Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

NO LONGER WANTED E86 manual

Buying and selling Z4's (VEHICLE SALES ONLY) (private sales only, no traders)
DJBBC

E86 manual

Post by DJBBC » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:07 pm

Hi all,

After wanting an E86 for years I have spent most of lockdown perusing here/ autotrader/ pistonheads and trying to save enough money for a decent coupe.

These wanted ads seem to work more often than not so thought I would give my own a go:

Must haves:
- manual gearbox
- m sport seats
- heated seats
- Full service history
- can't be imola red (just a personal preference)

Nice to haves:
- Xenons
- 108s
- Montego blue exterior
- MFSW
- parking sensors
- not running run flats

I'm not too bothered on mileage - a well looked-after car that has high mileage would be okay as could use it more without worrying about value!

I've got about £7,500 to spend although could go up a bit more if something came up that ticked all the boxes!

Based in Falkirk Scotland (hence the heated seats being a necessity!), but willing to travel (lockdown permitting).

Thanks in advance for any help :)
Last edited by DJBBC on Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

E86 manual

Post by mr wilks » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:13 pm

Welcome to the forum , i don't think you are wanting the moon on a stick there with desires + budget .
Happy hunting , great cars to drive :driving: & own :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

E86 manual

Post by Number5 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:01 pm

I think Bowser134 still has a 70k Montego blue Coupe for sale and you couldn’t buy from a better source ( He runs his own BMW Indy ) but it’s nearer the £10k mark. Ex BMW management car too.

Maybe worth considering though ?
85FF07D1-CB1B-45AE-92D5-0EBF3C5CD4A7.jpeg
85FF07D1-CB1B-45AE-92D5-0EBF3C5CD4A7.jpeg (200.93 KiB) Viewed 803 times
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

E86 manual

Post by Zedebee » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:33 pm

People hang out for the m-sport seats, but the non m-sports are perfectly decent. An SE in my opinion has a nicer ride than the Sport (but doesn’t have Sport seats unless specified) and is likely to be cheaper.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

E86 manual

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:44 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

An E86 is a great car, but then I seem to be addicted to them! :roll:

The 3.0Si came in "HellRot", Imola Red was only offered on the M models. But you probably won't find too many with heated seats, although my 1st one had them (possibly because it was a pre-registered car).

It also had the Bi-Xenons which are definitely worth having if you drive much at night on un-lit roads.

I didn't know bowser134 had bought one (he looked at my Montego one when I was selling in January) but any car of his is sure to be spot-on, although Hampshire is a long way from Falkirk!

I know others aren't so fussed about the M-Sport seats but I'd not want the standard Sport seats in a Z4 - they're OK in my 3 Series though. I have seen a few SE models that had M-Sport seats as an option and one of those might be a sweet spot in the range.

Anyway hopefully you will find the right one soon. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Woodrow

E86 manual

Post by Woodrow » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:02 pm

Just wondering why being an ex management car is a good thing. 2 of my friends who are high level designers at Ford and Mercedes cain the arse out of their company cars. I’d not touch one of their cars even after the 20% discount. However I’m sure not all management cars are the same. Still worth the usual checks in my opinion.

DJBBC

E86 manual

Post by DJBBC » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:44 pm

Seen this one on Autotrader and although it is pretty much perfect spec (silver 108s, montego blue + a stubby aerial really do it for me!) realistically it is just out of my price range so didn’t want to waste anybody’s time!

As Mr Tidy says Falkirk to Hampshire is a long way to go just for a look! With that in mind, thinking of going to see this:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 500&page=1

Higher mileage, no interior pics, and can’t make out reg to check out MOTs - but no harm in looking when only a few minutes away.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

E86 manual

Post by Zedebee » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:36 am

That Montego Blue must be Bowser’s car referred to above. I’d have a lot of confidence buying that car based on Bowser’s reputation on this forum and having been to see his RBM operation in Hook. The information on that silver one is sparse and the mileage high, but if the condition and service history are good the price isn’t too bad.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

E86 manual

Post by Number5 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:43 am

Woodrow wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:02 pm Just wondering why being an ex management car is a good thing?
Management cars are generally well equipped, high spec and driven by the management or used as demonstrators or showroom models for 6-9 months
You can spot them as the Reg’s normally start with a Y
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

E86 manual

Post by mr wilks » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:19 am

Number5 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:43 am
Woodrow wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:02 pm Just wondering why being an ex management car is a good thing?
Management cars are generally well equipped, high spec and driven by the management or used as demonstrators or showroom models for 6-9 months
You can spot them as the Reg’s normally start with a Y
That doesn't answer the question Mr 5 :oops: i have a chum who works in sales for Bmw , all his cars are demos usually has them 3-4 months , as you point out generally well specced but not sure id want to own one after him or one that gets punted out for 4-6 hr "testdrives" to joe public :cry:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Simon 3.2M

E86 manual

Post by Simon 3.2M » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:50 am

DJBBC wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:44 pm Seen this one on Autotrader and although it is pretty much perfect spec (silver 108s, montego blue + a stubby aerial really do it for me!) realistically it is just out of my price range so didn’t want to waste anybody’s time!

As Mr Tidy says Falkirk to Hampshire is a long way to go just for a look! With that in mind, thinking of going to see this:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 500&page=1

Higher mileage, no interior pics, and can’t make out reg to check out MOTs - but no harm in looking when only a few minutes away.
The passenger side headlight washer cover is also missing. It could be a nice car and the price isn’t too bad however, I’d like the seller to make a little more effort regarding the ad!
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

DJBBC

E86 manual

Post by DJBBC » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:34 pm

Good spot Simon! Just back from viewing it and passenger washer jet is indeed missing. Reg is PX56 YPL - not sure if anyone on here knows the car?

The check engine light is on and the guy selling has said it is an exhaust issue which he is getting it sorted before selling (but may reduce how much of a deal I could get on the car depending on what it costs him).

It's also coming up for an MOT and the history doesn't put me any more at ease, although not sure if I'm just being too cautious?
https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ ... 1608487402

Lastly, each corner had a different brand of tyre on it! That rang alarm bells for me too - should it?

Shame because it did tick all of my "must have" boxes + a few more besides that!

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

E86 manual

Post by mr.tourette » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:03 pm

personally I'd give that a wide berth, if you have alarm bells you should listen to your instincts, I wouldn't dream of selling a car with a check engine light on and as for 4 different tyres :o sounds like an unloved motor, bide your time and the right car will turn up eventually :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Simon 3.2M

E86 manual

Post by Simon 3.2M » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:02 pm

I have to echo Mr Tourette in that it’s probably best steer clear. As I said earlier regarding the advert and which your observations have highlighted, it doesn’t appear to be a particularly well maintained or loved car and the seller seems somewhat economical with the details relying more on the current popularity of the coupe to sell it.

I’m looking for a Coupe too however, remember a fool and his money are easily parted - there is always another car.
Sepang Coupe
Imola Roadster - For sale
Interlagos Coupe - For sale

Previous:
Stratus Grey Coupe
Titan Silver 3.0 Roadster
Carbon Black Coupe
Silver Grey MR
Silver Grey 3.0si Roadster
Maldives Blue 2.5
Sterling Silver 3.0 - twice

DJBBC

E86 manual

Post by DJBBC » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:58 pm

The search continues!

Has anyone on here come across RO08 WZF before? Only on EBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-08-BMW- ... SwmGNfttnh

High miler, but ticks almost all my boxes. Nothing scary in MOT history that I could see either!