Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

NEW noise of the day...

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

NEW noise of the day...

Post by Maniac » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:47 pm

Any thoughts on this? N54 35i engine. Noise from driver wheel area at loudest and barely notable in the engine bay.

Brasseye

NEW noise of the day...

Post by Brasseye » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Sounds like low pressure fuel pump to me.

Have you got those light weight wheels for sale yet old chap ?
Last edited by Brasseye on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

NEW noise of the day...

Post by firebobby » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:56 pm

Sound s fine for a diesel :rofl:
I can't hear anything apart from a slight whine.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

NEW noise of the day...

Post by Maniac » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:26 pm

Brasseye wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:04 pm Sounds like low pressure fuel pump to me.

Have you got those light weight wheels for sale yet old chap ?
Isn’t the LPFP in the back? This is loudest in the drivers wheel arch when listening externally. It’s quite loud on a cold start like this.

bob4333

NEW noise of the day...

Post by bob4333 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 am

Maniac, just to make sure we're focusing on the same thing, are we talking about the "whining" sound that varies with engine rpm....?

I know you say "....and barely notable in the engine bay" so is everything in that area completely ruled out?

Alternator bearings, air con compressor, oil pump and anything else driven by the engine itself? Heating / cooling fan receiving a fluctuating voltage? Any change with it all switched off?

I found a cheap stethoscope from Machine Mart surprisingly effective in looking for this kind of issue.

Likewise a written checklist of everything that spins when your foot goes on the accelerator pedal, then mark them off one by one when checked. Maybe a bit of a stretch but free software like "Audacity" can be useful to slow a recorded sound down and see if it's continuous or pulsing. It doesn't sound like an injector though.

Is the sound always present or just under certain conditions like the cold start you mention? Present on hard acceleration? Present on over run? Steady coasting at different speeds? Anything creating a sound bridge from A to B like the steering column? Does the sound change with your hands on the wheel or off?

I'm trying to think of thought starters and apply a bit of logic really. Maybe a list of "what it's not" and a list a list of "what it could be" is sometimes useful.

Perhaps you've done all this stuff but there's a cause there somewhere. Unaccounted for noises and squeaks drive me to distraction.

Just trying to help.