Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery?

cmp999

Battery?

Post by cmp999 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi, Over the past few weeks, I have occasionally had the yellow car on ramp and a warning triangle, this has gone off after taking the car for a drive. I have had the car on a couple of reasonable drives over the past few weekends, the car stands for a few days and the warning returns. I read on the forum about how to access the code so I did this yesterday, the code is Cc id 415, when I did a search this said battery discharge.

My gut feeling is that the battery is on it's way out, it's a low mileage E89 but it is 6 years old. Out of interest I phoned the dealer/service department to ask how much a battery would cost, don't know was the reply but then continued to tell me that I need to book it in for them to diagnose it, at a basic cost of £99. I have the extended warranty but she did not know if it would be covered, she also seemed unimpressed when I suggested that I may just wait for the car to fail, that way someone will come out to recover it and diagnose the problem for free.

My question is, has anyone had the battery fault diagnosed under warranty and even had the battery replaced FOC, or are places like Halfords capable of testing the battery and replacing it with like for like. I have also been reading on here about the car needing re programming to the new battery, is this all E89's, is it necessary and again, is it something Halfords could do?

TIA, Cheers, Colin.

huytonman

Battery?

Post by huytonman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:57 pm

Six years is about right for the battery to fail and low miles could imply a lot of starting up for short drives which will impact the battery. I very much doubt that the warranty would cover it, I had mine done by Halfords, cost about £170 inc coding and from memory has a five year guarantee, work was done very quickly. They may offer to test it but I think I know what the answer will be...If it was me I would just get it swapped, no point in getting stranded because of it.
keith

cmp999

Battery?

Post by cmp999 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:07 pm

huytonman wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:57 pm Six years is about right for the battery to fail and low miles could imply a lot of starting up for short drives which will impact the battery. I very much doubt that the warranty would cover it, I had mine done by Halfords, cost about £170 inc coding and from memory has a five year guarantee, work was done very quickly. They may offer to test it but I think I know what the answer will be...If it was me I would just get it swapped, no point in getting stranded because of it.
keith
Thanks for that Keith, I have just been having a look on the internet, I have a Halfords Autocentre nearby and they offer a free battery check. What year is your car and do you have the extended warranty? I'm just thinking that if anything else fails BMW may use a non factory fitted item as a get out clause :roll:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Battery?

Post by mr wilks » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:08 pm

Mirrors the symptoms i recently had on my 89 , new battery sorted it . £137 delivered for OE Varta AGM with no need to "code" it to the car .http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VARTA-E39-Sil ... SwajVUOSEF
Easy 10 mins job to change :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Battery?

Post by jabber » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:22 pm

mr wilks wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:08 pm Mirrors the symptoms i recently had on my 89 , new battery sorted it . £137 delivered for OE Varta AGM with no need to "code" it to the car .http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VARTA-E39-Sil ... SwajVUOSEF
I was under the impression new batteries had to be coded
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Battery?

Post by mr wilks » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:29 pm

jabber wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:22 pm
mr wilks wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:08 pm Mirrors the symptoms i recently had on my 89 , new battery sorted it . £137 delivered for OE Varta AGM with no need to "code" it to the car .http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VARTA-E39-Sil ... SwajVUOSEF
I was under the impression new batteries had to be coded
Can't recall the actual thread but discussed very recently
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

cmp999

Battery?

Post by cmp999 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:31 pm

Thanks for the link mr wilks, I notice that it says for start/stop technology, something I don't have on my Z4.

huytonman

Battery?

Post by huytonman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:00 pm

cmp999 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:07 pm
huytonman wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:57 pm Six years is about right for the battery to fail and low miles could imply a lot of starting up for short drives which will impact the battery. I very much doubt that the warranty would cover it, I had mine done by Halfords, cost about £170 inc coding and from memory has a five year guarantee, work was done very quickly. They may offer to test it but I think I know what the answer will be...If it was me I would just get it swapped, no point in getting stranded because of it.
keith

Thanks for that Keith, I have just been having a look on the internet, I have a Halfords Autocentre nearby and they offer a free battery check. What year is your car and do you have the extended warranty? I'm just thinking that if anything else fails BMW may use a non factory fitted item as a get out clause :roll:
Mine was a 2010 car with ext warranty, the steering rack was replaced under warranty after getting the battery no issues, Bmw appears unlike Porsche who will invalidate their warranty if you add an air freshener or wear the wrong size shoes...

Busterboo

Battery?

Post by Busterboo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:08 pm

huytonman wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:00 pm ... Bmw appears unlike Porsche who will invalidate their warranty if you add an air freshener or wear the wrong size shoes...
So true. :rofl:
Vidi, vici, veni

mcbutler

Battery?

Post by mcbutler » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:11 pm

If you are in the AA wait for it to fail, they will supply, code and fit a new battery for around £115.. Straight off the back of the van.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

cmp999

Battery?

Post by cmp999 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:58 pm

mcbutler wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:11 pm If you are in the AA wait for it to fail, they will supply, code and fit a new battery for around £115.. Straight off the back of the van.
That is what I said to the dealership :) strangely enough, the car has been stood for a few days as I have been busy. I climbed into it and it started fine, no warnings and bongs.

Tobby05

Battery?

Post by Tobby05 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:12 am

mr wilks wrote:Mirrors the symptoms i recently had on my 89 , new battery sorted it . £137 delivered for OE Varta AGM with no need to "code" it to the car .http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VARTA-E39-Sil crédit ... SwajVUOSEF
Thank you very much for the link :)

warmasice

Battery?

Post by warmasice » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:37 pm

The battery definitely needs coding to prevent over charging.

strugglinauthor

Battery?

Post by strugglinauthor » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:01 pm

Had mine in the dealership yesterday with the same code - CC-id 415. I've been getting this warning for some time but as others have experienced, it comes and goes. My car is also six years old (approaching seven) and so I assumed the battery was on the way out. Funnily enough the dealer did not recommend replacement, which I was absolutely sure they would. I was told my battery is only 30% charged and needs a full charge. If the warning persists after this - or turns red - then I will need to get the battery changed.

I found this surprising as I've recently done a couple of long motorway trips and so I would have assumed the battery would be fully charged. As it wasn't then this suggests a battery not holding its charge and so in need of replacement.

I may get it changed at some point anyway. I just know it will decide to give up the ghost on a cold, wet night...

keith777

Battery?

Post by keith777 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:06 pm

Forgive my ignorance but how do you code it ?
Cheers Keith.