Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rattling noise when roof down

lukejadi

Post by lukejadi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi. I hear rattling noise coming from behind my left ear (left-hand drive car) when the roof is down. It appears on every bump or crack in the road. I went to the dealer and they claimed they sorted it out. They supposedly had to adjust the roof because one part of the roof was touching the other in the trunk.

I didn't verify it for 3 weeks because it was bloody cold but yesterday I took the roof down and the problem is still there! :/

I even made a video for the dealer:

Does anyone can help me locate this noise? Maybe it's a common problem? Thanks!

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:15 pm

Did the dealer road test the car - or did they look for components which might have be in contact when the roof was down and make a 'repair' based on that.

Quite a clatter from the boot area but is this a symptom of something else - does it rattle because the suspension is soft/damaged/broke? Put the roof up then drive it with say a couple of tin trays on each other in the boot - if they get bounced about and clatter then my next move would be to look under the car. Could be a suspension fault magnified by surfaces that can knock together.

lukejadi

Post by lukejadi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:00 pm

I've been testing it today and found some clues. The rattle sound is not present when:
  • trunk lid is open - fully or just not close properly
  • or I stop the "roof down" process at the very end leaving tiny gap between trunk lid
  • or I put a cloth in the place shown on the picture and close the trunk lid - works randomly

Think I'm getting closer to finding the cause...

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Might sound daft but try lowering first the rear window only then both. If it disappears when you lower the rear one its the seal between the front/rear window. Definitely sounds like either a rubber or plastic based noise, not really a metallic rattle. You might try popping the door to half unlock as well, see if that does it.
Keep us all updated, always good to know the fixes, when found.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:56 pm

mcbutler wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:06 pm Might sound daft but try lowering first the rear window only then both. If it disappears when you lower the rear one its the seal between the front/rear window. Definitely sounds like either a rubber or plastic based noise, not really a metallic rattle. You might try popping the door to half unlock as well, see if that does it.
Good suggestions but I can’t see the cloth in the boot stopping the noise if that was the case :?
Rattles can be very frustrating and difficult to pin down especially with a complex folding roof like the e89!
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:58 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:56 pm
mcbutler wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:06 pm Might sound daft but try lowering first the rear window only then both. If it disappears when you lower the rear one its the seal between the front/rear window. Definitely sounds like either a rubber or plastic based noise, not really a metallic rattle. You might try popping the door to half unlock as well, see if that does it.
Good suggestions but I can’t see the cloth in the boot stopping the noise if that was the case :?
Rattles can be very frustrating and difficult to pin down especially with a complex folding roof like the e89!
Rob
Spot on Rob, but they can also be very simple. Took me about a week to realise the annoying 'dash rattle' on my Zeee was the sliding covers over the sun visor mirrors.....
I have often found windows to be the source of annoying creaks.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:45 pm

mcbutler wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:58 pm
Rob
Spot on Rob, but they can also be very simple. Took me about a week to realise the annoying 'dash rattle' on my Zeee was the sliding covers over the sun visor mirrors.....
https://youtu.be/JF-KJ5-KNQk :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:12 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:45 pm
mcbutler wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:58 pm

Rob
https://youtu.be/JF-KJ5-KNQk :P
Rob
HAH, I remember chuckling at that when it was first out.....
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather