Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Boot/trunk will not open on E89

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:36 pm

I once shut the boot with the battery disconnected, luckily I could open the bonnet and managed to run a jump lead to one of my other cars to the power points in the engine bay. From memory it allowed just enough juice to open the boot with the key fob or the central locking button on the dash

Xela

Post by Xela » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:07 pm

Hello all

So I have taken my Z4 to a local garage who have diagnostic equipment and they have been unable to command the boot lock to release.

The mechanic is sure that it is an issue with the roof and wants access to a BMW wiring diagram. Sadly, BMW themselves are unwilling to provide the information I require even though they know the solution.

So I am hoping someone on the Z4-Forum might be able to help. What we want to know are the colour of the two wires that go to the selenoid that will release the boot catch. My mechanic also wanted to know where the CTM is located (he hadn't yet googled it) and told me, if it helps prompt any other helpful response, that the T30 has zero voltage to it and the fault code is A699.

I would really appreciate any help to this somewhat intractable little problem.

Again, with many thanks

Xela

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:24 pm

Xela wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:07 pm Hello all

So I have taken my Z4 to a local garage who have diagnostic equipment and they have been unable to command the boot lock to release.

The mechanic is sure that it is an issue with the roof and wants access to a BMW wiring diagram. Sadly, BMW themselves are unwilling to provide the information I require even though they know the solution.

So I am hoping someone on the Z4-Forum might be able to help. What we want to know are the colour of the two wires that go to the selenoid that will release the boot catch. My mechanic also wanted to know where the CTM is located (he hadn't yet googled it) and told me, if it helps prompt any other helpful response, that the T30 has zero voltage to it and the fault code is A699.

I would really appreciate any help to this somewhat intractable little problem.

Again, with many thanks

Xela
Not being funny, but having studied this in great detail many times, if your garage is starting from that baseline I don't think there is much hope..the system is fiendishly complex, often the fault codes don't relate to the real faults and there are now many faults that could exist, including but not limited to several microswitches, some hall effect sensors, damaged wiring around the boot button and frayed / broken wires around the hinge mechanism..

Its also really really easy to make things worse by getting the alignment of crtical areas distorted.

So if he doesn't have the where withall to get a few wiring diagrams then..

I know its not helpful, and maybe I'd be proved wrong..

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:42 pm

Colleagues son had his car engine smashed up, when they replaced a un-needed cyl. head gasket. Car was gone for weeks.
I phoned local service dept. with symptoms, they said it was EGR valve, very common on that model Vauxhall.
Internet was full of forum problem/solutions and angry owners.
Makes you wonder who they employ in garages..

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:18 pm

Xela wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:07 pm [...]My mechanic also wanted to know where the CTM is located (he hadn't yet googled it) and told me, if it helps prompt any other helpful response, that the T30 has zero voltage to it and the fault code is A699.[...]
To be honest, your mechanic is not and will not be the right person to support you regarding the complex roof system on your E89. At least, more might be destroyed than before. The roof system secures itself against any unqualified violence!

What I'm missing is the initial story of the symptoms. What has happended in the past, what did you do and what has been done at the garage in between?

There are qualified garages well known here in the forum, give it a try regarding of your unknown location.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Xela

Post by Xela » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:09 am

Thanks for the advice one and all.

I live near Reading so if anyone one has any recommendations they would be most welcome.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:26 am

Xela wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:09 am Thanks for the advice one and all.

I live near Reading so if anyone one has any recommendations they would be most welcome.
Check the dealer feedback section for a good independent near you --- viewforum.php?f=4
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

acm

Post by acm » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:27 pm

Hi,
Xela wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:09 am I live near Reading so if anyone one has any recommendations they would be most welcome.
I've used Grosvenor indie in Reading - was recommended to me by colleagues who use them for BMW and Mini servicing or repairs and so far I've had a good service from them, they explain any work they are proposing and agree it with the customer before proceeding.

Another recommendation I've seen (especially for roof work) is RBM, also an indie, based in Hook, but I have no experience of them.

I'm sure there are others nearby; as mentioned look through the thread listed.

Cheers!
Andy

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:45 pm

acm wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:27 pm Hi,
Xela wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:09 am I live near Reading so if anyone one has any recommendations they would be most welcome.
I've used Grosvenor indie in Reading - was recommended to me by colleagues who use them for BMW and Mini servicing or repairs and so far I've had a good service from them, they explain any work they are proposing and agree it with the customer before proceeding.

Another recommendation I've seen (especially for roof work) is RBM, also an indie, based in Hook, but I have no experience of them.

I'm sure there are others nearby; as mentioned look through the thread listed.

Cheers!
Andy
RBM is Ross he is a member on here, maybe send him a PM
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Xela

Post by Xela » Mon May 17, 2021 4:28 pm

I ended up taking my car to RBM in Hook. Ross was able to pop the trunk straight away. He checked the wiring and there was no problem there.

Apparently I need a new soft close assembly at £475 incl VAT.

So I am currently looking at getting a recon unit........if anybody can advise.

I would say that I was very impressed with RBM........great value and trustworthy which is worth it's weight

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon May 17, 2021 4:36 pm

Xela wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:28 pm I ended up taking my car to RBM in Hook. Ross was able to pop the trunk straight away. He checked the wiring and there was no problem there.

Apparently I need a new soft close assembly at £475 incl VAT.

I would say that I was very impressed with RBM........great value and trustworthy which is worth it's weight
He seems to get consistently good write ups..glad he sorting it for you :thumbsup:

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Mon May 17, 2021 5:07 pm

Xela wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:28 pm Apparently I need a new soft close assembly at £475 incl VAT.
Couple of E89's being broken on Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353474583398 ... SwU5ZgLEnn
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353474590365 ... OSwFE1gTnD~

You could also try SYNETIQ, they are breaking 5 E89s: https://www.synetiq.co.uk/breaking-vehicles/#

It would be interesting to see if that part is unique to the E89 or if there are other BMWs that use the same part, might give you better options.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon May 17, 2021 6:49 pm

When you say check the wiring, was the unit stripped out back to the known problem area.
My experience of any mechanic or tech, be cars or aviation is to double check stuff.

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:41 pm

Xela wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:28 pm Apparently I need a new soft close assembly at £475 incl VAT.
Wow, what happened to the current one?
I hardly don't know any issue, that leads to a replacement of this unit! Except, you've tried to drill it to death. :o
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Xela

Post by Xela » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:46 pm

Thank you all for that.

I did briefly try the operation shown in youtube clip here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzug0TgOOW0

But the wires were intact.

I'm not understanding why the boot could be opened from the diagnostic but not from the fob/boot lid button?

Any ideas???

In the meantime I'm about to order a soft close mechanism from Sinetiq for £100