Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

WANTED Thoughts on this car and suggested buyer questions

Buying and selling Z4's (VEHICLE SALES ONLY) (private sales only, no traders)
YorkshireMatt

Thoughts on this car and suggested buyer questions

Post by YorkshireMatt » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:19 am

Morning all! Newbie here. Long time Z4 coupe admirer, perhaps now feels like the right time to act on it.

I came across this yesterday which is local to me and seems competitively priced. I was hoping for some advice from the veterans of the group on some solid questions to ask about the car please both in terms of service history/work done and specification.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... ual&page=1

Car will be a second car so happy to get something that I can 'tinker' with on a weekend.

Cheers!! Matt

Danglesberries

Post by Danglesberries » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:28 am

YorkshireMatt wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:19 am Morning all! Newbie here. Long time Z4 coupe admirer, perhaps now feels like the right time to act on it.

I came across this yesterday which is local to me and seems competitively priced. I was hoping for some advice from the veterans of the group on some solid questions to ask about the car please both in terms of service history/work done and specification.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... ual&page=1

Car will be a second car so happy to get something that I can 'tinker' with on a weekend.

Cheers!! Matt
First thing I'd look at is the recent MOT history and what was left 'unfixed' from a long list of issues found. Take the sellers reasons for sale with a pinch of salt. How long has he/she owned it? It's overpriced at £7,200 and you'll need to spend money on it.

davidmudley12

Post by davidmudley12 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:41 am

The MOT history doesn't suggest the most love and attention has been given to the car, i.e. fails the MOT and non of the advisory items were addressed. I'd be asking why and want a pretty solid explanation as to why they didn't feel it was worth addressing the brake hoses and coil, all of which I would classify as important areas for the car.

With that said, it all comes down to price, and these may be good negotiation points to get a deal on the car and then repair it yourself. I'm not convinced it represents amazing value but I also wouldn't be scared away by it.
Current cars: 2006 3.0si E85 Sapphire Black, cruise, MFSW.
BMW 535d Touring (F11)
Skoda Fabia 1.2
BMW S1000XR

davidmudley12

Post by davidmudley12 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:41 am

The MOT history doesn't suggest the most love and attention has been given to the car, i.e. fails the MOT and non of the advisory items were addressed. I'd be asking why and want a pretty solid explanation as to why they didn't feel it was worth addressing the brake hoses and coil, all of which I would classify as important areas for the car.

With that said, it all comes down to price, and these may be good negotiation points to get a deal on the car and then repair it yourself. I'm not convinced it represents amazing value but I also wouldn't be scared away by it.
Current cars: 2006 3.0si E85 Sapphire Black, cruise, MFSW.
BMW 535d Touring (F11)
Skoda Fabia 1.2
BMW S1000XR

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:15 pm

Monaco blue coupe, what’s not to like? These are solid cars if properly maintained, so don’t be afraid of the high mileage if it’s got a good service history and had all the usual issues (water pump, springs, corroded brake lines etc).
For the money, the price would be ok for an Si Sport in very good condition at this mileage. On the plus side you get a spare set of wheels (check, seller only mentions tyres). On the downside, the boot will be expensive to fix and you may have some residual maintenance/MOT issues to sort out. I’ve seen better deals out there; if you want this car you should be able to get the price down.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

M1k3yC

Post by M1k3yC » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:27 pm

will not get down the bridleway to our new house
I might politely ask if the owner has tried and what happened when they did :roll: People put some daft things in adverts.
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

pi1010

Post by pi1010 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:48 pm

Bridleway...so fewer potholes than the highway maintained roads :rofl: then.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:00 pm

pi1010 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:48 pm Bridleway...so fewer potholes than the highway maintained roads :rofl: then.
I have a farm lane and no end of potholes, drive very slowly its no issue at all, then again I only use the zed once a week if the sun is out - I would be more worried about scuffs n dings :thumbsdown:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:34 pm

Welcome to the forum Matt. :thumbsup:

That car looks OK apart from the boot damage, but the seller has been honest about that anyway.

Plus points are it has a red interior (plus for me anyway), seems to have heated seats and is said to have had a new OE water pump. Spare MP4S tyres are a bonus too, although ideally they would be on some wheels!

I haven't read the MOT history, which can be quite telling and it doesn't look like a bargain to me, but I wouldn't be put off by the mileage. N52 engines seem to cope well with high mileages.

Good luck with your search. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

gadgetJunky72

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Sat May 01, 2021 12:18 pm

Isn't Hebden Bridge where Jon Richardson (comedian) lives?