Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 headlights too low

warmasice

E89 headlights too low

Post by warmasice » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:30 am

Hi,

Had a few Mini courtesy cars while my car has been at the dealership. Always thought the headlights on the Minis were far better than the Zed. So much so, that I was thinking of replacing the oem xenon bulbs for some Osram Xenarcs.

I did a bit more digging and forum reading and I found that the auto headlight sensors could be faulty or have 'flipped'. This wasn't the case with mine so into the dealer it went.

They allowed me into their workshop and showed me how the headlights can be manually adjusted (I was already aware of this). Anyhow, they adjusted the headlights to the upper limit (but not beyond) of what is permitted. All I can say is WOW! The best headlights of any car I've driven by far!

Driving at night, I can see how the headlights auto adjust to the inclination of the road. All is working fine and the illumination of the road ahead is great.

I just wanted to put this here in case anyone else does some googling or forum searching.

Busterboo

E89 headlights too low

Post by Busterboo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:51 pm

Yep, Sytners did mine - drive in, drive out - for 'nowt.

Most importantly for me, they're not only good lights, but the colour's right. I had 'green' ones on a 911 and the world at night was a cold place - like watching black & white TV.
Vidi, vici, veni

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

E89 headlights too low

Post by flybobbie » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:09 am

Just be ready to be flashed by on coming cars on bumpy country roads.
I have had a few put their main beams on, they soon dip them when i go full beam.
As if their dipped lights don't dazzle me.
That's progress, or should i say car companies self certifying to EU standards.

mcbutler

E89 headlights too low

Post by mcbutler » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:26 pm

Can you share the process for manual adjustment?
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Marekdawg

E89 headlights too low

Post by Marekdawg » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:34 pm

I need to get around to getting this done, is it something you can get done yourself or better for the stealers to do?
Silver E89 Sdrive30I Msport. Black roof and other bits. :D :driving:

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

E89 headlights too low

Post by RustyZ4 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:51 pm

Mine are set right on the limit of height, I have been flashed a few times, but hey they are legal and they light up the road brilliantly, I recently went in my mates range rover, which obviously have a higher kelvin, they just made everything look cartoon , and I thought mine really reflected off road signs, his virtually made them unreadable
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

warmasice

E89 headlights too low

Post by warmasice » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:46 pm

mcbutler wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:26 pm Can you share the process for manual adjustment?
I wouldn't manually adjust them yourself. There is a legal upper (and lower) limit for which you need a machine like this to check the height:

Take it to a garage and have it done properly. They shouldn't really charge much (if at all) as it literally take seconds to do. My Sytner dealership didn't charge anything.

warmasice

E89 headlights too low

Post by warmasice » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:48 pm

Had them adjusted around a month ago (hadn't got round to posting). However, I've not been flashed yet, even though I thought I might!.. Road signs are clearly visible from some distance now and the road ahead is illuminated bright and clear. :driving:
Last edited by warmasice on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhplachy

E89 headlights too low

Post by dhplachy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:51 pm

I know this thread is a little old, but I haven't been on in a while (out driving my Bimmer)...

I have constantly had problems with my lights shining onto the ground right in front of my Z4, and after much research I learned that there is an "auto-leveling" device that keeps the headlights aimed. The device has a tendency to flip upside-down when going over a bump/hump and it causes the headlights to look down. It is so frustrating because it happens so often.

So in December, the headlights were again pointed at the ground and there was a very dark line just a few feet in front of the car with no lights so I took it into the dealer. Not only did they get them adjusted, but I believe they adjusted them higher than they had been before and now I see so much better at night. I've only been flashed by a few cars, but the headlights are so bright and white I could understand that it may be too bright to an oncoming car.

Mine has the feature where the headlights swivel to the left and right as one steers around curves, etc., so not sure if that has been a factor in their aiming issue.

Having said all that...I find it interesting what was posted above about manually adjusting the lights? Is that only on certain models?

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

E89 headlights too low

Post by flybobbie » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:39 pm

l.jpg
l.jpg (93.1 KiB) Viewed 2602 times

warmasice

E89 headlights too low

Post by warmasice » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:08 pm

dhplachy wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:51 pm I know this thread is a little old, but I haven't been on in a while (out driving my Bimmer)...

I have constantly had problems with my lights shining onto the ground right in front of my Z4, and after much research I learned that there is an "auto-leveling" device that keeps the headlights aimed. The device has a tendency to flip upside-down when going over a bump/hump and it causes the headlights to look down. It is so frustrating because it happens so often.

So in December, the headlights were again pointed at the ground and there was a very dark line just a few feet in front of the car with no lights so I took it into the dealer. Not only did they get them adjusted, but I believe they adjusted them higher than they had been before and now I see so much better at night. I've only been flashed by a few cars, but the headlights are so bright and white I could understand that it may be too bright to an oncoming car.

Mine has the feature where the headlights swivel to the left and right as one steers around curves, etc., so not sure if that has been a factor in their aiming issue.

Having said all that...I find it interesting what was posted above about manually adjusting the lights? Is that only on certain models?
Yes, the sensors can flip. However, I think BMW don't have the headlights set to the upper legal limit from factory. The auto light level sensor moves the beam of light higher or lower, depending on the road. The easiest way to imagine it is if you're going down hill, the headlights tilt up, to illuminate more of the road ahead, and the opposite going up a hill (so not to blind oncoming traffic).

I always thought the new Minis had amazing headlights. However, after mine were manually adjusted (same for all models), I'd say they're easily the best headlights I've experienced. The difference is literally night and day. Gone from the worst to the best!

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

E89 headlights too low

Post by flybobbie » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:05 am

When i accelerate i see my main beams dip down slightly and back up when i cruise.
I think they adjust to take in account the shift in weight with the roof down.

ihadablackdog

E89 headlights too low

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:37 pm

Slightly off topic...

Can the actual light units (not just the beam, but the whole light assembly) be adjusted, more specifically, moved backwards (closer to engine) by about 10mm ?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Busterboo

E89 headlights too low

Post by Busterboo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:23 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:37 pm Slightly off topic...

Can the actual light units (not just the beam, but the whole light assembly) be adjusted, more specifically, moved backwards (closer to engine) by about 10mm ?
Why do you want to do that? (Only curious. :) )
Vidi, vici, veni

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

E89 headlights too low

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:38 am

Busterboo wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:23 pm
ihadablackdog wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:37 pm Slightly off topic...

Why do you want to do that? (Only curious. :) )
Im sure you could add spacers to move them backwards and I think I know why you are asking.
Is it because the lights overhang the bumper slightly?
If it is this I think you would end up with larger gaps at the side of the light, off the top of my head I think its only the parts closest to the grills that overhang a bit so moving it would create a gap elsewhere.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)