Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof very jerky

spannerman

Roof very jerky

Post by spannerman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:01 pm

Evening all, I require assistance

I have not opened or closed my electric roof for about one month or so. its a 2010 3.0 M sport model

Today I went to open the roof and it was very jerky. It did eventually open but was jerking all the way through its operation. The only part that did not jerk was the boot itself which operated lovely and smoothly. I then closed the roof and all seems smooth on closing operation.

But again when opening it was really slow and jerky....

I plugged in the Snap on Solus scanner and found code A6A3-hydraulic temp sensor incorrect

Can anybody shed any light on this problem?

Thanks in advance

Keith

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Roof very jerky

Post by Smartbear » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:19 pm

spannerman wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:01 pm Evening all, I require assistance

I have not opened or closed my electric roof for about one month or so.

Today I went to open the roof and it was very jerky. It did eventually open but was jerking all the way through its operation. The only part that did not jerk was the boot itself which operated lovely and smoothly. I then closed the roof and all seems smooth on closing operation.

But again when opening it was really slow and jerky....

I plugged in the Snap on Solus scanner and found code A6A3-hydraulic temp sensor incorrect

Can anybody shed any light on this problem?

Thanks in advance

Keith
Hi, I’ve read that continuously operating the roof can bring this warning up (it can also stop the roof from working)
How many times did you raise/lower the roof?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

spannerman

Roof very jerky

Post by spannerman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Only operated the roof three times. First I just thought a hinge or something needed lubricating. I sprayed all visible hinges but it has made no difference. Are these roofs only supposed to be operated in warmer temperatures? I was wondering if it had something to do with our really low temps at the moment.

mcbutler

Roof very jerky

Post by mcbutler » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:39 pm

What was the ambient temperature, hydraulic oil does not generally have a temperature variable viscosity. If the oil was very cold its thickness may be the problem. Try raising it 5 or 6 times and see if it improves.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

mcbutler

Roof very jerky

Post by mcbutler » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:39 pm

mcbutler wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:39 pm What was the ambient temperature, hydraulic oil does not generally have a temperature variable viscosity. If the oil was very cold its thickness may be the problem. Try raising it 5 or 6 times and see if it improves.
Lubricating hinges yearly is always a good idea.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

spannerman

Roof very jerky

Post by spannerman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:40 pm

It is very cold and I think the ambient temp was around 2 degrees celcius

spannerman

Roof very jerky

Post by spannerman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:07 pm

Ok, the motor is in the boot under the luggage cover. I lifted up the cover and low and behold the motor and foam padding that the motor sits in was about four inches deep in water. Drained all the water off and ordered new foam padding from BMW (£25). The motor unit must have been really really cold sitting in that water in these minus temperatures. Dried everything out thoroughly, then drained off the hydraulic motor fluid and replenished with simple Hydraulic jack oil. Operated the roof up and down a few times and all is well....Drilled a tiny whole under boot floor at its lowest point to help prevent this happening again. Think I got away with it....PHEW

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Roof very jerky

Post by Maniac » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:18 pm

Is the jack fluid up to scratch for this? I’d expect it to have very specific properties.

Glad you Sussd it however. The water must be getting in somewhere, I’d spend time looking at that to avoid future leaks on the motor, battery or the multitude of electronics on the other side of the under floor.

Zoomer

Roof very jerky

Post by Zoomer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:40 pm

I think Mike aka Ducklake view uses jack oil ( I am sure I read it in a post but stand to be corrected) , but admittedly it’s on the E85 not the E89. I think it’s very close to the roof oil viscosity
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

spannerman

Roof very jerky

Post by spannerman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:12 pm

The jack oil is almost the same in every way as the original roof fluid. Works a treat