Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Please close - new topic created

Buying and selling Z4's (VEHICLE SALES ONLY) (private sales only, no traders)
Phoenixboy

2006 Z4 M Roadster - 68K miles - full service history and warranty

Post by Phoenixboy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:38 pm

Mroadster your car looks stunning!
One day I’ll be in a position to own one.
Hope it goes to someone who will appreciate it.
The pictures of it wrapped look stunning.
If anyone is genuinely interested they will come and see it.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

Mroadster

Post by Mroadster » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:39 pm

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:56 pm

Buckz wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:33 pm you really need to attach some pics of the wrap without the silly filters on. Those do not represent the colour of the car so it's proper annoying looking at it.
I said a similar thing last month, the pictures look a bit false and not very clear.
Yes people can go and see it in the flesh but pictures are what people see first and as you can see on this forum pictures can make or break a car just with the angle never mind filters or photoshopping in a for sale ad.
The pictures of the car when it was silver look really clear and the others should be the same.
None of this is meant to bring the car down at all but more to see the car as it should be and help with the sale.
I think the car with the wrap looks great but it does look a little fake.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:03 am

Remember the Days of paper Autotrader when the rep used to come out and take one sh***y picture thats all buyers had to go on and people still bought cars :lol:

Gltws!

Sure there'll be someone out there for it!

Personally wouldn't buy an expensive wrapped car but different strokes for different folks :)
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Phoenixboy

Post by Phoenixboy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:11 pm

Just when you thought you were going be left in peace to sell your car.😒
If someone is going to ignore a car that ticks all the boxes based on the pictures of the wrap, you can probably do without them coming round annoying you.
If there’s other issues, then you wouldn’t pursue it.
Just my opinion.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:48 am

I think the car looks great,a nice alternative to ImolaRed red :thumbsup:
Glwts op
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Mavster

Post by Mavster » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:44 am

Do you have pics of what the inside looks like now please ?
E89 35iS

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Lynchy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:53 am

craig3.2 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:48 am I think the car looks great,a nice alternative to ImolaRed red :thumbsup:
Glwts op
A nice alternative but not as good :wink:

Mroadster

Post by Mroadster » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:24 pm

Mavster wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:44 am Do you have pics of what the inside looks like now please ?
Hey Mavster,

the inside is absolutely unchanged from how it looks in the pictures from one year ago. And I mean it, I am obsessive compulsive about safeguarding things as they are, and even just a scratch would bother me. The only detail that doesn't look as new from factory is the three bits on the steering wheel, which originally come covered with this gummy matte material, which gets easily scratched off with time. All the rest is in pristine condition, literally "as new" (even the seats).

Lynchy, I know I can't convince an Imola red owner (I suppose?) but there is no comparison, really.. True blood is just on another level :P

I appreciate all the advices.. I think people assumes I desperately am looking for a buyer, which I'm not. I'm actually trying to hold on to this car day after day, as long as I can. I love this car, it's probably the first car in my whole life that I don't feel like changing after only six months of ownership and that I looked forward keeping with me forever, like when you meet the woman that you want to marry and have kids with. I love BMWs, it's my "team" since I was a kid. I love roadsters, and since this car BMW has stopped building serious sports cars with a classic aspirated inline six, which is the essence of BMW. So this is the last and the best of the pure breed, the perfect car for me, and I wouldn't trade it for a Ferrari or a McLaren etc (I mean I wouldn't spend the extra money even if I had it, I really don't desire them over my Z4M).

The first thing I would do after the sale would be to look for a good 3.0, because I'd be heart broken.

So this sale is painful for me, and I won't sell the car to a vulture or someone that can't appreciate it, like that guy that was here in the forum a while ago looking for an M for 9k£. He PMd me saying "you're just selling a depreciating 11 yo BMW" (which is particularly ridiculous as the strong appreciation of these cars in the next few years is obvious, just see what happens with every other small production classic M model and Z3Ms, and also considering that a dealer has already offered me 11.5 to 12.5 k£ without even seeing the car - obviously they know they can quickly sell it for at least 2/3k£ more). I seriously hope guys like him never find anyone willing to sell him one. These cars deserve better owners.

Speed.Deman

Post by Speed.Deman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:49 pm

Mroadster wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:24 pmSo this sale is painful for me, and I won't sell the car to a vulture or someone that can't appreciate it, like that guy that was here in the forum a while ago looking for an M for 9k£. He PMd me saying "you're just selling a depreciating 11 yo BMW" (which is particularly ridiculous as the strong appreciation of these cars in the next few years is obvious, just see what happens with every other small production classic M model and Z3Ms, and also considering that a dealer has already offered me 11.5 to 12.5 k£ without even seeing the car - obviously they know they can quickly sell it for at least 2/3k£ more). I seriously hope guys like him never find anyone willing to sell him one. These cars deserve better owners.
Gosh, you're a bit of an unpleasant chap aren't you?

You have misrepresented me as well as our conversation as you well know. I have paraphrased the true position as accurately as possible below.

1. I have not started a thread looking for a Z4M at £9,000. My thread is clearly visible for the record. I simply mentioned £9,000 in the context of another car as my assessment of what a car "might" go for. If I was wrong, that's absolutely fine. I was simply thinking out aloud and expressing an opinion on a forum that is welcoming of both those things. I am not a wealthy person but I was an enthusiast hoping to stretch my budget to its limit to find the right car.

2. I offered you £11,000 with the wrap off subject to inspection. You replied, "I'll keep that in mind (seriously!), but to be honest, there's an official BMW dealership that offered 12500£". When you said you had a dealer offer at £12,500 (I note you have now changed your tune and suggest it's now a "range" up to £12,500), I immediately wished you well, good luck and told you not to worry about my offer (which now appears to be just £500 off what a dealer could quite realistically offer you, by your own admission).

3. We then had a friendly conversation about an eBay car that did not attract any bids above £10,500. I took the view that it didn't sell because it couldn't attract a buyer who felt prepared to pay more than £10,500. You responded with your opinion: "As you say.. you saw that similar car NOT being sold for 10500£.... not only for lack of buyers, but also lack of interest for selling it for so little money..". I replied with my opinion, "Hi mate, with greatest respect, the car didn't sell because the market didn't think it was more than £10,500. The chap is now considering my offer of £10,750. These are older cars now and for all the chat about appreciation, etc, they're not doing any of that at the moment. In fact, they are slipping. Like I said, all said with respect! If I were you, I wouldn't keep my offer of £11,000 remotely in mind if they are prepared to offer you £12,500. It's a good offer."

4. You then responded using the analogy of a Picasso (which I thought was faintly ridiculous, though I was too polite to say so) saying: "You can't even say that the market didn't think it was worth more.. there weren't just buyers ready to spend the right amount of money, in that particular moment. If nobody is able to offer more than 5k£ for a Picasso, it doesn't mean a Picasso is worth 5k£. Again, if the seller NEEDS to sell immediately you might just be able to exploit it, but it's not the "market price", and you can't go to galleries and museums expecting they will accept it and sell you all their Picasso's.... just my two cents." Having read this thread and having gotten a fair measure of the type of personality you seem to be, I realised there would be little point in debating things with you further and I said: "I don't think I could say anything to change your mind mate. This is a ten year old depreciating BMW, not a blue chip car or a work of art. Good luck."

I am quite happy to put up the screenshots of the conversation if you would like me to. I have nothing to hide and I don't believe I have behaved inappropriately in any way, certainly not in a manner that would justify your calling me a "vulture" and then wishing I never find a good car.

I would not have bothered responding to your post if I were not a new member to this forum. I want to be a contributing member and I did not want you creating the negative impression of me that your post suggests. It reflects very poorly on you.

The fact that your car has not sold since at least 5 September 2011, could have a number of reasons, including but not limited to the fact that people who have viewed either come away uncomfortable with the car or uncomfortable with their encounter with you. It could also be because your car is overpriced.

Apologies to other forum members for derailing the thread from it's purpose, but I didn't think this should go unanswered. I am happy for moderators to remove my post if they feel it is appropriate and accept my apologies if it breaches any forum rules.

Mroadster

Post by Mroadster » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:56 pm

Deman, it's fine.. I don't think you needed to go on that much. I think people on forums take things really too seriously.

You just confirmed what I wrote though, when you describe a Z4 M a "depreciating 10 yo BMW". That is definitely ridiculous.

I never compared my car to a Picasso, I just said that if an auction for a Picasso goes empty and nobody offers the reserve price of 5k, that doesn't mean it automatically becomes the market price for a Picasso, which is what you insisted on saying "the market didn't think it was worth more than that".

You can call my car overpriced (obviously, as you're determined in buying one for 9/11k), but considering what is being sold at the moment (and considering the mileages) it's on the low end of the prices, and it is evident that these cars are already appreciating, having already touched the lowest point. It's obvious even in this section of the forum that there are more people interested in buying than people selling. Cars in good condition and decent mileage are getting rarer and sought after, as many in the automotive press are nominating them as best 10 yo car to buy and calling them forgotten gems.

As you remembered, an official BMW dealer offered me 12.5k (WITH THE WRAP!!), and to me that is ultimate proof that the car has a market value higher than that.

It's such a limited production car that makes the market for it impossible to define using the categories that you use. You're on the market with the attitude of someone trying to get a steal deal on a diesel Golf.

I get it though, as a buyer you need to insist they are worth nothing and exploit a seller desperation. The art of the deal.
Last edited by Mroadster on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Truth

Post by Truth » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:15 pm

I think as Z4m owners we should be setting the bar high on prices ( sorry buyers ) to manipulate the market value as dealers have done for years. Take the z8 and e46 CSL. if we all work together our cars will be worth more. We all need to stop on these for sale threads saying “That’s too much” or “that’s high”
The rising tide raises all ships.
Just food for thought for the future ( alliteration aside! )
Z4MC

Mroadster

Post by Mroadster » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:18 pm

Truth wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:15 pm I think as Z4m owners we should be setting the bar high on prices ( sorry buyers ) to manipulate the market value as dealers have done for years. Take the z8 and e46 CSL. if we all work together our cars will be worth more. We all need to stop on these for sale threads saying “That’s too much” or “that’s high”
EXACTLY!!!!!!!

And this will happen anyway as these cars are rare and - as long as there are no desperate sellers - it's the buyers that will start begging the owners offering ridiculous prices for them, just to get hold of one.
Last edited by Mroadster on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Truth

Post by Truth » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:20 pm

Mroadster wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:18 pm
Truth wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:15 pm I think as Z4m owners we should be setting the bar high on prices ( sorry buyers ) to manipulate the market value as dealers have done for years. Take the z8 and e46 CSL. if we all work together our cars will be worth more. We all need to stop on these for sale threads saying “That’s too much” or “that’s high”
EXACTLY!!!!!!!
Without a wrap! :P
Z4MC

Mroadster

Post by Mroadster » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:24 pm

Truth wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:20 pm
Mroadster wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:18 pm
EXACTLY!!!!!!!
Without a wrap! :P
You all know that the wrap can go.. when a serious buyer will come forward. I said it many times.. I won't strip off a fresh, good looking, expensive wrap job that is also protecting the paint job and preserving the car.. just to appeal buyers. That is also part of not being desperate to chase buyers. :wink: