Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The Dreaded Cracked Alloys

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue May 15, 2018 9:22 pm

RustyZ4 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 pm
ihadablackdog wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:49 pm So at the risk of being thick (ok, I am thick), how do you tell if the wheel is cracked, and is it dangerous?

My suspicions would be loss of air pressure and yes, could be dangerous, but is it an obvious thing, i.e. quick loss of air, or a gradual thing and only really noticeable when looking?

I have the original M-Sport 18" wheels...I know its mainly 19's that are at risk, but do 18's get it also....we have some really bad potholes down here.
when they took my wheels off today, the cracks were on the inner rim, one was worse that the other, but very visible, I had no issue with losing air, I understand that is what will happen when the crack goes right through the rim,
There has been a few issues with 18`s doing it, but is mainly 19`s that suffer, I also have the run flats that I got with the car, that probably have 6mm of tread left, the first thing they said, was that the see very few for repair with non run flats, I was going to change them all when the rears need replacement, now im thinking I might change them all earlier :?
It’s still not a complete fix, I changed my tyres to non runflats & they still cracked again within a year-on our crummy roads they seem susceptible to it :thumbsdown:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Tue May 15, 2018 9:34 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:49 pm So at the risk of being thick (ok, I am thick), how do you tell if the wheel is cracked, and is it dangerous?

My suspicions would be loss of air pressure and yes, could be dangerous, but is it an obvious thing, i.e. quick loss of air, or a gradual thing and only really noticeable when looking?

I have the original M-Sport 18" wheels...I know its mainly 19's that are at risk, but do 18's get it also....we have some really bad potholes down here.
Here was my cracked wheel.
Gradual loss of pressure. 3 or 4 psi per day.

Andy.

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue May 15, 2018 10:06 pm

Thanks all, I understand it a bit better now.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed May 16, 2018 12:03 am

Has anybody heard of aftermarket alloys cracking?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

eff1guy

Post by eff1guy » Wed May 16, 2018 10:11 am

RustyZ4 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 pm I was going to change them all when the rears need replacement, now im thinking I might change them all earlier :?
Get them changed, you won't regret it and step up the rear profile to 35 as per Mr W's and others recommendations. I wish I'd changed mine as soon as I got the car but like you was reluctant because of the remaining tread. Mine failed MOT in December with 2 cracked rears even though they were apparently checked by the same dealership during service and health check at the end of October :roll:
Between service and MOT I had covered 67 miles and I know for definite I hadn't hit a pothole let alone 2! Apparently I had also gained a buckled front wheel. I too had warranty but it was a NO and their offer was new rear wheels at £615 each and £550 for the front, I kicked up a fuss and they had it back for a runout test which it passed. They then offered 50% contribution which I still wasn't happy with. Eventually, managed to get 2 rears for £550 (£275 each) and they also fitted and balanced my new tyres for free although I had to sign a disclaimer because of the incorrect tyre type and incorrect profile on the rears. :rofl:
Immediately took it to a local indy for a four wheel alignment and to get the buckle checked out, which they couldn't find. Alignment adjustments done and I haven't looked back since, so much more comfortable and enjoyable to drive :thumbsup:
Smartbear wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:22 pm It’s still not a complete fix, I changed my tyres to non runflats & they still cracked again within a year-on our crummy roads they seem susceptible to it :thumbsdown:
Rob
Rob, did they crack again in a new spot or did the welds fail?
Next Z landed ..... Z3 3.0i Sport Roadster

Z4 35iS ..... Gone to a new home

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed May 16, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi, my wheel cracked in a new place & the existing weld was intact.
You did better than me with the new wheel discount, I was offered 10% off! The uk seems to fare much worse than other countries for this issue, I think our appalling roads are a large factor :x
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed May 16, 2018 4:01 pm

Smartbear wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:35 pm ...... I think our appalling roads are a large factor :x
Rob
In France and Germany Ive seen signs warning of poor road surfaces ahead - these poor road surfaces are often better than our normal potholed excuse for roads.

If Euro can do it, why can’t we?

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:36 pm

ronk wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:01 pm
Smartbear wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:35 pm ...... I think our appalling roads are a large factor :x
Rob
In France and Germany Ive seen signs warning of poor road surfaces ahead - these poor road surfaces are often better than our normal potholed excuse for roads.

If Euro can do it, why can’t we?
You ought to drive in some parts of Italy, make our roads look smooth
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

pbr67_zed

Post by pbr67_zed » Thu May 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Just collected my car after it went in for a brake fluid change and a complementary "health check". They found a crack in one of my (19" 296) rears. No issues with losing air yet. Car was from an independent dealer, so no chance of a warranty covering the wheels.

Tiny, tiny, silver lining - the (non-BMW) garage couldn't get their equipment to reset the brake fluid service indicator, so gave me the fluid change for free! Might cover the cost of welding the wheel I suppose :(

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu May 17, 2018 3:49 pm

I have a suspicion that these cracks are not due to mechanical damgage and are due to internal manufacturing stress ?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu May 17, 2018 6:16 pm

ronk wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:49 pm I have a suspicion that these cracks are not due to mechanical damgage and are due to internal manufacturing stress ?
It’s strange how most of the instances are to wheels fitted with runflats though Ron, they must be contributing to the failures? :?
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Thu May 17, 2018 7:06 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:16 pm It’s strange how most of the instances are to wheels fitted with runflats though Ron, they must be contributing to the failures? :?
Rob
Are the runflat tyres so hard that they crack the wheel, Rob?
Vidi, vici, veni

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu May 17, 2018 7:48 pm

Busterboo wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:06 pm
Smartbear wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:16 pm It’s strange how most of the instances are to wheels fitted with runflats though Ron, they must be contributing to the failures? :?
Rob
Are the runflat tyres so hard that they crack the wheel, Rob?
I think that they don’t help an already fragile wheel survive in arduous conditions, it’s not just one thing but a combination of elements, just my opinion of course as I’m not a scientist :P
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Thu May 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Do you think runflats allow wheels to touch the ground? The edges of potholes, for example?

(Were there signs on your cracked wheels that they'd touched the ground?)
Vidi, vici, veni

dario

Post by dario » Thu May 17, 2018 9:26 pm

The simple fact in my opinion is that the wheels are manufactured weak. the load imposed on the inner edge is high given that the outer edge is supported by the spokes etc.

when mine turned up with 2 cracked wheels on the rear and it was going to cost me £1,100 to replace them....... to replace them again in the future i thought "I SHOULD COCO".

I bit the bullet and purchased some real wheels from a real wheel manufacturer.

my thread with the BBS wheel replacement viewtopic.php?f=23&t=95023