Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

NO LONGER WANTED (Updated Post) - Wanted 3.0 Litre manual low mileage roadster (or 6 cylinder E89 manual 23i M-Sport)

Buying and selling Z4's (VEHICLE SALES ONLY) (private sales only, no traders)
longleydel

(Updated Post) - Wanted 3.0 Litre manual low mileage roadster (or 6 cylinder E89 manual 23i M-Sport)

Post by longleydel » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:56 am

Hi, I posted an add on the Forum some weeks ago (having recently joined the Forum) and have just updated this post. I’m still wanting to acquire a very well cared for and cherished low mileage 3.0 manual Z4, but would also consider an E89 6 cylinder manual M-Sport.

My preference is a 3 litre manual vehicle. Since my budget is around £10,000 (perhaps a little more for the correct car) I'm focusing on the E85 model (M54 or N52 engine). Full service history is important with a mileage of under 45,000 miles.
I would also consider an E89 23i manual M-Sport model. Since these cars are marginally newer the mileage needs to be under 40,000.

I'm retired, and plan to keep the car for some time and know the Forum is a great place to look for a vehicle that has been properly maintained and cared for by an enthusiast.

I live close to the Dartford crossing (M25) in Kent and would be happy to travel some distance for the right car.

Hopefully, someone may be thinking of selling their Z4, but hasn't yet advertised this through the usual online platforms.

There is a nice 2005 3.0 E85 advertised on the Forum down in Penzance, but have been unable to contact Nick1995 about this. Someone in S Wales also contacted me about his 2006 3.0si, but changed his mind about selling. That car sounded ideal and would still be very interested in it if he has since thought about selling again.

Derek

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

(Updated Post) - Wanted 3.0 Litre manual low mileage roadster (or 6 cylinder E89 manual 23i M-Sport)

Post by Lynchy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:01 am

There’s a nice Z4 E85 3.0si right on your doorstep in Crayford. It is advertised on FB and looks pretty good.
FA6CF095-6F7D-4667-B53A-3609BEE73709.png
FA6CF095-6F7D-4667-B53A-3609BEE73709.png (715.23 KiB) Viewed 991 times

longleydel

Post by longleydel » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:46 pm

Thanks for sharing this. Must admit I don't use Facebook. it looks a nice car, but the mileage of 78,000 is far too high for the vehicle I'm looking for. Thanks again.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:12 pm

The are a few e89s around with sensible mileage but right now they are strong money, even for the 23i - Smash has a similar budget and is struggling to get one with under 70k miles.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:34 pm

longleydel wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:56 am Hi, I posted an add on the Forum some weeks ago (having recently joined the Forum) and have just updated this post. I’m still wanting to acquire a very well cared for and cherished low mileage 3.0 manual Z4, but would also consider an E89 6 cylinder manual M-Sport.

My preference is a 3 litre manual vehicle. Since my budget is around £10,000 (perhaps a little more for the correct car) I'm focusing on the E85 model (M54 or N52 engine). Full service history is important with a mileage of under 45,000 miles.
I would also consider an E89 23i manual M-Sport model. Since these cars are marginally newer the mileage needs to be under 40,000.

I'm retired, and plan to keep the car for some time and know the Forum is a great place to look for a vehicle that has been properly maintained and cared for by an enthusiast.

I live close to the Dartford crossing (M25) in Kent and would be happy to travel some distance for the right car.

Hopefully, someone may be thinking of selling their Z4, but hasn't yet advertised this through the usual online platforms.

There is a nice 2005 3.0 E85 advertised on the Forum down in Penzance, but have been unable to contact Nick1995 about this. Someone in S Wales also contacted me about his 2006 3.0si, but changed his mind about selling. That car sounded ideal and would still be very interested in it if he has since thought about selling again.

Derek
Here is a reasonable mileage e89 for sensible money - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114821228579 ... Swf8BgrJO4
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

longleydel

Post by longleydel » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:14 pm

Hi, thanks for you messages and for the link.

I see what you mean about £10-11,000 not being able to get an E89 M-Sport with sub-40,000 miles. I must admit my preference is for the more relaxed 3.0 litre which means an E85 model. Saw a privately advertised 2008 3.0Si roadster last week on Autotrader with only 16,000 (£10,999) in Lincoln, but was too slow and it sold the following day.

Derek

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:28 pm

Is there a reason for the need of low miles? Your really limiting your market.

Well looked after average miles cars would be my preference over a low mile car that’s not been used.

At 45k miles and some of these cars being up to 16 years old is less than 3k average miles. Probably find a car like that will need more work than a used average miler.

Trying to find an e85 with that sort of miles will be a challenge generally let alone in the currently climate.

Also big difference between the e85 and e89. Have you been and driven them? I think the 2.3 might be a bit of a disappointment. The 3.0 isn’t really what I would call relaxed in comparison.

Either way good luck with the search 👍🏻

PointedMarlin

Post by PointedMarlin » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:06 pm

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:40 pm

longleydel wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:14 pm Hi, thanks for you messages and for the link.

I see what you mean about £10-11,000 not being able to get an E89 M-Sport with sub-40,000 miles. I must admit my preference is for the more relaxed 3.0 litre which means an E85 model. Saw a privately advertised 2008 3.0Si roadster last week on Autotrader with only 16,000 (£10,999) in Lincoln, but was too slow and it sold the following day.

Derek
Hi it’s possible to get the e89 with the same 3.0 n52 engine as the e85 3.0si :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:04 pm

longleydel wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:14 pm Hi, thanks for you messages and for the link.

Derek
The 30i can be had in the e89 but again with a of budget £10 to £11k is going to be difficult to find a low mileage example.

longleydel

Post by longleydel » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:49 am

Thanks for all your helpful comments and advice (particularly from ‘tomscott’). I haven’t been in or driven a Z4, which is pretty shameful.

I have always assumed a lower mileage vehicle is preferable since too higher mileage implies more components will have higher wear and therefore running costs will mount up more quickly. 40-45,000 miles seemed a reasonable compromise. I understand the six cylinder engines require quite a bit more maintenance (vanos valves, DISA’s, stretched timing chains, worn piston oil rings) at higher mileages.

I wanted a car that had been enthusiastically cared for and not used on a daily basis. Any thoughts about what would constitute a sensible annual average mileage?

I was also interested in ‘tomscott’s comment about being disappointed in the 23i engine car over a 3.0 and differences between an E85 and E89. I assume this is about torque and the fact the larger engine car delivers better performance and generally more effortless to drive. On E85 v E89, I understand the latter is more refined overall (hardtop, better quality interior etc) and has a more compliant ride (unless it’s an E89 M-Sport with 19 inch wheels).

However, I don’t mind less refined. In the past I have owned a number of British sports cars (TR4A, TR5, MGB’s and an Austin Healy Sprite).

When I owned MG’s I belonged to the usual Owners and Car Clubs that regularly met allowing owners to meet up. Does this happen through the Forum? It would be interesting to come along to meet a local group and talk to them about their cars to help inform me.

Derek

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:04 pm

I went from a 3.0si e85 to the 2.5si (or 23i to give its oddly chosen moniker) e89, several members said I might be disappointed but that couldn't be further from the truth, I guess it all comes down to how you will use the car and your expectations, for me despite losing a few horses I find the e89 a much nicer all round package but then my days of hooning are mostly behind me now and for me its just a summer cruiser/tourer that can still be fun when you want it to be, (plus if I really want a speed fix I have my two wheeled toys)

I actually enjoy revving it out and pushing it to get the performance out of it when I do want a bit fun but mostly I drive it on sunny days in a more relaxed manner and enjoy the extra refinement it brings to the table.

If you want a weekend b road blaster then stick to a 3.0si for sure, if you want a more gt style weekend toy that can still provide a few thrills when you try hard enough with a bit more refinement then the e89 is a fine motor, It really is worth getting out and trying them both if you can but personally I don't think you'd be disappointed with either if you go in with an open mind..the fact you haven't tried either means you should at least try one..possibly you could find a 23i fairly locally at a dealer and get a cheeky test drive and then you can rule it out or include it in your search..good luck :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:45 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:04 pm I went from a 3.0si e85 to the 2.5si (or 23i to give its oddly chosen moniker) e89, several members said I might be disappointed but that couldn't be further from the truth, I guess it all comes down to how you will use the car and your expectations, for me despite losing a few horses I find the e89 a much nicer all round package but then my days of hooning are mostly behind me now and for me its just a summer cruiser/tourer that can still be fun when you want it to be, (plus if I really want a speed fix I have my two wheeled toys)

I actually enjoy revving it out and pushing it to get the performance out of it when I do want a bit fun but mostly I drive it on sunny days in a more relaxed manner and enjoy the extra refinement it brings to the table.

If you want a weekend b road blaster then stick to a 3.0si for sure, if you want a more gt style weekend toy that can still provide a few thrills when you try hard enough with a bit more refinement then the e89 is a fine motor, It really is worth getting out and trying them both if you can but personally I don't think you'd be disappointed with either if you go in with an open mind..the fact you haven't tried either means you should at least try one..possibly you could find a 23i fairly locally at a dealer and get a cheeky test drive and then you can rule it out or include it in your search..good luck :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

longleydel

Post by longleydel » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:53 pm

Hi, thanks for your helpful comments, especially having experience of both models I’m interested in. Seems the key thing is go and test drive to get a better idea.

I’m retired and my days of driving quickly everywhere are over. Like you, the occasional blast on a fine sunny day perhaps. It would be a weekend toy used in fine weather. Also, I would imagine my wife would prefer the comfort of a retractable hardtop and more interior space.

It’s a pity the M-Sports are quite a bit more expensive since these come with a lot more kit and therefore more sort after (important when the time comes to sell – though I hope to keep any Z4 for quite some time). Z4's appear to be holding their values at present (if not creeping up) which suggests they will depreciate far less over the next few years.

Derek

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Lynchy » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:02 pm

longleydel wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:53 pm Hi, thanks for your helpful comments, especially having experience of both models I’m interested in. Seems the key thing is go and test drive to get a better idea.

I’m retired and my days of driving quickly everywhere are over. Like you, the occasional blast on a fine sunny day perhaps. It would be a weekend toy used in fine weather. Also, I would imagine my wife would prefer the comfort of a retractable hardtop and more interior space.

It’s a pity the M-Sports are quite a bit more expensive since these come with a lot more kit and therefore more sort after (important when the time comes to sell – though I hope to keep any Z4 for quite some time). Z4's appear to be holding their values at present (if not creeping up) which suggests they will depreciate far less over the next few years.

Derek
The Z4 3.0si in Crayford is worth a look but if you want something a bit more refined and with a hard retractable roof then don’t rule out an E89 23i. I had one recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.