The Dreaded Cracked Alloys

User avatar
RustyZ4
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2508
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Maidstone, Kent

The Dreaded Cracked Alloys

Post by RustyZ4 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:07 pm

Well my car went in today for a "health check" and I got a call saying my two rear 19" 326 alloys have a crack in them both, yes I have warranty and no they are not covered, but the service manager was really helpful, told me to contact BMW services direct and kick up a stink, he thinks I have a good case, im gutted as I have only done 3k in it, and its only done 35k total, so fingers crossed. let the battle commence :headbang:
Z4 Mineral Grey, 2.8 MSport
Fender Strat x 3, Flying V, SG Twin Neck,Les Paul, Blackstar HT60

User avatar
Buckley06
Member
Member
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:17 pm

The Dreaded Cracked Alloys

Post by Buckley06 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:10 pm

:thumbsup:
Attachments
Screenshot_20180514-190924_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20180514-190924_Gallery.jpg (110.2 KiB) Viewed 379 times
Please check out my potential next project.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=106231

Online
User avatar
mr wilks
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 17779
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:02 pm
Location: Lancs or Normandy , i don't mind which

The Dreaded Cracked Alloys

Post by mr wilks » Mon May 14, 2018 7:13 pm

Bummer for sure :cry: are you sure they weren't already cracked on purchase ?
Z history
E86
E85
Grey///MR
3.0Si E85
E89 23i
3.0Si E85
E86
3.0Si E85
Imola///MR
35i Msport 6spd
E86

Silver///MR :driving:


Image

https://www.instagram.com/andybmwheels/

User avatar
RustyZ4
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2508
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Maidstone, Kent

The Dreaded Cracked Alloys

Post by RustyZ4 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:16 pm

mr wilks wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:13 pm
Bummer for sure :cry: are you sure they weren't already cracked on purchase ?

Well it came from a BMW dealer, North Oxford, not my local dealer obviously, so I have to assume they checked them
Z4 Mineral Grey, 2.8 MSport
Fender Strat x 3, Flying V, SG Twin Neck,Les Paul, Blackstar HT60

Online
User avatar
mr wilks
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 17779
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:02 pm
Location: Lancs or Normandy , i don't mind which

The Dreaded Cracked Alloys

Post by mr wilks » Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 pm

RustyZ4 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:16 pm
mr wilks wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:13 pm
Bummer for sure :cry: are you sure they weren't already cracked on purchase ?

Well it came from a BMW dealer, North Oxford, not my local dealer obviously, so I have to assume they checked them
Highly doubtful , if i bought any E89 with 19s id be wanting to see the inners of all 4 wheels before agreeing any deal
Z history
E86
E85
Grey///MR
3.0Si E85
E89 23i
3.0Si E85
E86
3.0Si E85
Imola///MR
35i Msport 6spd
E86

Silver///MR :driving:


Image

https://www.instagram.com/andybmwheels/

ihadablackdog
Member
Member
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:56 pm

The Dreaded Cracked Alloys

Post by ihadablackdog » Mon May 14, 2018 8:15 pm

RustyZ4 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:16 pm
mr wilks wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:13 pm
Bummer for sure :cry: are you sure they weren't already cracked on purchase ?

Well it came from a BMW dealer, North Oxford, not my local dealer obviously, so I have to assume they checked them
You are possibly wrong in assuming that (if my experience is anything to go by with a BMW dealer in Hook).

I've had problems with my car from collection at a dealer 150 miles from home. Not quite finished dealing with them yet (can't wait to though!), but when I have, I'll be putting a review in the dealer feedback section.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

User avatar
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6714
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 pm
Location: Chelmsford

The Dreaded Cracked Alloys

Post by Smartbear » Mon May 14, 2018 10:24 pm

RustyZ4 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:07 pm
Well my car went in today for a "health check" and I got a call saying my two rear 19" 326 alloys have a crack in them both, yes I have warranty and no they are not covered, but the service manager was really helpful, told me to contact BMW services direct and kick up a stink, he thinks I have a good case, im gutted as I have only done 3k in it, and its only done 35k total, so fingers crossed. let the battle commence :headbang:
My bmw dealer delightedly informed me I had a cracked 326 rear wheel after it’s inspection at 19k miles & just over 3 years old.
He also generously offered 10% off the price for a replacement (about a million pounds) :rofl:
Bmw uk were worse than useless and didn’t want to know, any money I spend will be going to indi’s from now on :thumbsup:
Rob
Image

e89 Sdrive2.0 18i, which has turned into a 20i :D
e89 Sdrive3.0i this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si, i sold my trouble free car...

Busterboo
Member
Member
Posts: 987
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:49 am

The Dreaded Cracked Alloys

Post by Busterboo » Tue May 15, 2018 8:33 am

Very sorry this has happened, OP.

Can you look at it as a chance for fun? Winding up BMW? Buying more wheels?
Vidi, vici, veni

User avatar
RustyZ4
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2508
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Maidstone, Kent

The Dreaded Cracked Alloys

Post by RustyZ4 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:21 pm

Busterboo wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:33 am
Very sorry this has happened, OP.

Can you look at it as a chance for fun? Winding up BMW? Buying more wheels?
Well it wasn't fun but it was worth a shot,,,, well they might consider a "contribution", but they would have to do a run out test, which I would have to pay for, etc etc

So I took them to a wheel refurber I know, he welded them up for £42 each,, problem solved for the moment
Z4 Mineral Grey, 2.8 MSport
Fender Strat x 3, Flying V, SG Twin Neck,Les Paul, Blackstar HT60

User avatar
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6714
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 pm
Location: Chelmsford

The Dreaded Cracked Alloys

Post by Smartbear » Tue May 15, 2018 5:26 pm

RustyZ4 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:21 pm
Busterboo wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:33 am
Very sorry this has happened, OP.

Can you look at it as a chance for fun? Winding up BMW? Buying more wheels?
Well it wasn't fun but it was worth a shot,,,, well they might consider a "contribution", but they would have to do a run out test, which I would have to pay for, etc etc

So I took them to a wheel refurber I know, he welded them up for £42 each,, problem solved for the moment

My 326 wheel passed their run-out test & Bmw still said no!
Rob
Image

e89 Sdrive2.0 18i, which has turned into a 20i :D
e89 Sdrive3.0i this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si, i sold my trouble free car...

User avatar
RustyZ4
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2508
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Maidstone, Kent

The Dreaded Cracked Alloys

Post by RustyZ4 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:35 pm

Smartbear wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:26 pm
RustyZ4 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:21 pm
Busterboo wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:33 am
Very sorry this has happened, OP.

Can you look at it as a chance for fun? Winding up BMW? Buying more wheels?
Well it wasn't fun but it was worth a shot,,,, well they might consider a "contribution", but they would have to do a run out test, which I would have to pay for, etc etc

So I took them to a wheel refurber I know, he welded them up for £42 each,, problem solved for the moment

My 326 wheel passed their run-out test & Bmw still said no!
Rob
So did you end up buying a new alloy Rob?

Russell
Z4 Mineral Grey, 2.8 MSport
Fender Strat x 3, Flying V, SG Twin Neck,Les Paul, Blackstar HT60

ihadablackdog
Member
Member
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:56 pm

The Dreaded Cracked Alloys

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue May 15, 2018 8:49 pm

So at the risk of being thick (ok, I am thick), how do you tell if the wheel is cracked, and is it dangerous?

My suspicions would be loss of air pressure and yes, could be dangerous, but is it an obvious thing, i.e. quick loss of air, or a gradual thing and only really noticeable when looking?

I have the original M-Sport 18" wheels...I know its mainly 19's that are at risk, but do 18's get it also....we have some really bad potholes down here.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

User avatar
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6714
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 pm
Location: Chelmsford

The Dreaded Cracked Alloys

Post by Smartbear » Tue May 15, 2018 9:14 pm

RustyZ4 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:35 pm
Smartbear wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:26 pm
RustyZ4 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:21 pm


Well it wasn't fun but it was worth a shot,,,, well they might consider a "contribution", but they would have to do a run out test, which I would have to pay for, etc etc

So I took them to a wheel refurber I know, he welded them up for £42 each,, problem solved for the moment

My 326 wheel passed their run-out test & Bmw still said no!
Rob
So did you end up buying a new alloy Rob?

Russell
Welded repair, I wasn’t going to pay £600+ for one wheel :evil:
Rob
Image

e89 Sdrive2.0 18i, which has turned into a 20i :D
e89 Sdrive3.0i this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si, i sold my trouble free car...

User avatar
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6714
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 pm
Location: Chelmsford

The Dreaded Cracked Alloys

Post by Smartbear » Tue May 15, 2018 9:15 pm

ihadablackdog wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:49 pm
So at the risk of being thick (ok, I am thick), how do you tell if the wheel is cracked, and is it dangerous?

My suspicions would be loss of air pressure and yes, could be dangerous, but is it an obvious thing, i.e. quick loss of air, or a gradual thing and only really noticeable when looking?

I have the original M-Sport 18" wheels...I know its mainly 19's that are at risk, but do 18's get it also....we have some really bad potholes down here.
They seem to crack on the inside rim edge, mine wasn’t losing air :?
Rob
Image

e89 Sdrive2.0 18i, which has turned into a 20i :D
e89 Sdrive3.0i this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si, i sold my trouble free car...

User avatar
RustyZ4
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2508
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Maidstone, Kent

The Dreaded Cracked Alloys

Post by RustyZ4 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 pm

ihadablackdog wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:49 pm
So at the risk of being thick (ok, I am thick), how do you tell if the wheel is cracked, and is it dangerous?

My suspicions would be loss of air pressure and yes, could be dangerous, but is it an obvious thing, i.e. quick loss of air, or a gradual thing and only really noticeable when looking?

I have the original M-Sport 18" wheels...I know its mainly 19's that are at risk, but do 18's get it also....we have some really bad potholes down here.
when they took my wheels off today, the cracks were on the inner rim, one was worse that the other, but very visible, I had no issue with losing air, I understand that is what will happen when the crack goes right through the rim,
There has been a few issues with 18`s doing it, but is mainly 19`s that suffer, I also have the run flats that I got with the car, that probably have 6mm of tread left, the first thing they said, was that the see very few for repair with non run flats, I was going to change them all when the rears need replacement, now im thinking I might change them all earlier :?
Z4 Mineral Grey, 2.8 MSport
Fender Strat x 3, Flying V, SG Twin Neck,Les Paul, Blackstar HT60

Post Reply