Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Faint whistle

Z4Z

Faint whistle

Post by Z4Z » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:59 pm

I have searched this forum and others and cannot seem to find the answer to my issue. I don't believe it to be the fuel pump as would not say this was a whine and is from the rear passenger side so am ruling out an air intake split hose or anything engine related from the front.
Only had the car a month and is perfect other than this very faint whistle which is spoiling my journeys.

The sound is high pitched, faint, but loud enough to pierce through road noise at low revs (I can always hear it now as have annoyingly adjusted to listen for it..). Cant hear it with roof off as road noise etc drowns it out. The whistle never changes pitch, never speeds up or down or gets louder. Is only audible once the car is moving but too faint to record into phone to playback.

It sounds almost metallic. At first I thought the brakes may be binding but doesn't change pitch or volume when brakes engaged or not.

What else could it be from back there? Everyone who states fuel pump issues has mentioned a whine and a change in tone when tank is full or half full. The whistle never changes tone but is constant once wheels are moving..
Mineral Grey, 2.0, M Sport.