Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Whine under acceleration

KrispyR

Whine under acceleration

Post by KrispyR » Thu May 24, 2018 10:30 pm

I've had my 23i for a few weeks (75k miles) now and noticed a whine when pulling away in 1st then 2nd. It's almost like a turbine noise, very odd. The road noise drowns it out if it does it in any higher gear.

I've done a few searches and found quite a few with the same issue, and a friend at work (35k miles) has one and its making a similar noise however not as loud or every pull way. Only thing is a lot of the threads have never been updated to see what fixed it / made it better.

Anyone have any info about it and what could help? I've read a few people have changed the gearbox oil.

Thanks!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Whine under acceleration

Post by buzyg » Fri May 25, 2018 12:01 am

Is it changing with engine revs or road speed? Where is the noise coming from? Have you dropped a glass of Chardonnay. :o

Lindo

Whine under acceleration

Post by Lindo » Sat May 26, 2018 7:21 pm

mine was making a whine when accelerating, sounded like the whine you get when you reverse , if you know what I mean, anyway bmw diagnosed it and it ended up being the crank shaft that had splintered off and knackered the engine and turbo, ended up needing a new one of each at a fitted cost of 13.5K, lucky for me I had it checked within weeks and the warranty paid for the new motor and turbo.