Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bodyshop quotes

ihadablackdog

Bodyshop quotes

Post by ihadablackdog » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:46 am

The front bumper on my car doesn't seem to align correctly....it's got larger panel gaps than I would expect (around the sides where it meets the bonnet, and above the lights). Will try and get pictures to explain better.

So I took it to my local bmw approved bodyshop who have been excellent in the past. They inspected it and said they believed it had hit a curb or something and become mis-aligned (I only got it in March and it's always been like this).

They also pointed out the colour (Alpine White) was a slightly different shade, and could tell it was sprayed on the car and not removed when repairing whatever damage was done. He said he fully believed it was not a major accident, as the lights have the original date stamps on them (2011) and in his opinion nothing else looks "touched".

So, with a respray to match the colour, it would be £750 + vat, or just to realign the bumper 4hrs work at £32+vat per hour.

I went for just the realignment as the shade is barely noticeable (only really in certain light and if you are specifically looking for it), and if it does bother me, I can get it done later.

Picked car up yesterday.....initially I thought it looked better (but not as good as I was hoping) but on reflection, and re-measuring the gaps (which I did previously)...there is no difference! Also, there is a bulge at the bottom, where it is under the car (front spoiler???) - I saw that when I collected it and its back in next Thursday to sort that, I just hope the plastic retains its original shape (flat) and doesn't "stretch" out of shape.

So, I watched my dash cam. Doesn't record when the engine is off, so I can't see what they did, but it did capture when it was driven into the bodyshop...and when it was driven out. It was in for 1hr 20 mins!

Should I pay the original quote of 4hrs (which I did pay), when I now know it was only 1hr 20?

He definitely quoted on time, estimating it would take 4hrs so would be roughly £150....he didn't quote for the job as being £150, if that makes sense. He even commented that although his guys are BMW trained, they can't charge the same hourly rate as BMW. £150 for 1hr 20m work is a lot more than £32+vat per hour!

So do I keep quiet, bearing in mind if it had been 6 hours I would not want to pay any more than the estimated 4 hrs.

I'm a d1ck with these things, didn't question it at the time, which might mean it's too late, but just wondering what others would do?

Regarding it not appearing to be any better....should I still pay anything at all, considering he told me he was certain they could make it "right". ok, they did spend "some" time on it, but if there is no improvement, would I be within my rights to moan?

The thing is, I just want it to look right, if they could do that, then I wouldn't care about the money.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ekimj10

Bodyshop quotes

Post by ekimj10 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:00 pm

Clearly you are unhappy with workmanship and price charged, so if it was me I would go back and point out all of your misgivings. They may not be too interested but sometimes a veiled threat of very negative comments on their website can be persuasive. Best of luck if you decide to follow up.
2.2R Toledo Blue

Phoenixboy

Bodyshop quotes

Post by Phoenixboy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:25 pm

I would not be to happy.
if they had done a spot on job, I would not be to bothered, but as they appear not to have done, I would be pointing out the issue.
I would however, probably let them put it right first, and then suggest, if they had taken the time they suggested it would take, you would not have the hassle of coming back for them to do the job properly.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

Mighty1

Bodyshop quotes

Post by Mighty1 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Hi
As previously stated you’re obviously not happy with the job I would take it back tell them you previously measured the bumper and that it is still in the exact place see what he says to that
Then tell him that your dashcam showed it only took 1 and bit hours to repair if necessary show him the dash cam footage and it can’t lie
If you’re still happy mention review on web site etc or even trading standards as they seem to have not done the job correctly but charged for the full 4 hours
Geoff
Previous
Z4 2.0 M sport
Porsche Boxster
SLk 3.5
MK1 Mx5
Currently z2.5 Auto exclusive Maldives blue

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Bodyshop quotes

Post by jabber » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:57 pm

Personally I would go back and complain
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

ihadablackdog

Bodyshop quotes

Post by ihadablackdog » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:54 pm

I've taken some pictures to show the gaps (I just signed up for flickr to host my images, so this is my first album!). They probably look better in the pictures than they actually are, but I hope this gives an idea of what I'm talking about. Some of the gaps range from 4mm to 8mm!!! Also is a picture of the bulge I mentioned.

The gaps are pretty much equal on both sides, so it seems "straight", although I wonder if its the light units that are wrong, as they seem to protrude too far from the front of the bonnet...I can get my finger in the gap, and in two of the shots you can see how on one side there is a gap between the bumper and on the other side there isn't.

For comparison, there are 3 pictures at the end of the album showing the first Z4 I had - that one was brand new back in 2012.

From a little way away it doesn't look too bad, but up close its really obvious - how do they compare to your cars?

https://flic.kr/s/aHskCeSkW9

I'm definitely going to discuss it with them when I go in on Thursday and say the guy said he could get it much much better. At the very least, they charged me for 4 hrs work when (if I'm generous) it should've only been 2hrs (rounded up).

They've got to keep it in to sort out the bulge that they've created, so I will tell them to have another go at the rest, I will point out the main areas and suggest the lights might be wrong, therefore putting the bumper out. And if the bulge doesn't go back straight then what do I say?

I would much rather they get it right than have my money back...so it's not in my interest to get difficult with them (at this stage). If they reckon they can't get it any better, then i'll be asking for a full refund, as I can't see any improvement.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ihadablackdog

Bodyshop quotes

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:55 am

Does anyone have any opinion on this?

Its going back in tomorrow and it would be nice to know if it is fitting incorrectly or if its quite common?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

markalp

Bodyshop quotes

Post by markalp » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:16 am

ihadablackdog wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:55 am Does anyone have any opinion on this?

Its going back in tomorrow and it would be nice to know if it is fitting incorrectly or if its quite common?
The only thing I can say is that £32+VAT for labour is VERY cheap. I have found rates are usualy between £70 and £90, so the £150 seems about right for 1.5 hours work.

The problem i see with the gaps is they they are not even along the edge, and yes that would bug the hell out of me too.

I would definately tell them the gaps havent changed, and ask them to re-align it again, also see if they can do it while you wait.
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

Mister T

Bodyshop quotes

Post by Mister T » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:32 pm

Looks to me like it has had a bump and something behind the bumper is bent / misaligned (hence headlight to bonnet gap).

I doubt they will be able to get it much better without stripping the whole front end down to find the root cause.

ihadablackdog

Bodyshop quotes

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:21 pm

Thanks,

We’ve used them a few times in the past when Deb has had knocks and the workmanship has been fine...those were insurance jobs so I don’t know what they charged.

The guy said he suspected a collision, but nothing major and almost (not quite, but almost) guaranteed he could fix it.

The thing is, I was expecting them to strip it down and check everything, but it seems like they just undid a few bolts and tried to move it and tighten them up again.

I am hopefully seeing the same guy tomorrow morning (I rang them and said I dont think there is any change) so can point out the lights....theres a risk he might say it will be more expensive and then i’ll ask what the original 4 hours was for and why they only spent 1hr 20 on it!

Can’t wait whilst they do it as i’m dropping it off before work, so can’t hang around....especially if they do it properly and do spend 4 hrs on it!

If its still no better then i’ll be asking for a refund (but what do I do if they cant fix the bulge that they introduced?).

Do BMW have tolerances for these things and would an approved bodyshop have access to all measurements etc?.....and could I get hold of them (if they exist)?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ihadablackdog

Bodyshop quotes

Post by ihadablackdog » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Bloody incompetent tossers have my car over the weekend!

It went in Thursday morning and as I can only collect it in the morning, I rang about 5 ish for an update. They said it wouldn't be ready till mid morning Friday, so I thought perhaps I can leave a bit early on Friday after work and collect it.

Rang them about 4.30 on Friday and when they rang back they said I could've collected it that morning (it was finished on Thursday!) and that the workshop manager wanted to do the handover. As it was now too late to collect it, I've got to wait till Monday morning to get it, and see the workshop manager.

So what is concerning me is that the guy I spoke to on Thursday evening, and the lady I spoke to last night, they both said they would check the notes...and then there was a delay, with the guy saying mid morning on Friday and the lady saying the previous day!

And now the workshop manager wants to see me when I collect!

Might be nothing, but I'm concerned there is something going on....perhaps he now thinks the damage is more serious, or just wants to explain what they have done.

I'll hopefully find out on Monday morning.....in the meantime I am driving a Shitsubishi Mirage....feel my pain!!!!
2011 E89 sDrive20i

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Bodyshop quotes

Post by john-e89 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:23 pm

Usual tail of the right hand has no clue whatsoever what the left one is doing...drives you crazy... :headbang:

Hopefully the manager wants to hand over to make sure you’re happy.....he probably drinks a fair amount in the evenings having to manage the banana splits crew all day.... :roll:

Best of luck, hope all is well. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

ihadablackdog

Bodyshop quotes

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:00 pm

So I collected the car yesterday morning.

They've fixed the "bulge" that they introduced.

Don't think there is any improvement in the gaps though, although naturally, he says he thinks its much better.

I guess it might be a bit better, but its not "perfect". Don't think the headlights protrude as much (only just) but the side gaps just seem too big to me. Only a few mm, but looking at other pictures online, mine are bigger.

He reckons its because the bumper is bent out of shape due to previous impact, and they can't put it back, resulting I guess in it not lining up perfect?

Not sure if that's true or just b0ll0x but I'm glad I didn't pay the extra £700ish for the re-spray!

So my dilemma now is do I live with it, get a new bumper (have enquired about one on here) or goto a different bodyshop...and possibly get the same results, or get someone who is more of a perfectionist!

Don't know what other local bodyshops are like, would need to ask opinion.

Haven't checked dash cam yet - doesn't really seem much point, but will probably look anyway.

edit: driving the Z4 yesterday after the loan car made me realise why I love it!
2011 E89 sDrive20i