Busterboo

shake RATTLE and roll

Post by Busterboo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:10 am

Thank you, Nick9one1. Now I know why my 43k-mile 35iS doesn't rattle. Gummipflege!

A while back I did as much of the rubber as I could find - roof up, half-way & down, then inside boot, doors & bonnet - and the car's near as makes no matter silent now. Well, you hear nothing above the engine. And this in a city & county that pride themselves in their potholes.

I used it originally to preserve the large quantity of rubber in the car - more than any I've had, I think. Now, I'm happy with the bonus.
Vidi, vici, veni

Gaffa22

shake RATTLE and roll

Post by Gaffa22 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:17 pm

ihadablackdog
are you still on runflat tyres ?
ditching the run flats and running 34f 36r tyre pressures will help I believe

I'm lucky that i don't get any rattles from the dash, just the odd noise form the roof when going over rough roads
2010 E89 35i DCT
2017 Honda CBR1000RR fireblade
2016 Honda VFR1200F

ihadablackdog

shake RATTLE and roll

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:01 pm

I have gummied it but its the plastic etc behind the dash.

Yes, still on runflats which pick up every imperfection in the road surface, but cant afford nrft at the moment.

Sometimes it seems worse than at other times, even on the same roads.

Could it be related to the external temperature do you think?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Busterboo

shake RATTLE and roll

Post by Busterboo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:28 pm

Liquorice strips on big wheels aren't going to be affected so much by temperature that it makes the car rattle more, are they?
Vidi, vici, veni

Yorkie Z

shake RATTLE and roll

Post by Yorkie Z » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:40 pm

Expanding foam 8)
Attachments
IMG_5062.JPG
IMG_5062.JPG (67.25 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
A Dirty M///

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

shake RATTLE and roll

Post by Nictrix » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:44 pm

Busterboo wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:28 pm Liquorice strips on big wheels aren't going to be affected so much by temperature that it makes the car rattle more, are they?
Im sure he means that temperature affects the plastics inside the car making them rattle more.
I cant be sure but I seem to have found that when there are creaks in the cabin that were not there the day before lowering and raising the roof helped. This might reseat the rubbers in a slightly different place.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Busterboo

shake RATTLE and roll

Post by Busterboo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:08 am

Duh! :D
Vidi, vici, veni

ihadablackdog

shake RATTLE and roll

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:40 pm

Nictrix wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:44 pm
Busterboo wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:28 pm Liquorice strips on big wheels aren't going to be affected so much by temperature that it makes the car rattle more, are they?
Im sure he means that temperature affects the plastics inside the car making them rattle more.
I cant be sure but I seem to have found that when there are creaks in the cabin that were not there the day before lowering and raising the roof helped. This might reseat the rubbers in a slightly different place.
Yes, temperature of the plastic etc. Just a thought, and not very scientific, cos the rattles come and go so randomly, so what is the difference that causes it to rattle one day and not the next! I do get creaking as well, so will try the roof.

Blimin engine warning light came on tonight, saying reduced power and goto garage. Gonna take it in first thing...they gave it a full service on Sat, so must've messed something up! They are incompetent (main dealer)...it was also meant to have new pads and discs all round, and had been booked in for a couple of weeks...they didn't have any rear discs!!!
2011 E89 sDrive20i