Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bonnet Open warning

LeePreston

Bonnet Open warning

Post by LeePreston » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:40 pm

Over the weekend I was clearing the garage and decided that I’d charge the Z4s battery whilst I was there. I opened the bonnet and connected the charger, and left it like that for several hours. Late last night I disconnected the charger and shut the bonnet.

This morning I’ve got a warning light and tone warning me that the bonnet is not closed properly. Having checked and opened/closed it a couple of times, it really is. However, every time I start to drive it starts warning me again.

It doesn’t sound/show when stationary, but I’m guessing that it’s probably designed to start when the car is moving.

The car alarm has not triggered, so no problem with the alarm.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Bonnet Open warning

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:01 pm

LeePreston wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:40 pm Over the weekend I was clearing the garage and decided that I’d charge the Z4s battery whilst I was there. I opened the bonnet and connected the charger, and left it like that for several hours. Late last night I disconnected the charger and shut the bonnet.

This morning I’ve got a warning light and tone warning me that the bonnet is not closed properly. Having checked and opened/closed it a couple of times, it really is. However, every time I start to drive it starts warning me again.

It doesn’t sound/show when stationary, but I’m guessing that it’s probably designed to start when the car is moving.

The car alarm has not triggered, so no problem with the alarm.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated
Have you tried pushing down above each headlight & not just the middle of the bonnet? They can appear closed when they’re slightly open :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Bonnet Open warning

Post by mcbeee » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:03 pm

its possible the switch may have a little oxidation on the contacts, while sitting it has just enough contact to complete the circuit and when vibrating down the road it loses the solid contact and becomes intermittent. Try some spray contact cleaner if you can get to the contacts.... that's my best guess.
I had an issue on my Land Rover, the hood switch would fail at strange times after the alarm was set. It never came on while driving, it usually happened half an hour after locking the vehicle. I had it replaced in Arizona, the local dealership were idiots in Calgary, but that's another story :)
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

LeePreston

Bonnet Open warning

Post by LeePreston » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:15 pm

You guys continue to amaze me.

Sorted. I’d tried pushing the bonnet down wider than just the centre and it hadn’t made any difference. However, just tried again, this time pushing down over each headlight independently, and it’s worked.

I’m guessing that maybe the locking mechanism needs a little lubricating, but, for now, it’s fixed.

Thanks again.

ProfCJJ

Bonnet Open warning

Post by ProfCJJ » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:51 am

I’m getting this issue intermittently - is anyone aware of where the bonnet switch is at on the E89 so I can give it a bit of a clean out please?

Thanks
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

Zed Baron

Bonnet Open warning

Post by Zed Baron » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:07 am

LeePreston wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:15 pm You guys continue to amaze me.

Sorted. I’d tried pushing the bonnet down wider than just the centre and it hadn’t made any difference. However, just tried again, this time pushing down over each headlight independently, and it’s worked.

I’m guessing that maybe the locking mechanism needs a little lubricating, but, for now, it’s fixed.

Thanks again.
If you listen you can here a motor whirring as it latches.... if I don't hear that then I'll know Ill get bonnet open alarm 2 minutes down the road.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Bonnet Open warning

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:10 am

Zed Baron wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:07 am
LeePreston wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:15 pm You guys continue to amaze me.

Thanks again.
If you listen you can here a motor whirring as it latches.... if I don't hear that then I'll know Ill get bonnet open alarm 2 minutes down the road.
I don’t know what you’re hearing as the bonnet latches aren't motorised like the soft close ones fitted to the boot?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Bonnet Open warning

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:11 am

I have cleaned and lightly oiled the latches but still on occasion it doesn't lock down quite right.I think its just due to the width of the bonnet, allowing it to flex slightly as it goes down. Like Rob says, a simple push and you should hear/feel it click into place. Definitely never heard any motors though. :tumbleweed:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Zed Baron

Bonnet Open warning

Post by Zed Baron » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:00 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:11 am I have cleaned and lightly oiled the latches but still on occasion it doesn't lock down quite right.I think its just due to the width of the bonnet, allowing it to flex slightly as it goes down. Like Rob says, a simple push and you should hear/feel it click into place. Definitely never heard any motors though. :tumbleweed:
When I get a chance Ill go out to the garage and record what happens :thumbsup:

Danglesberries

Bonnet Open warning

Post by Danglesberries » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:05 pm

Run a scan and see if any error codes come up

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Bonnet Open warning

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:27 am

Danglesberries wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:05 pm Run a scan and see if any error codes come up
Err, he fixed it, by following Rob's suggestion and making sure it was closed properly. Says so a few replies above yours.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

N4LLY

Bonnet Open warning

Post by N4LLY » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:26 pm

I had this when i first got the car, did not realise there were two latches :wink:

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange