Intermittent Starter Motor Noise

Post Reply
User avatar
RustyZ4
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2669
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Maidstone, Kent

Intermittent Starter Motor Noise

Post by RustyZ4 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:28 pm

Once in a while when I start the car, I get what can only be described as a "graunching" noise, it doesn't do it often, probably 3 times in 4 months, but I just wondered what it could be, the car is under BMW warranty and wondered if I should get them to check it out, or if this is a common problem with no issues,
Thanks in advance for any advice
Z4 Mineral Grey, 2.8 MSport
Fender Strat x 3, Flying V, SG Twin Neck,Les Paul, Blackstar HT60

mcbutler
Member
Member
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Intermittent Starter Motor Noise

Post by mcbutler » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:16 pm

Well, its certainly not 'normal'. you may have a tooth or two missing from the flywheel!!

Online
User avatar
ph001
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1358
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:53 pm
Location: N. Yorkshire.

Intermittent Starter Motor Noise

Post by ph001 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:00 pm

Does it only make the noise when the car actually starts and you let go of the key or does it do it whilst turning over on the starter before it's fired?
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual.

User avatar
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6844
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 pm
Location: Chelmsford

Intermittent Starter Motor Noise

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:45 pm

RustyZ4 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:28 pm
Once in a while when I start the car, I get what can only be described as a "graunching" noise, it doesn't do it often, probably 3 times in 4 months, but I just wondered what it could be, the car is under BMW warranty and wondered if I should get them to check it out, or if this is a common problem with no issues,
Thanks in advance for any advice
My 3.0si did this, it seems the starter can get coated in clutch dust which gums it up enough to graunch a bit (usually in cold weather)
Removal & cleaning is supposed to sort it out :thumbsup:
Rob
Image

e89 Sdrive2.0 18i, which has turned into a 20i :D
e89 Sdrive3.0i this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si, i sold my trouble free car...

Online
User avatar
ph001
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1358
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:53 pm
Location: N. Yorkshire.

Intermittent Starter Motor Noise

Post by ph001 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:29 pm

2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual.

User avatar
RustyZ4
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2669
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Maidstone, Kent

Intermittent Starter Motor Noise

Post by RustyZ4 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:00 pm

ph001 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:00 pm
Does it only make the noise when the car actually starts and you let go of the key or does it do it whilst turning over on the starter before it's fired?
It only does it from a cold start, and yes whilst turning over
Z4 Mineral Grey, 2.8 MSport
Fender Strat x 3, Flying V, SG Twin Neck,Les Paul, Blackstar HT60

User avatar
RustyZ4
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2669
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Maidstone, Kent

Intermittent Starter Motor Noise

Post by RustyZ4 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:01 pm

ph001 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:29 pm
Yep.. see here https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... r#p1481386
Thanks for that, I think as its under warranty I will get BMW to check it over for me :thumbsup:
Z4 Mineral Grey, 2.8 MSport
Fender Strat x 3, Flying V, SG Twin Neck,Les Paul, Blackstar HT60

User avatar
RustyZ4
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2669
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Maidstone, Kent

Intermittent Starter Motor Noise

Post by RustyZ4 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:36 am

ph001 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:00 pm
Does it only make the noise when the car actually starts and you let go of the key or does it do it whilst turning over on the starter before it's fired?

It did it again last night, I actually noticed the noise it right at the end of start up, might be coincidence, but it always when its really cold out
Z4 Mineral Grey, 2.8 MSport
Fender Strat x 3, Flying V, SG Twin Neck,Les Paul, Blackstar HT60

mcbutler
Member
Member
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Intermittent Starter Motor Noise

Post by mcbutler » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:03 pm

At the end of start up the engine speed exceeds starter motor speed and the gear that engages the flywheel when you press start is thrown out of mesh. It lands against a spring on the shaft of the starter motor. May be a broken spring rattling??

User avatar
RustyZ4
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2669
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Maidstone, Kent

Intermittent Starter Motor Noise

Post by RustyZ4 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:34 pm

mcbutler wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:03 pm
At the end of start up the engine speed exceeds starter motor speed and the gear that engages the flywheel when you press start is thrown out of mesh. It lands against a spring on the shaft of the starter motor. May be a broken spring rattling??
thanks mcbutler, going into the stealers tomorrow, ill se what they come up with
Z4 Mineral Grey, 2.8 MSport
Fender Strat x 3, Flying V, SG Twin Neck,Les Paul, Blackstar HT60

Post Reply