Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Windscreen Washer Low Warning

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:19 pm

Is the car meant to tell me when the washer fluid is getting low?

Noticed this week that when washing the windscreen, the jets aren't very powerful...only just reaching the windscreen, and not "blasting". I'm quite sure it was "normal" a few weeks ago.

So I'm thinking the fluid is getting low...would that make sense, or should it be full force and then dry?

Obvious way to check is to fill it up, but I'd like to know if its meant to tell me (Deb's 2014 1'er does) cos then its another thing they can fix on warranty.

Guess I've got a year warranty, so probably worth filling up as I will have enough time to test it again.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:31 pm

I've not had an E89, but I'm sure it should tell you if the level is low.

So if you are only getting a dribble of fluid out of the washers you may have the typical gunged up pump filter problem that seems to afflict most BMWs.

It usually happens when you use different washer fluid - it reacts with the over-priced OEM stuff and the filters get covered in slime which stops the pumps getting any supply.

I've had it on my current E86 and the E46 I just sold. I just disconnected the pipes and wires to the pumps on the fluid reservoir then took the reservoir out. Removed the pumps and cleaned the filters with an old toothbrush, flushed the reservoir then put it all back together and refilled it - job done!

But whatever screenwash you put in it's probably best to keep using the same one, or it may happen again.

Hope you get it sorted. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:31 pm

Thats a good point, I hadn't considered that.

I always use the proper BMW stuff, but as I've only had it 3 weeks, I've no idea what the previous owner used.

I used to mix the solution as the bottle says (1part fluid 2 parts water)....2 litres of fluid for a 6 litre tank, but the parts man told me yesterday unless its freezing, you can get away with 500ml for a 6 litre tank, so that brings the cost down.

Just been out and checked it...seems a little better than I thought. He said to just put some clean water in and fill it up a bit to see if its the levels, then if it cures it add the washer fluid.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:19 pm

So I went and looked in the engine bay to see if I could see how much water was in the reservoir. The past few cars I've had, the reservoir was hidden, but the one in this car is fully on show. Probably about 90% full!

Got Deb to stand at the front of the car to see if the headlight washers work. Nope! When lights on, pull the wiper stalk towards me, windscreen wipers start and washer fluid spurts but the headlight washers pop up about a third of the way, then drop down again (no spray). This is both sides.

So it seems this is fooked as well! Quite probably blocked with gunk as you say, but as far as I'm concerned its a warranty job.

What else can be wrong with this car?

Going to contact the selling dealer tomorrow and ask to see a copy of the "140" point check they complete on every used car. I reckon the mechanic got to number 5 and gave up!
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:23 pm

That's a pain - hope you get it sorted. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Gaffa22

Post by Gaffa22 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:38 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:19 pm
Going to contact the selling dealer tomorrow and ask to see a copy of the "140" point check they complete on every used car. I reckon the mechanic got to number 5 and gave up!
Sounds about right.
2010 E89 35i DCT
2017 Honda CBR1000RR fireblade
2016 Honda VFR1200F