Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Half Engine Warning Light

Tonyh2

Post by Tonyh2 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi All,
Not sure if anyone can help.
I test drove a manual E89 35i sdrive today, but the EML came on ( Half engine - Yellow).
Put fuel in it and drove back and it went out??
Should I just walk away??

2006 2.0 SE Z4 Roadster, Sterling grey,108's,ZHP and of course the compulsory stubby.

geordie_zed

Post by geordie_zed » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:38 pm

According to my handbook that means:

Full engine power is no longer available:
You can continue your journey, but moderate your speed and exercise due caution. Have the engine checked as soon as possible.

If it goes red then there is an engine malfunction and you should stop, switch off the car and call BMW Service ...

HTH.
==============================================
EEK my MPG is currently: Image

Peter-E36

Post by Peter-E36 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Tonyh2 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:41 pm Hi All,
I test drove a manual E89 35i sdrive today, but the EML came on ( Half engine - Yellow).

Could be various things really, I had that happen on my 335i (same N54 engine) and it turned out to be a vanos solenoid
E85 3.0i

markalp

Post by markalp » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:20 pm

Tonyh2 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:41 pm Hi All,

Yes, if your having EML coming on during the test drive then walk, unless it comes woth a nice long warranty that covers everything.
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

Tonyh2

Post by Tonyh2 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:59 pm

Thanks for the advise gents. I’m going to give it some serious thought.

Peter-E36

Post by Peter-E36 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:08 pm

Tonyh2 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:59 pm Thanks for the advise gents. I’m going to give it some serious thought.
My 2c... don’t walk away if it’s a nice car otherwise, especially if the price is right. Get it checked out by a trusted mechanic and get the codes read to find out what the issue is and if it’s something like the vamps solenoids its such an easy and relatively inexpensive fix (in my case one solenoid was faulty but I replaced both anyway parts were 260 Euro in total and fitted myself with the help of a friend)

Good luck :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm

It’s a sign that you should stick with the E85! :poke:
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Tonyh2

Post by Tonyh2 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:31 pm

paddy wright wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm It’s a sign that you should stick with the E85! :poke:
Haha. I’ve had her for 6 years now and enjoyed every minute ( despite the 4 pot haters on the forum). I wasn’t looking but this thing just landed on me so to speak. It’s a different animal. It’s almost 9 years younger although similar mileage to my E85. Heart says buy it but head says don’t. :headbang:

Tonyh2

Post by Tonyh2 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:37 pm

Peter-E36 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:08 pm
Tonyh2 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:59 pm Thanks for the advise gents. I’m going to give it some serious thought.
My 2c... don’t walk away if it’s a nice car otherwise, especially if the price is right. Get it checked out by a trusted mechanic and get the codes read to find out what the issue is and if it’s something like the vamps solenoids its such an easy and relatively inexpensive fix (in my case one solenoid was faulty but I replaced both anyway parts were 260 Euro in total and fitted myself with the help of a friend)

Good luck :thumbsup:

Cheers Peter
I’ll definitely do as you suggest.
I will get a mechanic to look at it first before I make a decision.

luffy

Post by luffy » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:27 pm

I apologize for bringing up this old thread. I had a similar issue with my vehicle recently; I didn’t know what to do at first but when I hit up the internet, I came across an in-depth article that may be worth reading. Search for "BMW Check Engine Light Half vs Full Meaning on YOUCANIC" and you will see an article that goes over common causes and possible fixes. You can read about it yourself. I hope this information can assist someone else with a similar issue.

Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:13 pm

This happened to me just after I hit an exceptionally large puddle which swamped the car. I drove on for a few miles home on reduced power and turned the engine off. Then restarted and all was fine and have no problem since. Just thought I would throw this in although prob wont help in your case.