Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electronic Parking Brake Failure

BMW4LIFE2019

Post by BMW4LIFE2019 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to revive an old but I recently had the ill fate of the E89 electronic E-Brake failure and over the past few weeks I have been pulling my hair out without finding any resolution for this problem.

Well im happy to say that I managed to resolve this issue at home by downloading the latest E89 Daten files on Winfpk and succesfully uploading the update onto the Z4 EMF module.

If anyone else does not feel like paying BMW £250 to do this please contact me for instructions.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:16 pm

BMW4LIFE2019 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:45 pm Hi Everyone,

Sorry to revive an old but I recently had the ill fate of the E89 electronic E-Brake failure and over the past few weeks I have been pulling my hair out without finding any resolution for this problem.

Well im happy to say that I managed to resolve this issue at home by downloading the latest E89 Daten files on Winfpk and succesfully uploading the update onto the Z4 EMF module.

If anyone else does not feel like paying BMW £250 to do this please contact me for instructions.
So it was basically a software update that fixed it?
I notice in the used car ads online now, second hand electric cars are promoted with 'latest software update', 'new firmware' etc. I guess it shows the way cars are going when the software's more important than the mechanical bits. :?
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:30 pm

I think the original software is flaky when the battery voltage falls below optimum levels & the update is able to continue operating despite this, it’s a shame bmw doesn’t treat this as a recall but instead charges like a wounded rhinoceros to fix it instead :x
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Maybach_man

Post by Maybach_man » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:29 pm

Just for reference...don't know if it tells anybody anything...but have just had a lot of low battery issues that have been going on for a few months and has resulted in 3 days of tests at Sytners and a new battery. I had no issues with the handbrake at any time.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:38 pm

Maybach_man wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:29 pm Just for reference...don't know if it tells anybody anything...but have just had a lot of low battery issues that have been going on for a few months and has resulted in 3 days of tests at Sytners and a new battery. I had no issues with the handbrake at any time.
Maybe this only affected earlier cars
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:24 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:38 pm
Maybach_man wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:29 pm Just for reference...don't know if it tells anybody anything...but have just had a lot of low battery issues that have been going on for a few months and has resulted in 3 days of tests at Sytners and a new battery. I had no issues with the handbrake at any time.
Maybe this only affected earlier cars
Possibly earlier cars only and basically it happened when the battery was almost dead. There is low and there is very low to the point it is touch and go if it’ll start or not. The error advises that it’s a wheel speed sensor fault. After I had the update made, even with a low battery to the point where I had to jump it cause it hadn’t been used in a couple of months it was fine.

Still a flaky bit of software initially developed by BMW and a right pain in jacksie.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

degenatron

Post by degenatron » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:41 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm not able to contact the poster directly, maybe they'll monitor the thread or someone else can confirm the method for the update?

Get 'Daten' files from here (2017, 4.5GB):
https://mega.nz/#!V0dWRBLS!Ov5i3Xxql0hc ... 2wUSAdq-z8

Install WinKFP from here:
https://mega.nz/#!kAASwa7I!AJLVnnEBwLgz ... ofE-TBYGmk

Import the downloaded Daten into WinKFP using this method:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attac ... 1337480801

Using an OBD cable that works with INPA, flash the aforementioned EMF module as in this process:
https://ncs-expert.com/winkfp-software-quick-guide

The lesson here is to get your car updated! (mine is a 60-reg, battery voltage dipped to 11.9V in the cold weather)
While we're at it, is it worth updating any other modules? Clearly this is an isolated case that safety critical equipment becomes unusable after something as mundane as low battery voltage...!

jmb

Post by jmb » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:47 pm

I've sold mine now, but I never had another problem with the brake after the update, even when I had battery warnings after periods of not using it.
They did a full update and it also fixed distortion playing music from a USB drive!

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:32 pm

Perhaps the DVLA should be informed of this safety critical issue and force BMW into a call back for free upgrade when the problem occurs. As this serves as the emergency brake.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:54 pm

flybobbie wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:32 pm Perhaps the DVLA should be informed of this safety critical issue and force BMW into a call back for free upgrade when the problem occurs. As this serves as the emergency brake.
Bmw would avoid having to do this by saying that normal braking is unaffected by the handbrake issue I should imagine? :?
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:46 pm

I am assuming the emergency brake is a legal requirement, therefore it has to be designed not to fail. Ok wear and tear and bad adjustment is beyond BMW control, but the responsibility of the owner, but not software based control where it could be said the average owner or garage can't fix. I'm sure Boeing or Airbus would take responsibility if a software bug was causing their planes to crash. Can't see this is any different. Bad software is no different to bad airbag design.

My business partners Zed was a Friday afternoon car, as soon as the e-brake failed to engage, the next day she part exchanged for a Merc. She had had enough of the car. Been to BMW so many times it must (?) have had all the software updated.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:17 pm

flybobbie wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:46 pm I am assuming the emergency brake is a legal requirement, therefore it has to be designed not to fail. Ok wear and tear and bad adjustment is beyond BMW control, but the responsibility of the owner, but not software based control where it could be said the average owner or garage can't fix. I'm sure Boeing or Airbus would take responsibility if a software bug was causing their planes to crash. Can't see this is any different. Bad software is no different to bad airbag design.

My business partners Zed was a Friday afternoon car, as soon as the e-brake failed to engage, the next day she part exchanged for a Merc. She had had enough of the car. Been to BMW so many times it must (?) have had all the software updated.
There is a big difference in your comparison with planes crashing, a defective handbrake won’t cause the car to crash as normal braking is unaffected.
It’s more of an annoying inconvenience than a life or death safety issue & that’s why there’s been no safety recall.
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

eejlny

Post by eejlny » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:50 pm

Thanks for the instructions and files. I guess this is dangerous and the ECU could get thrashed with this update ? I am debating if taking into the dealer or doing the update myself.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:11 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:17 pm
flybobbie wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:46 pm I am assuming the emergency brake is a legal requirement, therefore it has to be designed not to fail. Ok wear and tear and bad adjustment is beyond BMW control, but the responsibility of the owner, but not software based control where it could be said the average owner or garage can't fix. I'm sure Boeing or Airbus would take responsibility if a software bug was causing their planes to crash. Can't see this is any different. Bad software is no different to bad airbag design.

There is a big difference in your comparison with planes crashing, a defective handbrake won’t cause the car to crash as normal braking is unaffected.
It’s more of an annoying inconvenience than a life or death safety issue & that’s why there’s been no safety recall.
Rob
The ebrake is a legal required alternative to the normal brakes, should application through the foot pedal fail.
Lets face it, if it didn't work it would fail a mot. If it's faulty by design, ie the software is the weak point because it can corrupt, no different to corrupt software not firing off the air bags, which i assume would involve a call back.
Did you know the first fly by wire Airbus had five computers, with 3 out of 5 had to agree before an output was given.
Problem was Airbus wanted five separate organisations to write software so any cliches didn't happen to all five computers. Also they didn't want the software writers all coming from the same Uni or lecturers that may introduce a common error or wacky idea.
So i wonder how many people are involved in BMW software design.

degenatron

Post by degenatron » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:30 pm

Could someone with the ability PM the user above "BMW4LIFE2019" and ask to post a few more details. What cable did they use, and are the links I posted above relevant at all?
I'm not having much luck trying with a k/dcan cable from BMcables.