Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

FOR SALE Cat B Z4 Coupe - testing the market..

Buying and selling Z4's (VEHICLE SALES ONLY) (private sales only, no traders)
Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Cat B Z4 Coupe - testing the market..

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:00 pm

Newbers wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:19 pm
The guidance for Cat B was that it should be crushed but this was not a legal requirement just the definition under the insurance industry system. Apparently it was not uncommon for flood damaged cars as the electronics get ruined and there was a risk of contaminated water.
That sounds about right from what I remember when I was handling insurance motor claims back in the late 70s into the early 90s.

I know early on a few cars with water damage got repaired, then months later components would fail and there was always a big debate about whether they were just "end of life" or were water damaged. And as more electronics were fitted it only got worse!

My employer at the time decided that anything that had water damage above the centre of the wheels was declared a total loss to avoid that sort of hassle - which was handy for my mate in the salvage trade! I remember he got a 3 or 4 year old mid-80s Honda Accord that had got wet, and had an ECU under the passenger seat that cost over £500 new. He managed to source one out of a breaker, but insurers only fitted new so it often wasn't worth their while.

My mate did get a few cars through a VIC inspection, but it was very rigorous and wasn't cheap so he had to do the maths before repairing them.

As someone said earlier I'd rather have a car that had got wet but was fitted with a replacement engine than one that had actually been crashed.

I did buy a few Stolen/Recovered cars and never had any issues with them - but back then the general public didn't have access to the database!

I hope it you do OK from the sale - selling the Aeros will certainly put some cash in your kitty!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:15 pm

Discussing it on here probably hasn't helped the re-sale value, unfortunately, from what I've seen.
GLWTS and I hope you get what you want :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:42 pm

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I assume the car is showing on the MID as a CAT B loss, given that, how easy has it been to insure and has the premium been heavily weighted ?
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:03 pm

After 10 years with same owner, where other cars that have led a normal life are having failure of window regulators, coil packs, abs sensors & pumps, roof motors, starter motors, ignition switches… etc… etc I kinda feel it’s proven anything g that’s likely to have gone wrong would have gone wrong by now…

At this 14 year age, likely it’s a reasonably good bet for someone wanting to get into Coupe ownership, though it’s history means it’ll never be worth premium money

I’d suggest as it stands feel anywhere between £7-8k would be fair, given any new buyer would be taking on its history :thumbsup:
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54