Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fan controls not working...and then working again

strugglinauthor

Post by strugglinauthor » Wed May 09, 2018 10:37 pm

I was half way through a long(ish) journey today when I noticed that my heater controls had suddenly stopped working, together with the aircon. Completely dead, no lights. Stopped and re-started a couple of times to no avail. I decided it must have been a blown fuse but as I was quite a distance from home and it was getting dark I thought I'd check tomorrow. Just popped out and started the engine and it's all working again. Weird. Could be a loose wire but that would be a nightmare to trace.

Just after experiencing this I turned on the news to see the item about BMW recalls for iffy electrics. Bad timing.

Anyway, anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:44 pm

I’ve had similar where the auto setting wouldn’t work..light would illuminate for a second and then go off again. Problem seemed to be that the fan speed dial was ‘in between’ notches. Moving that sorted it.

Otherwise all the hvac control is done on the module behind the dials. It all comes out as one lump. Its connected to the rest of the car by a canbus link so might have just been a comms glitch. It will store a code that you can see with INPA if so (although it doesn’t bring any kind of dash warning light on).
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Thu May 10, 2018 7:55 am

No fan speed notches on an e89. It’s digital.

FWIW i’d Check the battery state first, if that’s ok, then the module is possibly failing but that’s very rare. Most issues like this are battery related (even with the car running).

strugglinauthor

Post by strugglinauthor » Thu May 10, 2018 8:04 am

Thanks for the replies, both. Much appreciated. The battery might be the answer. Although I've been trickle charging I have had an amber battery warning and the battery is now 7 years old. Perhaps this is the nudge I need to get it changed.