Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

WANTED Z3 Hardtop

You must have a post count >25 to post adverts in here (private sales only, no traders)
Fermat

Z3 Hardtop

Post by Fermat » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:50 pm

Hello

Yes, I know this is the Z4 forum (I do have one of those) :-)

Just wondering is anyone might have any suggestions as to where I might source a Z3 hardtop, or have any suggestions as to the best Z3 forum to poke around in.

Thank you!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Z3 Hardtop

Post by Smartbear » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:08 pm

Fermat wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:50 pm Hello

Just wondering is anyone might have any suggestions as to where I might source a Z3 hardtop, or have any suggestions as to the best Z3 forum to poke around in.

Thank you!
Hi, the hardtops themselves aren’t difficult to come by, it’s the mounting brackets that are like rocking horse sh*t!
At the front it’s just a couple of screws, it’s the brackets at the rear that are the problem, bmw stopped making them years ago & the z3 never had them fitted as standard.
Just keep an eye on eBay/z3roadster.org etc and save a big pile of money up :cry:
Rob
Last edited by Smartbear on Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Fermat

Z3 Hardtop

Post by Fermat » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:20 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:08 pm Hi, thehardtops themselves aren’t difficult to come by, it’s the mounting brackets that are like rocking horse sh*t!
At the front it’s just a couple of screws, it’s the brackets at the rear that are the problem, bmw stopped making them years ago & the z3 never had them fitted as standard.
Just keep an eye on eBay/z3roadster.org etc and save a big pile of money up :cry:
Rob
Hello Rob

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

In our case the mounting kit shouldn't be an issue because the Z3 already has a hard top fitted, including the rear demister. The issue is that the seals on the existing roof are pretty much shot, and the seals are not a part in their own right that you can get hold of or order. The car has a tendency to leak when it rains hard, and it is never used to do that in the early days. I have been looking on eBay and they run to £800 to £1k ish, and I think the z3roadster site is dead isn't it?

So, in order to keep the rain out, the only thing to try is to replace the hard top, or the seals for the hard top (from another hard top), and redo all the window alignments. It is a completely pointless exercise from an economic point of view, but to keep the lovely little car, we have little choice.

Failing that, it would be a case of trying to find someone to make up a set of seals, but I would have no idea where to start with that. Any ideas?

Thanks

srhutch

Z3 Hardtop

Post by srhutch » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:59 pm

Presume you have tried gummi pfledge on the seals?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nextzett-Gum ... SwA3dYh4lt

scooobydont

Z3 Hardtop

Post by scooobydont » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:38 pm

The Zroadster forum is still going strong:

https://zroadster.org/forums/

Fermat

Z3 Hardtop

Post by Fermat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:15 pm

srhutch wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:59 pm Presume you have tried gummi pfledge on the seals?
I haven't actually. Sorry, not a huge car tinkerer generally, but sort of starting to need to be if I want to hang on to a Z3 and Z4, as they are not new cars anymore.

The garage that looked at the Z3 for me (after I gave up trying to resolve the issue myself) are of the opinion that the windows have been repeatedly been adjusted incorrectly (by former servicing garage) in an attempt to maintain the water seal. The result of that is that the roof seals have been bent out of shape over time, for want of a better explanation.

It seems that BMW have never made the hard top roof seals as a part, and therefore the only source of the roof seals would appear to be another roof with better seals, unless I can find someone who will make up new seals from scratch.

Fermat

Z3 Hardtop

Post by Fermat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:17 pm

scooobydont wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:38 pm The Zroadster forum is still going strong:

https://zroadster.org/forums/
Thanks, I will go have a poke around there in due course, as I have not joined them previously.

I was thinking z3roadster.org, which doesn't appear to go anywhere anymore.

Hagasan

Z3 Hardtop

Post by Hagasan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:03 pm

Fermat wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:50 pm Hello

Thank you!
Found this,..

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 164617328/

Fermat

Z3 Hardtop

Post by Fermat » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:07 pm

Hagasan wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:03 pm Found this,..

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 164617328/
Thanks for the heads up!