Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

NO LONGER WANTED E85 2.5Si or 3.0 in Scotland or with in hour of the border?

Buying and selling Z4's (VEHICLE SALES ONLY) (private sales only, no traders)
Enigmatik

E85 2.5Si or 3.0 in Scotland or with in hour of the border?

Post by Enigmatik » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:32 pm

After spending a few weeks looking at some slightly suspect Z4's I thought I'd look on the owners forum. Picking seem to be slim in Scotland so might need to make a foraging trip south. Having tried a 2l and a 2.5Si (which I suspect had a front end mishap) a 6 cylinder seems the best choice so if anyone knows of a :

2.5Si 2006/2007 or a 3.0 2004/2005
with manual box
black M sports seats (corrected due to Mr Tidy's advice)
in grey, black or silver at a push

around Scotland or within hours drive of the border, I'd be interested in chatting.

Any help appreciated

Cheers
Ross
Last edited by Enigmatik on Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:52 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum Ross. :thumbsup:

I'd agree 6 cylinders is the way to go. A straight 6 is one of the Z4s unique features and they do seem to be considered more reliable - although that is based purely on what I have read on here!

Apologies if you have already done loads of research on here, but when you say "sports seats" I'm wondering if what you really want are M-Sport seats.

Sport seats look like this and were standard on all pre-facelift cars.
Z4 Sport seats.jpg
Z4 Sport seats.jpg (41.64 KiB) Viewed 447 times
M-Sport seats were a rarely specified option, but have been retro-fitted quite often. They look like this.
Z4 M Sport seats.jpg
Z4 M Sport seats.jpg (6.09 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Facelift models came as SE or Sport models. SEs got the "sport" seats with "M-Sport" as an option whereas, Sport models had them as standard.

So if you find a 2.5Si (or 3.0Si) Sport it will have them, but an earlier 3.0i probably won't - and they fetch good money.

Just avoid the facelift 2.5i as it is a detuned 2.5Si with little more power than the earlier 2.2i.

Hope that makes sense, and enjoy your search for the right one. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:55 am

Welcome to the forum Ross, a good decision to join us.
You will see a generally higher standard of car offered for sale on here as most people know any small issue will soon be spotted. Plus, of course, forum members tend to look after their vehicles a little bit better.
You may need to wait quite a while to find one in your specified area though.
The beauty of the forum is that whilst you can be fairly certain that the cars are a high quality, you can usually find ways to make a longer distance deal work too, if needed. I'd suggest you keep an open mind on location and concentrate on the spec you want.
Also, were you to find one through another avenue which was further away, you could potentially find a forum member nearby who would take a look for you.
All in all, you have definitely made a step in the right direction and I wish you a fruitful and speedy hunt.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:02 am

Hi Ross, welcome to the forum, great choice of car to go looking for.

Certainly will find a higher quality of car on here in most instances and as snuff said you may have to travel to get that ideal purchase.

Only this week someone flew down from Glasgow, purchased a forum e89 and drove back the same day a very happy man looking at the pics.

Good luck with the search :thumbsup:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:55 am

Hello and welcome Ross, as a remotish Scottish member I bought 2 of my 3 Z4’s south of England and probably 10 out of my last 12 cars were the same.

I’d very much buying condition and specification rather than location. There’s not many places that aren’t easily accessible from the Central Belt as long as you’re happy with the drive home. In reverse, the recent buyer of my 35iS flew from London to Glasgow and bus to Argyll.

Walk round videos and possibly a member looking for you if not a forum car are all helpful things you may get from on here as they’re generally a friendly, helpful bunch.

Good luck with your search and I hope it’s not too long :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Striven

Post by Striven » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:13 am

Ross,
    Would you be interested in a Z4M roadster ?
    Previous
    Volvo 360 GLS
    BMW 318iS
    Mercedes 230C
    BMW 328 Cabrio
    Audi S4 Avant
    TVR Tuscan Red Rose
    Lotus Elise 111S
    Lotus Exige Cup 240
    Porsche Boxster Spyder
    Audi A3 eTron

Current
    BMW Z4M roadster
    BMW i3s

Enigmatik

Post by Enigmatik » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:54 pm

Hi folks, thanks all for the warm welcome. The site has been great for research and deciding what issues I can and can't live with.

Mr Tidy, thanks for the correction on the Seats, I thought the Sports seats were just SE/Comfy Seats and the M-Sport seats were Sports seats. Pictures helped. I assume these are an easy swap and if I find a tidy car with good condition I can try hunting some down? I did see a set on Ebay. I tried a 2.5Si first which was really nice and the seats were the best fit I've had, so they kind of sold me on that style, unfortunately despite looking tidy and driving nicely, some over spray on the seal between the front bumper and lights/wing, 3rd party headlights fitted with crimp connections and a new radiator kind of suggested a front end adventure. I then went to look at a facelift 2l which was a bit rough despite full history and 65k miles. Blow in the exhaust around the Cat area, worn M-Sport drivers seat and dull paint put me off and the 4 cheap tyres nailed it. Sounds picky I guess but going to see a sports car with cheapy no brand tyres really puts me off.

I take the advice I might have to travel, I'm in Glasgow and been checking a few around Scotland but all the tidy ones seem to be south of the border, it's just a bit of a trek to be disappointed unless viewing a few in close proximity. So looking on here I've seen some honest ads re cosmetic stuff but the main issues being resolved and hoping it might be an easier search if I can be patient.

Striven, interested yes but outside my budget at the moment sadly. I'll probably looking around the £4 to 5K mark which might mean I'm in the cheaper stuff but will stretch a bit for a good car as it's to be a second car at the moment.

Cornwall1888

Post by Cornwall1888 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:32 pm

Enigmatik wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:32 pm After spending a few weeks looking at some slightly suspect Z4's I thought I'd look on the owners forum. Picking seem to be slim in Scotland so might need to make a foraging trip south. Having tried a 2l and a 2.5Si (which I suspect had a front end mishap) a 6 cylinder seems the best choice so if anyone knows of a :

2.5Si 2006/2007 or a 3.0 2004/2005
    with manual box
    black M sports seats (corrected due to Mr Tidy's advice)
    in grey, black or silver at a push

around Scotland or within hours drive of the border, I'd be interested in chatting.

Any help appreciated

Cheers
    Ross
    Hi Ross,

I’m from Edinburgh selling my silver 2004 3.0i manual, it’s posted on the forum and autotrader so you can have a look