Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Can't open boot, panic!

noo6py

Can't open boot, panic!

Post by noo6py » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:34 am

Hi all, morning of nightmares! BMW Z4, E89, 2010, RHD.

Charged the battery this morning after a period of flatness. The windows have the "auto drop by an inch" feature turned on.
I "stupidly" after forgetting which buttons were which pressed the hardtop drop button, which is now flashing red, although the hardtop appears fully closed. Passenger window stuck fully open and driver window stuck fully shut (cannot drop it the quarter inch to shut and lock car properly) and the boot won't open for me to pull down the grey protector so I can see if I can drop and lift the hardtop.

No boot release button in the car, that I can see and no ski hole. Car seems to be charging and will start, but I can't lock, secure, drive etc due to the issues above.

Drama. Thoughts please?

Zed Baron

Can't open boot, panic!

Post by Zed Baron » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:52 am

Hi longshot here, with the car started press the central locking button (next to the hazard lights, cant remember if its one or two presses) and see if that opens the boot

noo6py

Can't open boot, panic!

Post by noo6py » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:38 am

Hi Zed, tried that..no dice unfortunately! :(

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Can't open boot, panic!

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:40 am

Welcome to the forum.
Sorry it's with an issue though.
Stupid question time, have you tried selecting the roof closed again, using the button in the car?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Can't open boot, panic!

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:42 am

For all things E89 roof related, by far the best bet is to speak to Robbi_Z4, who is based in Germany but is an absolute guru for these roof issues.
Do a search for him through the 'Members' tab and have a look at some of his threads.
Once you have 3 posts you can send him a PM. (Note, this will stay in your Outbox until he's read it)

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

clarker63

Can't open boot, panic!

Post by clarker63 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:21 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:40 am Welcome to the forum.
Sorry it's with an issue though.
Stupid question time, have you tried selecting the roof closed again, using the button in the car?
yes I'd try this with the engine running to ensure you have enough juice... and you still may not have enough if your battery is duff.

Do you have a code reader? Where are you based... you need to know what codes are raised, and there are some options to open the boot with the right code reader e.g. Foxwell.

Chippie

Can't open boot, panic!

Post by Chippie » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:45 pm

If the engine starts try leaving it running for half an hour then try putting your windows up and down, if this works do it several times as with a flat battery it may have to re learn when they are fully open and closed, once they are working with the windows closed try pressing the roof close button and see if the light stops flashing red, then try opening the boot,
My wife unlocked the car recently and and held the fob too long which started the roof opening sequence but didn’t unlatch the roof, same situation boot wouldn’t unlock, once l had pressed the roof close button and then light went out the boot opened again
By the way welcome to the forum, please post a photo of your car when you get it sorted
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

noo6py

Can't open boot, panic!

Post by noo6py » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:33 pm

Thanks sincerely all for your replies, I ended up giving up and taking it to the dealer. Work was crazy busy and I was worried about the fact I couldn't secure it
The roof mechanism had stuck and that had locked all the windows and boot, so I couldn't see a way around it in the time I had to look. :(
As soon as sorted and home (and I'm a few k lighter, I suspect) I'll post a photo :)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Can't open boot, panic!

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:40 pm

noo6py wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:33 pm Thanks sincerely all for your replies, I ended up giving up and taking it to the dealer. Work was crazy busy and I was worried about the fact I couldn't secure it
The roof mechanism had stuck and that had locked all the windows and boot, so I couldn't see a way around it in the time I had to look. :(
As soon as sorted and home (and I'm a few k lighter, I suspect) I'll post a photo :)
Well I hope it gets sorted without a mortgage!
On the plus side, you're in now and there's no escape. :wink:
Look forward to seeing some photos of your chariot, roof down of course.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Can't open boot, panic!

Post by flybobbie » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:18 pm

Strange, if protector isn't down roof should not do anything but bong, to tell you roof protector is not in position.
I had a window problem, got them all stuck down, was loose connector or pin in connector on the right door window switch.
Taken apart, cleaned and no problem since.
Bad earth pin, because the illumination in switch was out.
Last edited by flybobbie on Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Can't open boot, panic!

Post by Pondrew » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:01 pm

flybobbie wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:18 pm Strange, if protector isn't down roof should not do anything but bong, to tell you roof protector is not in position.
I had a window problem, got them all stuck down, was lose connector or pin in connector on the right door window switch.
Taken apart, cleaned and no problem since.
Bad earth pin, because the illumination in switch was out.
I had the windows doing odd things when I had a microswitch issue. I put it down to the 'order' of how things should happen was all to cok. If a problem occurs out of sequence, the computer seems to have a 'brain f*ck' and doesn't know what day of the week it is. Until the sequence is restored, then it seems to get a grip.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

noo6py

Can't open boot, panic!

Post by noo6py » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:53 am

Hi all, sorry for the long time away.
I’ve had some drama with the garage, trying to force a new battery on me at just under £300 without testing via a charge first. The one on the car was only a couple of years old!! They fitted a new battery despite my saying not to.
That’s finally been resolved and they have charged my for 3 hours of inspection so far at £150.
Diagnosed micro switches and controller issue, coming in at around £800 (attached). I’ll be honest though, I’ve lost all trust in them, so thinking of taking to another dealer. Alternatively, could any garage sort these issues?
Thanks for thoughts, hopefully won’t be long before I’ll be posting that pic! 😉
Attachments
6501D99A-B804-4B1F-84EA-7FEBB1ABF1A3.png
6501D99A-B804-4B1F-84EA-7FEBB1ABF1A3.png (487.11 KiB) Viewed 702 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Can't open boot, panic!

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:58 am

That sounds like they'll just change everything and hope for the best!
Whereabouts are you? Easier to recommend someone if we know.
Also, search for Robbi_Z4 and PM him. He's in Germany but very clued up and helpful on these roof issues.
If he can't fix it, no-one can. :thumbsup:

noo6py

Can't open boot, panic!

Post by noo6py » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:09 am

Thanks enuff_zed. 👍
Yep, that’s my concern. They first stated that they replaced the battery as that “might have been it” then immediately went into another two hour round of inspection.
It’s not filled me with confidence from the start of I’m honest.
We’re located in South Wales, Newport, NP20.
Will drop a DM Robbi_Z4 a DM too, thanks again!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Can't open boot, panic!

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:16 am

noo6py wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:09 am Thanks enuff_zed. 👍
Yep, that’s my concern. They first stated that they replaced the battery as that “might have been it” then immediately went into another two hour round of inspection.
It’s not filled me with confidence from the start of I’m honest.
We’re located in South Wales, Newport, NP20.
Will drop a DM Robbi_Z4 a DM too, thanks again!
Hopefully Robbi can at least point you in the right direction.
I was going to recommend Ross at RBM, but Hook is a fair old trip for you.