Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof issue

Lindo

Roof issue

Post by Lindo » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi apologies if this has been covered before, I have noticed recently that when I close my roof there's like a crunching noise that comes from where the roof joins the windscreen, just wondering if anyone has had this problem before and can help me shed some light on it, it's a 2012 car, thanks in advance for any help

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Roof issue

Post by Number5 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:04 pm

Hi,
Send a PM to DietCokeMan.
He may well be able to help you, as Brian's the expert on E89 roof issues.

mcbutler

Roof issue

Post by mcbutler » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:58 am

Try lubricating all relative rubber seals, the seals can 'creak' as they are pulled tight by the mechanism.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Busterboo

Roof issue

Post by Busterboo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:54 am

What with? :)
Vidi, vici, veni

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Roof issue

Post by Smartbear » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:29 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/261978299882
Always found this easy to use & it has a good rep :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Busterboo

Roof issue

Post by Busterboo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:27 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:29 pm https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/261978299882
Rob
Thank you, Rob. :thumbsup:
Vidi, vici, veni

Dietcokeman

Roof issue

Post by Dietcokeman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:35 am

Lindo wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:10 pm Hi apologies if this has been covered before, I have noticed recently that when I close my roof there's like a crunching noise that comes from where the roof joins the windscreen, just wondering if anyone has had this problem before and can help me shed some light on it, it's a 2012 car, thanks in advance for any help
Just a guess at this point, but if the roof is making a crunching noise when it latches onto the top of the screen, the fact that it does actually latch securely would indicate to me that either the locking mechanisuim is impeded somewhere or that the mechanism is loose on its mountings . It's a cam hook and bar system so as long as it's lines up roughly it will pull tight even it the mountings are loose, but this will cause a noise. It might also be worth poking around in the windscreen locating bars on the top edge of the screen where the hooks lock the roof down, is there something in the holes ? Stone or grit etc ?

Lindo

Roof issue

Post by Lindo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:45 am

Dietcokeman wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:35 am
Lindo wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:10 pm Hi apologies if this has been covered before, I have noticed recently that when I close my roof there's like a crunching noise that comes from where the roof joins the windscreen, just wondering if anyone has had this problem before and can help me shed some light on it, it's a 2012 car, thanks in advance for any help
Just a guess at this point, but if the roof is making a crunching noise when it latches onto the top of the screen, the fact that it does actually latch securely would indicate to me that either the locking mechanisuim is impeded somewhere or that the mechanism is loose on its mountings . It's a cam hook and bar system so as long as it's lines up roughly it will pull tight even it the mountings are loose, but this will cause a noise. It might also be worth poking around in the windscreen locating bars on the top edge of the screen where the hooks lock the roof down, is there something in the holes ? Stone or grit etc ?
Yeh I checked the windscreen holes mate, 1 has just a roller on the passenger side, the one on the drivers side has like a lever that pushes down, is that correct or should it have a lever both sides do you know

Dietcokeman

Roof issue

Post by Dietcokeman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:37 pm

Lindo wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:45 am
Dietcokeman wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:35 am
Yeh I checked the windscreen holes mate, 1 has just a roller on the passenger side, the one on the drivers side has like a lever that pushes down, is that correct or should it have a lever both sides do you know
No just the drivers side, this is a micro switch , it's what tells the hooks to lock down on the bars . Sounds like this is working fine . does the noise happen when you both open and close the roof ? Does the roof lining move when you get this noise ? I.e. Is the roof lining un clipped somewhere causing the noise ?

Lindo

Roof issue

Post by Lindo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:32 am

No roof lining seems fine, it only does it on closing but I noticed it doesn't do it all the time only maybe every second or third close

Busterboo

Roof issue

Post by Busterboo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:33 am

Smartbear wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:29 pm https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/261978299882
Rob
I should have read your post more carefully, Rob, especially the "easy to use" bit.

Although your Wurth stick costs more at £6.95 for 75ml, it's obviously safer than BMW's liquid version I've bought - at £8.05 for 250ml - which comes with a dire warning of not getting it on skin (or hair :o ).
Vidi, vici, veni

Dietcokeman

Roof issue

Post by Dietcokeman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:58 pm

Lindo wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:32 am No roof lining seems fine, it only does it on closing but I noticed it doesn't do it all the time only maybe every second or third close
Under the roof lining is the mechanisum that operates the locking hooks, if I were you I'd pop off the lining ( half a dozen clips as I remember ..) ....start in the corner and work your way around, be careful as the do break easily and make sure you get all the black fibre washers on each clip back in place or it will rattle ! And check the mechanisum isn't being fouled by something.....like the wiring or a loose cable tie or wiring clip .and while it is down lug all the swivel joints on the locking mechanism to illuminate them from potential noise .

Huzee666

Roof issue

Post by Huzee666 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:25 pm

Mine does the same, awful noise which sounds like metal on metal grinding together ! The car is only 12 months old and I'm taking it to the dealership under warranty, I'll update the post when I know more ! :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG_5925.jpg (355.54 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
2004 Z4 2.5se Maldives blue
2016 Z4 2.0 M Sport Estoril Blue
IMG_7951.jpg