Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

replacement windscreen

mel_2013

replacement windscreen

Post by mel_2013 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:05 am

hi !

Just had to have my windscreen replaced as our county council love tar and chipping the same road :headbang:

anyways , auto glass did the replacement , and have done a great job ( eventually ) but one big problem , the wiper sensor is now very delayed and before I know It you cant see because of the rain !

any ideas?

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

replacement windscreen

Post by Chris_D » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:09 am

Get back and ask them to do a proper job of it...?
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

mel_2013

replacement windscreen

Post by mel_2013 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:14 am

I don't fancy dealing with Autoglass again anytime soon ! they was a disaster from start to finish ! I have to go to oceans this month , I will get them to check it for me I think. why cant anyone do a job right these days

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

replacement windscreen

Post by Chris_D » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:26 am

mel_2013 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:14 am I don't fancy dealing with Autoglass again anytime soon ! they was a disaster from start to finish ! I have to go to oceans this month , I will get them to check it for me I think. why cant anyone do a job right these days
Sorry, but you can't really complain at them doing a bad job and not be prepared to go back and challenge them on it! Doesnt make any sense I'm afraid.

It's your right as a consumer to go back and request they do a proper job including all functionality of your windscreen including rain sensor, mirror attachment/electronics as well as any leaks and overall workmanship. It should be as per how you presented it to them in the first place barring the crack of course. Thats what you're paying for!
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

mcbutler

replacement windscreen

Post by mcbutler » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:36 pm

Does the sensor require calibration/coding I wonder??
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

replacement windscreen

Post by ronk » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:42 pm

mcbutler wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:36 pm Does the sensor require calibration/coding I wonder??
When the screen was replaced in the 335 it needed recalibration by the dealer.
(It has headlight assist / head up display/ road sign camera / rain sensor )
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

R.E92

replacement windscreen

Post by R.E92 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:42 pm

Yes. A reset is needed for the new screen.

There's a procedure for it in ISTA.

If you don't have ISTA or a friend with ISTA, then you might have to pay the dealer.

Here's the procedure;
The rain/light sensor has integrated sensors that sense the wetness on the windscreen glass and the ambient brightness.

Rain sensor
The rain sensor is an optical system. It consists of an optical element bonded on the windscreen and an electronic component. Alongside the evaluation electronics, 4 optical transmitter and receiver diodes are integrated in the electronic component.

Function
Pressing the button on the wash/wipe switch activates the rain sensor. When the rain sensor is active, the green LED on the wash/wipe switch lights up.

When the rain sensor is activated, visual acknowledgement is given to the driver in that one wiping cycle is executed first. Then, the transmitter diodes emit an infrared light which is guided across the optical element to the windscreen. If the windscreen is completely dry and clean, the infrared light is fully reflected to the receiver diodes.

If there is water or dirt in the area of the optical element on the windscreen, full reflection of the infrared light is no longer possible. Part of the light penetrates the windscreen so that only part of the light arrives at the receiver diodes. The evaluation electronics identify the level of windscreen wetting from the reduction in light quantity and transmits a signal via the K-CAN data bus. The wiper module then runs a wipe cycle. In the case of heavy rain, intermittent operation shifts into the continuous wiping mode.

A heating element integrated in the rain sensor prevents misting of the optical element or the diodes.

The sensitivity of the rain sensor can be varied in 4 sensitivity stages by means of the knurled wheel on the wash/wipe switch. Each time the knurled wheel is moved in the ”Increase sensitivity” direction (upwards), a wipe cycle is carried out.

When the vehicle is at a standstill, there is an automatic reduction of the sensitivity so that the wiper usually runs in intermittent mode.

If the rain sensor fails, the wiper runs at a fixed time interval.

For safety reasons, the rain sensor is switched off when terminal R is switched off.

Prerequisites for trouble-free operation of the rain sensor are:

- Wiper blades OK

- Sensor area free of soiling (road salt, insects)

- No streaking on the windscreen

- Windscreen in the area of the rain sensor without faults (stone chipping)

- Optical element bonded free of bubbles with the windscreen glass

Initialisation
Due to the optical process, the rain sensor has to be adapted to the windscreen. This adaptation takes place at initialisation.

Note: Only the rain segment can be initialised! In the event of complaints regarding the automatic driving lights control, initialising the rain/light sensor is ineffective!

A prerequisite for trouble-free initialisation is that the windscreen glass is dry, clean and free of defects in the area of the rain sensor.

The initialisation is performed using the ”Initialise rain sensor” service function in the BMW diagnosis system. In the service function, the adaptation values in the rain sensor are deleted. This is followed by adjustment of the sensor system to the windscreen based on the following sequence:

- Switching off the rain sensor

- Switch off terminal 15 and terminal R

- Switch on terminal R and terminal 15 and wait 10 seconds

In the 10-second waiting period, the new adaptation values are determined and stored.

Initialisation of the rain sensor is necessary:

- After replacing the windscreen

- After replacement of the rain/light sensor

Driving light sensor
The driving light sensor consists of two photosensors and evaluation electronics. The photosensors are arranged in such a way that both light striking the sensor from the front and light striking the sensor from above (ambient light) are sensed.

The prerequisites for trouble-free operation of the driving light sensor are those of the rain sensor.

If there is a change in the lighting conditions, a signal is issued via the data bus K-CAN. When the automatic driving lights control is active, the light module switches the driving light on or off.

The light sensing is active as of terminal R, independent of whether the automatic driving lights control system is switched on or off.

After replacement, the driving light sensor must be encoded via the vehicle order to adapt it to the windscreen.

Encoding the rain/light sensor

Encoding of the rain/light sensor is required:

- After replacement of a rain/light sensor

The automatic driving lights control provides an encoding possibility to change the sensitivity settings (Japanese version: changed sensitivity settings).

Restrictions due to factors inherent in the system

Rain sensor:

Soiling of the sensor surface can lead to unwanted activation, up to and including continuous wiping. If the soiling continues over a longer period, the system reacts with a reduction in sensitivity.

Soiling can be caused by road salt residue, insects or water streaks. The windscreen should therefore be cleaned from time to time using the wipe‐wash function.

As the window wiper cleans the sensor surface, the wiper must not be worn. A worn wiper would diminish the measured values of the sensor by streaking as the values are no longer able to change.

Formation of bubbles/blisters on the bonding surface of the optical element also leads to impairment.

Light sensor:

Due to the high ambient brightness, fog cannot be detected by the light sensor.

The light sensor is sensitive to light in the infrared range. The infrared proportion is high if there is dense cloud cover. With lighter cloud cover or blue sky - above all in winter ‐ the sensor receives considerably fewer infrared light proportions. This means the light sensor switches the light on earlier or leaves it on for longer.

In well illuminated tunnel entrances, startup can be delayed. The high level of illumination means that the measured values are above the switch-on threshold.

Formation of bubbles/blisters on the bonding surface of the optical element also leads to impairment.

We can assume no liability for printing errors or inaccuracies in this document and reserve the right to introduce technical modifications at any time.

obewan

replacement windscreen

Post by obewan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:28 pm

Wow!
all that technology to save me clicking a switch or pushing a lever every now and then - impressed :thumbsup:
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

huytonman

replacement windscreen

Post by huytonman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:18 pm

I assume that the screen was replaced under your insurance cover, insist that you have the work rectified AND the car put back to roadworthy condition, it may well be that the lack of auto sensing (because its fitted) could throw up an MOT fail but thats not the point. I had two crap experiences with this lot, one with a Boxster when the screen sounded like a wailing banshee after being fitted and when I called to complain was told "you need to give it a week to settle in"...well it didnt and the guy who came to sort it harangued about his colleague who fitted the first one badly, with hardly an glue, chipped my paint etc etc. The second was a Discovery, new screen fitted then going on holiday the next day on the M4 at speed the A pillar plastic covers both flew off into following traffic..noisy without them and obviously dangerous for those following. The guy who came to rectify it told me it was because the previous guy had reused the old covers and they are meant to fit new ones but try to avoid it due to the cost...Just poor training, management etc etc.. :x

mel_2013

replacement windscreen

Post by mel_2013 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:50 am

thank you for all your replies , I went out and looked at the car and found some adhesive on the windscreen covering part of the sensor ! a few wipes of nail varnish remover and all is back to normal ! my z4 is not having the best of time at the min , im hoping the bad luck comes in threes and this is the last time it will be in the garage for a while !!!