Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof problems

andyd93

Roof problems

Post by andyd93 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:18 pm

Hi all, hoping someone can help me!

I’ve only had my Z4 since Wednesday and today the roof operation has been flashing red at me saying the roof operation hasn’t fully completed, even though I am keeping hold of the button down and can hear a motor wurring still. The roof goes up and down, but it doesn’t seem to do the last part when the windows go up/down.

Then this evening I tried to close the roof and it came up out of the boot, the boot closed but the rear window would not fall down into place. I can put the roof down again from this point but not back up! And after a few attempts it warns me that roof hydraulic temperature is too high and won’t move. So I’ve had to leave it overnight with the roof down with a cover over it parked around the back of my house, I’m in for a sleepless night hoping nothing happens to it :(

When I moved the car there was a puddle of fluid coming from the centre of the car, anyone know if this would be causing the problem or is it a separate issue?

Heading to my local BMW garage in the morning to hopefully get it sorted and see what they think, but just thought I’d mention it on here to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Bought the car with a 3 month warranty so hopefully it should be covered under that.

Apologies for the long post guys but hopefully someone can help me :)
A28062D4-40A1-4F9C-87C0-020B02CF09C4.jpeg
A28062D4-40A1-4F9C-87C0-020B02CF09C4.jpeg (352.51 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
2012 BMW Z4 28i Msport
Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
Media package, Comfort package

ihadablackdog

Roof problems

Post by ihadablackdog » Sat May 19, 2018 4:08 pm

I have no idea, but feel sorry that you’ve had this problem only days since you got it!

Hope it gets sorted and isnt anything too big.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

andyd93

Roof problems

Post by andyd93 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:10 am

For anyone interested, car is booked in at the local BMW dealer today so hopefully they will diagnose the problem and I'll post an update regarding the fix when I get the car back.
2012 BMW Z4 28i Msport

djstan

Roof problems

Post by djstan » Thu May 24, 2018 11:15 am

I'd be interested to know how that goes. My roof has failed too, but it looks like it's a hydraulic pipe within the roof - BMW's recommendation is to replace the entire lot :x (I can understand it, because if part of it has failed and is locally repaired, what's to say it won't happen somewhere else too I guess).

The only problem I have is how much BMW want to charge for labour! That, and no indy nearby seems to want to touch it.

Rock. Hardplace. That's me in the middle.
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

dario

Roof problems

Post by dario » Thu May 24, 2018 11:03 pm

the water leak is most likely the air conditioning drain pipe. it exists the car just about where you explained.

As for the roof, check to see if you've left something in the boot.

I've heard that the limit switches can be an issue.

andyd93

Roof problems

Post by andyd93 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:34 am

Update -

Picked it up from BMW last night. They reported to me that the microswitch located between the drivers seat and the boot is faulty and will have to be replaced. However as they are busy at the moment and it's fairly tricky to get to I believe, I've had to re-book the car in for two weeks time for it to be fixed :headbang:

Apparently when they tested it the roof went down, but was completely stuck and wouldn't go back up again. They had to override the system to close the roof (no idea how they did this? Hopefully not by hand as I don't want any damage to the motor!). So the roof is now closed and I can drive the car until its fixed, however I'm going to have to deal with the warning bongs and messages saying the hardtop isn't closed properly for a couple of weeks. Windows won't go down and the boot won't open either while it thinks the roof isn't closed properly, luckily it's not exactly window down weather at the moment!

dario, you are correct about the water leak being from the air conditioning pipe. Nothing to worry about thank god!
2012 BMW Z4 28i Msport

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problems

Post by Smartbear » Fri May 25, 2018 9:38 am

andyd93 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:34 am Update -

Picked it up from BMW last night. They reported to me that the microswitch located between the drivers seat and the boot is faulty and will have to be replaced. However as they are busy at the moment and it's fairly tricky to get to I believe, I've had to re-book the car in for two weeks time for it to be fixed :headbang:

Apparently when they tested it the roof went down, but was completely stuck and wouldn't go back up again. They had to override the system to close the roof (no idea how they did this? Hopefully not by hand as I don't want any damage to the motor!). So the roof is now closed and I can drive the car until its fixed, however I'm going to have to deal with the warning bongs and messages saying the hardtop isn't closed properly for a couple of weeks. Windows won't go down and the boot won't open either while it thinks the roof isn't closed properly, luckily it's not exactly window down weather at the moment!

dario, you are correct about the water leak being from the air conditioning pipe. Nothing to worry about thank god!
Hi, Bmw software enables them to still operate the hardtop without all the normal “handshakes” being present. :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

andyd93

Roof problems

Post by andyd93 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:27 am

Smartbear wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:38 am Hi, Bmw software enables them to still operate the hardtop without all the normal “handshakes” being present. :thumbsup:
Rob
Thanks for the info Rob, that's good to know!
2012 BMW Z4 28i Msport