Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Should I drive it or not!

biggles

Post by biggles » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:49 pm

Hi
I just got Carly and ran the diagnostics to check for an intermittent issue which maybe the mass airflow sensor but nothing other than this one was shown *** 2F71:E-box Luefter, control *** after a quick google it seems to be the cooling fan for the ECU box, I’ve checked if it was a fuse but couldn’t tell which one it is supposed to be so I checked them all! :roll: but all ok, does anyone know if it might have a line fuse?
this is the report from Carly as well
*** 2F71:E-box Luefter, control ***
Fault-Set 1 - ( 75728 km)

Engine speed: 1088.00 rpm
intake: 12.00 deg C
speed: 0.00 km/h
Steuergeraet internal temperature: 11.25 deg C

Fault-Set 2 - ( 75736 km)

Engine speed: 1088.00 rpm
intake: 15.00 deg C
speed: 0.00 km/h
Steuergeraet internal temperature: 15.75 deg C

Fault-Set 3 - ( 80336 km)

Engine speed: 768.00 rpm
intake: 49.50 deg C
speed: 1.00 km/h
Steuergeraet internal temperature: 60.75 deg C

The first two are old looking at the distances but the third one is current and the temps look rather high, this was after a drive of about 45’ and the car had been idling for 5’ when I checked it, it’s obviously been broken for a while now. My dilemma is now I know, should I drive it before it’s fixed, I was going to my mums on Sunday, round trip of 350 miles! (Mother’s Day would have the benefit of a roast dinner :D)

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a quick fix, read into that cheap as well :roll:
Now 2009 E89 3.0 Auto, Sapphire Black, Red Leather
Gone 2003 E85 2.5 Auto, Sapphire Black, Black Leather

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:28 pm

Id get it to someone with a proper code reader mate and get a full diagnostics on it.

I cant be much help with what you have found out so far, but if the dash isn't lit up with an error I would continue to use until you can get it looked at.
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

biggles

Post by biggles » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:08 pm

Well I chose not to do the long journey on Sunday just in case and had the car in today with BM, they confirmed the fault and after testing say the fan itself tests / seems ok and that it’s the DME module not sending a signal to the fan based on the checks they have done, what they want to do is change the fan first just in case it does clear the fault! and if not it’ll need a new DME module! :(
If the latter is the case I’m sure it will not be cheap but I do have a BM warranty :D

biggles

Post by biggles » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:21 am

Well it is now fixed and it was the fan that was the problem not the DME, but when I picked up the car from BM the windscreen was cracked! :-x
However I can not really hold BM responsible as it was an old stone chip I got fixed about a year ago that gave up! Just a pain that I now need to get it changed, but on the plus side the chip annoyed my OCD side somewhat :lol:
I’m just not sure who to get it done with as I’ve read some not so nice reviews of after market fittings and non BM screens, I can get it done at BM through the insurance but it’ll cost £200 to do so verses nothing with the autoglass, I might see if autoglass can get an OEM screen to fit.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:15 am

Good to read your Service up and running again. :)

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:46 pm

Regarding your windscreen, you'll have to be insistent that you want a BMW OEM screen.

They will tell you the screens are exactly the same, the only difference being they don't have BMW printed on them. They make you feel silly, as if you are quibbling over a printed logo, and practically say it is made in the same factory.

I cant comment on the actual quality of the screens they fit, and assume they have to meet stringent safety tests etc, and I can't comment on whether they are made in the same factory or not, but I can say they are NOT exactly the same screen with the omission of the BMW logo.

Had the screen in my X1 replaced last year by Autoglass. I had installed my dashcam on a bit of black vinyl near the rear view mirror, cos it was really stealthy, but in doing so I noticed the black edging to the screen, with the black dots was completely level with the glass, meaning the vinyl would stick with no dimples etc.

On the replacement screen, these black dots were raised, meaning the vinyl didn't stick perfectly.

The vinyl bit is irrelevant, but my point is that they are NOT exactly the same. Might be 99% identical, but not 100%. When I rang to complain, again, they made me sound finicky (which I guess I was, but my point was still that the screen wasn't exactly the same).

So if you want OEM, be sure that you insist on that, and check the glass before they fit it. Might be different nowadays or with a different company.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

biggles

Post by biggles » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:07 pm

Yes I have to agree with you and if I go with autoglass it will have to be an OEM screen or not at all and if they try to charge me more for doing that I may as well pay the extra £200 and get BM to fit it. If AG fit it I’ll be watching like a hawk as well :roll:

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:51 pm

I think they will do it, but as we say, you have to be persistent.

I read of one guy rejecting 4 or 5 screens before they finally got it right.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:31 pm

Auto Windscreens fitted a Bmw screen in our 335 as it has a high beam assist - there is a requirement for the dealer to do an align check - Bmw will not do any work on a non Bmw screen!
Last edited by ronk on Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

biggles

Post by biggles » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:51 am

I don’t have high beam assist but do have Sat Nav, auto windscreen wipers and lights, I’ve not had chance to call them about it yet but I will insist on fitting an OEM screen if I use autoglass as I don’t want to fork out the extra £200 to the insurance to take it to BM if I can help it :roll:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:54 am

The depot manager showed me the aftermarket screens - they appeared to be identical - all thw serial nimbers / ce Mark / manufacturing marks etc. Were identical - only the car manufacturers logo was missing.

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:28 pm

ronk wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:54 am The depot manager showed me the aftermarket screens - they appeared to be identical - all thw serial nimbers / ce Mark / manufacturing marks etc. Were identical - only the car manufacturers logo was missing.
Thats exactly what they told me, but in my case that wasn't the only difference.

My car has auto lights and wipers and there were no problems with that.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:39 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:28 pm
ronk wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:54 am The depot manager showed me the aftermarket screens - they appeared to be identical - all thw serial nimbers / ce Mark / manufacturing marks etc. Were identical - only the car manufacturers logo was missing.
Thats exactly what they told me, but in my case that wasn't the only difference.

My car has auto lights and wipers and there were no problems with that.
My screen was fitted on my driveway and it was good to watch the fella work - he told me he had won ‘screen fitting competitions. I could see why!
I was most worried about scratches during removal and then being covered with sealant jollop - I needn’t have been.