Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

whining air conditioning

Nick1526

whining air conditioning

Post by Nick1526 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:46 am

I've noticed a slight whining noise in my 2011 23i recently I've only had it about 2 months so don't have much experience with the car to know what's normal and what's not. I'm not sure if it's just started or if it's just I've noticed it now so can't stop hearing it. It's very difficult to place the source of the noise. It sounds like it's sometimes the centre of the car but other times it's like it is behind me. I have turned the air con off and would say it doesn't make much difference the sound is still there. I had a look at the engine while it was running but the noise of the engine drowned out everything else so couldn't tell very much. Next time I'm at a garage I'll see if they can think of anything.

clarker63

whining air conditioning

Post by clarker63 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:40 pm

so its back with BMW today... took me ages to try and demonstrate the noise to the mechanic when he was sat beside me (typical!). However eventually it played ball when stationary and revving it for a bit... on the move it didn't want to make that noise today, which might be air temperature dependant as its much cooler today than the last month or so.

The mechanic said after hearing it the most likely problem was the compressor (which as I have warranty, I'm ok with!).

They've now told me its a pipe damper... ordered in for tomorrow. Not sure I can believe that considering the noise it makes. Can't see anything like that on realoem.. I wonder if they're trying to fob me off because the compressor is $1174 ...
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

clarker63

whining air conditioning

Post by clarker63 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:44 pm

I now have it back. Its better (no loud whiring noises when accelerating), but its still quite noticeable as a separate noise when the air con is on... For example if I rev the car at 3000 RPM when stationary and then swtich the aircon on, you can easily identify an additional noise.

Probably I'm now being super critical, but having been charged £74 for a regas "it had to have that sir anyway" , and then £100 for the excess to put on the A/C damper (whatever that is), I'm feeling a little annoyed with them...so I'll give it a few days to see if I can live with it...

They have said they will call me in a week to see if I am ok with it... time will tell!
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.