Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Boot and other issues possibly battery related?

Nick1526

Post by Nick1526 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:30 am

You can see my original post below and this will make more sense I you read that first but here is what fixed it. First I replaced my battery as it was the original that came with the car and was 7 years old. I don't know why one battery test standard said replace (EN test) the battery but another said it was good (SAE test) but I decided 7 years was old enough so I have a new one which I found online at a much cheaper price than the original quote of £300 (The supplier they used charged £280 for this Exide AGM battery in store but had an offshoot online only company that had it for £189). Changing the battery did not solve my boot and alarm issues though.

Turns out a sensor in the boot on the passenger side was the main fault detected by the garage it had been flagged 95 times by the car computer which sounded right. I had a new sensor fitted a few days later and once it had been attached the mechanic noticed the boot error light was still coming up. He opened and closed it a few times and then checked a wire in the boot mechanism. This wire had not come up on the diagnostic like the sensor had and was not flagged as an error by the car. However the three connecting wires for this boot part had all been cut clean off seamlessly he thinks possibly by the boot mechanism turning. They brought the wire out to show me how clean cut it was and also because of how strange it was to happen without appearing on the diagnostic. It had possibly just been touching enough to think it was still connected. They didn't replace the part as it was fine they just reattached it after sorting the wire ends out.

So far I've had no alarm issues, boot warning lights or roof issues since the fix so hoping it stays that way. Thanks again to everyone who offered their input and I thought it would be nice to share what fixed it as too many posts about things breaking on the internet don't go on to actually tell you what fixed it in the end :thumbsup:

Original message below.

-----------------------------------------

Apologies for the long post.

I have owned my 2011 S-drive 23i for 6 weeks and until now without issue bar the alarm going off once randomly the first week according to a neighbour while I was out. Last week when locking my car the boot began to whir continuously as if it couldn't quite lock in place. It had not been opened. I unlocked the car, opened the boot, closed it and locked it all seemed fine.

While driving this weekend however I keep getting the boot open warning light. The first time I stopped to check it and was unable to open it manually I had to use the fob. I closed it and drove off again and still had the warning light this time I kept going and it stopped however it kept happening intermittently. My car alarm has also started to go off, 4 times I know of since the boot issues this weekend. I also had one instance of partial roof close failure but I put it back down from it's half closed position and started again and it was ok.

I wanted to rule out an issue with a low battery so took it to a BMW garage they tested it away from me and said it was faulty and needed replacing. I asked if that could cause the issues I was experiencing. They said maybe and it was good place to start before looking at the boot mechanism which they said was fine when they tried it. They said my model of car needs an AGM battery specifically rather than a regular battery and it would be £300 for the battery + £45 fitting.

That sounded a lot so I went for a second opinion which complicated things further they did a battery test that said the battery was good. I told them about the conflicting result and they didn't think my current battery was an AGM one either as it would usually say on it. They had someone who knew more about BMW's come have a look. He did 2 battery tests, one in a mode called SAE said it was good but the test using EN said replace.

I went to a 3rd garage which again gave the same mixed result depending on SAE or EN.

None of them could say if the battery was leading to the issues with the boot but it's looking like it may be an issue in itself.

Given the range of issues I'm experiencing has anyone ever had a battery cause so many problems including the boot issue? The car is 7 years old and it's the original battery apparently so I'm thinking it's likely and worth checking before I replace anything in the boot?

Any advice or experience appreciated.
Last edited by Nick1526 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:08 am

Welcome to the forum :)
Modern BMW's are very sensitive when it comes to battery issues and with some of the problems you've got that's the first place I'd look
With a new battery it has to be programmed to the car but I'm sure any decent indie should be able to do this cheaper than BMW
As for the boot problems if the battery doesn't fix it it's probably one of the many sensors in there
There's quite a few people on here with greater knowledge than me and I'm sure they will be along to help :thumbsup:
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:36 am

Forum member dietcokeman did a great write up about the sensors an stuff that make roof an stuff work, I believe he's also fixed a few for other members,
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:24 am

Got my 7 year old battery replaced, fitted and coded at Halfords, £150. Would replace that battery first.
Boot problem made me change battery, turned out to be a manufacturing fault in the wiring to boot lock mechanism. Look elsewhere on forum.
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=91766&p=1515436&hi ... t#p1515436

Nick1526

Post by Nick1526 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:49 am

Thanks to those who have already replied I have seen dietcokemans name come up in a few of the posts I've checked before posting.

flybobbie I'll have a look at Halfords as an option as that seems better priced and matching what I've seen battery's go for online. The post you linked to is one of the ones I checked first but it looked a bit technical and I'm not overly confident doing anything myself just yet but I'll keep it in mind as an option to explore.

My alarm went off again at 4am this morning I had locked it by using the manual key in the door which I thought was meant to disable the alarm. Could be mistaken just advice I was given in the past.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:52 am

Nick1526 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:49 am Thanks to those who have already replied I have seen dietcokemans name come up in a few of the posts I've checked before posting.

flybobbie I'll have a look at Halfords as an option as that seems better priced and matching what I've seen battery's go for online. The post you linked to is one of the ones I checked first but it looked a bit technical and I'm not overly confident doing anything myself just yet but I'll keep it in mind as an option to explore.

My alarm went off again at 4am this morning I had locked it by using the manual key in the door which I thought was meant to disable the alarm. Could be mistaken just advice I was given in the past.
I think that just disables the internal alarm sensors :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

djstan

Post by djstan » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:58 am

Would putting a charger on it overnight show whether it's the battery or not? My thinking being that power is being supplied which may stop the alarm going off - would show if it's the battery or not? Just a thought..
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

Nick1526

Post by Nick1526 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:07 am

Thanks Smartbear that is probably what it does.

djstan that is an option. The BMW garage said the battery in its current condition won't hold the charge as I did ask if I should try that first. I was driving for a good few hours yesterday and didn't use the roof so I'd of thought that would give it a good charge. I've felt a sense of sluggishness in the roof and even folding mirrors recently. I have no baseline to compare it too but it doesn't feel like something that's fully powered it's hard to describe.

Nick1526

Post by Nick1526 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:01 am

I seem to have had the issue fixed now. I've also put this text with my original post for anyone reading it for the first time to find the answer quickly.

First I replaced my battery as it was the original that came with the car and was 7 years old. I don't know why one battery test standard said replace (EN test) the battery but another said it was good (SAE test) but I decided 7 years was old enough so I have a new one which I found online at a much cheaper price than the original quote of £300 (The supplier they used charged £280 for this Exide AGM battery in store but had an offshoot online only company that had it for £189). Changing the battery did not solve my boot and alarm issues though.

Turns out a sensor in the boot on the passenger side was the main fault detected by the garage it had been flagged 95 times by the car computer which sounded right. I had a new sensor fitted a few days later and once it had been attached the mechanic noticed the boot error light was still coming up. He opened and closed it a few times and then checked a wire in the boot mechanism. This wire had not come up on the diagnostic like the sensor had and was not flagged as an error by the car. However the three connecting wires for this boot part had all been cut clean off seamlessly he thinks possibly by the boot mechanism turning. They brought the wire out to show me how clean cut it was and also because of how strange it was to happen without appearing on the diagnostic. It had possibly just been touching enough to think it was still connected. They didn't replace the part as it was fine they just reattached it after sorting the wire ends out.

So far I've had no alarm issues, boot warning lights or roof issues since the fix so hoping it stays that way. Thanks again to everyone who offered their input and I thought it would be nice to share what fixed it as too many posts about things breaking on the internet don't go on to actually tell you what fixed it in the end :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:31 am

Well it seems you had the same problem as me, i wonder how many more cars are out there with this wiring fault.

djstan

Post by djstan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:18 am

Great news that you got it fixed!
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:21 pm

flybobbie wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:31 am Well it seems you had the same problem as me, i wonder how many more cars are out there with this wiring fault.
Are you’re cars both the same year? Hopefully this was discovered & sorted out before thousands of zeds suffered the same fate :o
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:34 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:21 pm
flybobbie wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:31 am Well it seems you had the same problem as me, i wonder how many more cars are out there with this wiring fault.
Are you’re cars both the same year? Hopefully this was discovered & sorted out before thousands of zeds suffered the same fate :o
Rob
Mine is 2009 and the other 2011, so they probably made tens of thousands of these in one large batch, so good luck everyone.
If you look back to the video link of the cable stripper i posted a link to, the machine can be set to cut wires to length, cut and strip to length bare wire or just cut. seems like these were cut almost through but then the wire fed and was then cut and striped leaving a weak point in the wire. And all three coloured wires were sent through the same machine with the same error.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2nm4B6T1rY