Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

WANTED Mini Cooper S or similar

You must have a post count >25 to post adverts in here (private sales only, no traders)
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Mini Cooper S or similar

Post by Smartbear » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:31 pm

Nictrix wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:01 pm
Smartbear wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:07 pm
Nictrix wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:04 pm

What he said plus the poor mpg, higher tax and insurance group than a cooper.
There are other common problems like rear calipers seizing, door actuators, thermostat housing splitting, crank seals going and wrecking clutches.
It depends on what you would class as money saving though. Cant speak for the cooper s but the cooper didn't do more than 40mpg and for such a small car I thought this was terrible.
You had a bad one, our 2012 r55 does 50+mpg on a run :thumbsup:
Rob
It was a 2006 R56 which I think was a peugeot engine.
Bmw/Peugeot collaboration know as the “prince” engine I think, they revised them right up to the last n18 editions (2012+) where they were considered fairly sorted :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Mini Cooper S or similar

Post by Woots » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:39 pm

Ah it’s hard! Not helped by the fact I don’t have to get it until October
But deciding what is best is hard! MPG I’m not fussed about as I’m away most of the time
Lotus Exige 350

rally-chris

Mini Cooper S or similar

Post by rally-chris » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:55 pm

If you like MINIs and don’t want to spend much I’d suggest looking at one of the last R53 cooper s models instead. That has a lot more character than the R56 due to the supercharger, and doesn’t have the timing chain and coking up issues of the early R56 S engine.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Mini Cooper S or similar

Post by Woots » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:05 pm

rally-chris wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:55 pm If you like MINIs and don’t want to spend much I’d suggest looking at one of the last R53 cooper s models instead. That has a lot more character than the R56 due to the supercharger, and doesn’t have the timing chain and coking up issues of the early R56 S engine.

Chris
Oh really I thought it would’ve been less reliable?! Interesting....
Lotus Exige 350

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Mini Cooper S or similar

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:41 pm

Mrs Tidy has had her R56 Cooper since December 2006 and it's a brilliant car!

Mind you since she added about 50% to the list price with extras it should be! :roll: (Air-con, full leather, Bi-Xenons, upgraded alloys, coloured trim highlights and disco lights spring to mind).

Hers has only done 54K miles, but the OBC is showing over 41 mpg.

It's no ball of fire, but it goes pretty well for an N/A 16V - and to be fair they really aren't light!

If I wanted a fun for your budget I think I'd be looking for an Ibiza FR, or maybe Cupra - you could always get it chipped too! :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Mini Cooper S or similar

Post by kis » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:02 am

I’d say R53 or R52 S as well. They’re supposed to be better than the R56. Were a issues with them, timing chain mainly I think. Less probs on the older model. Plus the older version actually had a supercharger? Obviously all needs to be well maintained. The older Cooper S holds its value quite well, as well! Will be cheaper to buy and insure as well!
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Mini Cooper S or similar

Post by tomscott » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:04 am

Ive had 4 and currently have a new clubman JCW.

Cooper F56, Cooper S F56, Cooper S R56 and now F54 Clubman JCW.

Non of the cooper S got more than 40mpg and my clubman jcw struggles to get 30 and round town its awful my 4 mile commute usually records 8mpg :cry: but on the motorway it seems to lap the miles up with 40mpg, it is still running in tho so hopefully will get better. The cooper wasn't any better IMO so I would have the Cooper S as the cooper just doesn't have enough power. The F56 was my favorite, absolute hoot to drive the R56 felt bigger and heavier although the interior was so much better. The F54 clubman a close second with the 4WD and longer wheelbase I think its a more capable car than the hatch, there is no torque steer and in sport mode it turns into quite an A&B blaster and has room for actual people in the back seats and a boot big enough for the dog. It is as quick as the hatch JCW and is great as a practical family hack.

The worst one I had was the F56 it was one of the first off the line and had two engines in 12k, the crank shaft sheared twice and cars from early 14 into early 15 cars were problematic. They switched over to a BMW made engine instead of the french made Pug/Citroen engines. The first replacement was a straight swap and the second was the updated 15' BMW engine which seemed to solve the issues, by then I completely lost faith in it and got rid.

Ive always bought new Minis and have always had good returns they hold their value well and had almost no problems other than the R56 lemon. I had an drive shaft seal go very quick in my first R56 cooper which was a big job to sort but sorted under warranty. They just have so much personality than anything else you can buy, the tech level is also excellent. The packs are affordable and you get a lot with them they are essentially the same as the BMW packs but they are more expensive and the mini seems to get more stuff as standard.

With the sensible hat on the Golf R or a 330/335/340 would have been better choices than the clubman, being quicker, better MPG and similar price but they are just so boring inside and out IMO. Always loved mini's an will continue to. I have only seen one other Clubman JCW too whereas Golf Rs and 3 series seem to be 2 a penny everywhere.

TBH the cooper was a bit of a disappointment for me it just didnt have the power, the Cooper S is a far better car imo although as mentioned they arent cheap to run but what fun cars are? Also have to bare in mind they are not practical in the slightest the rear seats are suitable for kids not much more and the boot you will struggle to fit more than 2-3 bags of shopping.

Couple of pics of mine.