Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Radio Loses DAB Signal

TheBows

Radio Loses DAB Signal

Post by TheBows » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:33 am

Hello,

My radio regularly lose its DAB signal. Personally I think the signal is just fine because I can be in the same place on different days, and sometimes I have a signal and sometimes I don't.

Anyone with an opinion? I also think that when on FM radio it fails to re-tune to the strongest signal.

Thanks

Stephen

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Radio Loses DAB Signal

Post by Maniac » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:36 am

This happens to me also. Buildings and other traffic cause this, signal strength, interference etc

I get your comment about same place different strengths, this isn’t the cars fault and could be caused by many factors including the weather.

The dab setup in the e89 is old and newer tech is better. I don’t get this issue on dab in my new c class for example.

EssexZed

Radio Loses DAB Signal

Post by EssexZed » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:08 am

I think what you are experiencing is typical for most DAB users. It's proven to be a major disappointment for many who have invested in DAB equipment expecting it to be better than FM for sound quality. I have a DAB radio in my ZED and also another car and the signal drops in and out quite often for no apparent reason. I also have a DAB radio in my home and it will only work in some rooms and reception of some stations can be ok on some days and non existent on others.

The Government has been encouraging people to switch over to DAB, warning that the FM service will be switched off but the date targeted for the switch over has been pushed back several times and currently I believe no date is set, although speculators put it around 2020. I hope the technology and coverage has been significantly improved by then!
Last edited by EssexZed on Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

huytonman

Radio Loses DAB Signal

Post by huytonman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:47 pm

DAB is an unreliable transmission method for moving vehicles, when it works its fine but it often doesnt and can be impacted by many things such as weather, trees, passing vehicles, the transmitter location and power etc which would explain why you get it sometimes and not other times. I have my AM channel selection programmed into one of the buttons so that when the inevitable happens and I lose DAB I can switch to the alternative AM alternative if there is one e.g. Radio 5 live, talksport.
Keith

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Radio Loses DAB Signal

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:43 pm

I've never had a car with DAB, but I had a Mini with it fitted as a Courtesy Car and it must have lost the signal a dozen or so times in just a few miles!

That's when I decided I wasn't missing much. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Radio Loses DAB Signal

Post by ronk » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:30 pm

There supposed to be an automatic change to FM when DAB drops - but it doesn’t work on BBC2.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

wegras

Radio Loses DAB Signal

Post by wegras » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:59 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:43 pm I've never had a car with DAB, but I had a Mini with it fitted as a Courtesy Car and it must have lost the signal a dozen or so times in just a few miles!

That's when I decided I wasn't missing much. :lol:
Exactly :cry: :cry:
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family