Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Sytner Sutton Coldfield - utter crap Services department

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
liTTle wHitE sHarK..

BMW Sytner Sutton Coldfield - utter crap Services department

Post by liTTle wHitE sHarK.. » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:20 pm

It's not the first time I've had utter crap attitude and service from the services department at BMW Sytner (formally Rydale) in Sutton Coldfield, but they're closest to me. However after this time I might actually drive just an extra 10 miles to my next nearest one.

I had a problem opening the front bonnet (I ran out of windscreen wiper fluid), the lever got kind of jammed, my husband tried several times on several different days as we thought maybe the cold had caused it to jam somehow. First I phoned Sytner and the receptionist transferred me to the a member of the services department, I informed her of the problem and she told me to 'just bring the car in and we'll take a look at it,' I asked whether or not I needed to book a time in, she replied 'no', so I bought it in later that afternoon.

I checked the car in with her at 2.30pm, she said it would only take about half an hour, so I sat and waited. I was prepared to wait up to an hour because I understood that if there were other problems with the car then it might take a little longer. So I waited... and I waited. It was 3.45 and eventually another guy came round to say that 'the lever was jammed and they have to replace the lever, but we have to order it in because we don't keep it in stock'. I thought fair enough since it only takes 2 days or so for them to order it. Then I asked whether or not it was covered on warranty, the guy said he would ring and find out... 4.00....4.15....4.30.... he came back saying he couldn't get in contact with BMW Scotthall in Leeds (where I got the car and warranty from) and that they would ring me back the next day to let me know. Fair enough, I finally left.

The next day came and went. The following day after that, *Sigh* OK, I'll phone them instead, I explained my situation that someone was supposed to call me back and I hear the guy on the phone shout to the original person who initially dealt with me, 'haven't you called her back yet?' (charming), 'she'll call you back in a little while.' I have to give her credit, she did call me back after about half an hour and asked when I would bring the car in, it would take a couple of hours, I said Saturday as my husband could drop me and the car off and we would come back for it later that day, and then I asked again 'do I need to make an appointment?', she again replied 'no, no, just bring the car in', I then asked what sort of time, 'anytime after 8.30'. I thought it was wierd, surely BMW services have got other cars to repair? I would have felt a lot better if she had given me an actual appointment time, but she said anytime after 8.30 so OK.

So I went in Saturday with my husband at 1pm (as that was after 8.30 like she had said) but I already had a feeling that something would go wrong and guess what, the services department closes at 1pm. The rest of the sales department were still opened until 6pm but services 'sorry they've just closed'. I complained at the reception desk and explained the situation again to somebody else, that I insisted on booking an appointment and was told there was no need to, but since it would take 'a few hours', she should have said bring it in by 10am by the latest as we close at 1pm... :headbang: I wasn't happy, needless to say my husband was fuming. I suppose I could say it was my fault for not knowing they closed at 1pm - true.

I couldn't go to Sytner on Monday, so on Tuesday morning I phoned Sytner and was transferred to another guy in services, I explained the whole situation AGAIN to someone different and he said
'we can book you in for tomorrow'
'tomorrow?? I was told I didn't need to book?'
'no no, we have lots going on and you need to book an appointment to bring your car in'
'well I understand and I would have booked but I spoke to a services rep and she insisted that I could just bring the car in'
'no, we tell all our customers to book an appointment, otherwise we don't guarantee we can give you your car back on the day' (exactly what I thought).
Basically after much explaining, the guy agreed that if I bought the car in straight away, they could do it and I could have it back by the end of the day.

So at 10am I trotted back again (3rd time in 4 days) to Sytner and sat straight down in front of her desk, she had the nerve to ask me 'weren't you supposed to come on Saturday?' :headbang: I said yes but you had closed then I told her I spoke to another guy from services and they said to bring it down now. Then I asked her was I supposed to make an appointment and she bloody replied 'yes, you really should have made an appointment'......I raised my voice at her so that the other colleagues and customers could hear, 'I insisted 3 times to make and appointment and 3 times you said I had no need to' and she was silent... just tapping away at her keyboard... :fuelfire:

After more waiting she said come back at 4pm and it would be done, knowing what had happened earlier I asked her whether or not to call before I came to make sure the car would be ready, I wasn't prepared to wait for another half an hour, she just replied sternly, 'no... it will be done by 4pm'.... fine....so I booked a taxi to take me home. When I was going to pay the taxi fare, the taxi driver was expecting a voucher from BMW, I asked what they were, he said they give it to all their customers who need to take a taxi home from BMW. Oh - oh well... I paid the taxi fare.

Throughout the day I was so uneasy, half expecting more excuses from them and I even dreaded walking in at 4.15. But she was nowhere to be seen and instead another services rep acknowledged my arrival and finally bought my car back out with everything fixed.... finally...

In the past, we have had snobby attitudes from the sales reps in there who basically just didn't want to know. I do have a feeling that its because maybe we are young(ish) late twenties.

Has anyone else had problems with Sytner Sutton before?
Last edited by liTTle wHitE sHarK.. on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: BMW Sytner Sutton Coldfield - utter crap Services department

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:50 pm

Well they certainly managed to mess you around big time, for such a small problem.

I have to say though that the Sutton branch are normally simply amazing on service and I know all the people you refer to. I live just 5 minutes from there and am to say the least a regular visitor with my Zed and X5 and with all the project work I do.

Sure turning up and waiting is a disaster as they don't seem able to comprehend waiting, but now I have my cars collected from home, returned and always calls to tell me just how big a bill I'm going to be paying, when it will be done, etc. Mine are never washed (my request) and always dealt with properly.

Couple of the sales people are a bit above themselves, but most pretty good people and helpful (if a car salesman can every avoid being a little slimy...lol)

You must just have had a bad run, but still call BMW UK and complain.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

klarky

Post by klarky » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:53 pm

i would remove peoples names from the post, just a suggestion.

but no excuse for poor service. things happen but you'd expect a courtesy call or a sorry from them, i cant believe they need to check with another dealer for warranty - surely if its in warranty every dealer knows what is and isnt covered. as i work in customer service i hate been treated poorly, ive had bad experiences with main dealers of other makes, to the point where i doubt id ever buy a new car, and id only use them for warranty stuff if necessary .

Zed_Steve

Post by Zed_Steve » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:06 pm

cj10jeeper, you're right about the sales people being stuck up there. I remember when i was looking at Z3s a few years back, I booked a test drive in one. The guy i saw was so snotty, and up his own backside, and didnt take my enquiry seriously. I so wanted to shove his head through the dealership window!! :headbang:
Now - N/A

Then... E89 sDrive35iS(2012-2013), E89 sDrive30i(2011-2012), E85 3.0si Sport Roadster(2009-2011), Z3 2.8(2005-2009).

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:57 pm

sorry to hear of your bad experience- some how doubt it is down to colour or age- just poor staffing!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:42 am

liTTle wHitE sHarK.. wrote:It's not the first time I've had utter crap attitude and service from the services department at BMW Sytner (formally Rydale) in Sutton Coldfield, but they're closest to me. However after this time I might actually drive just an extra 10 miles to my next nearest one.
Sorry to hear you had bad service, it sounds like you do have a lot to complain about there, and it sounds like the member of staff you mentioned was at fault.

BUT

Despite that, I would remove the names from the post. By all means send the same post to BMW and mention the names, you should definitely to that, but probably best not on the open forum, it could get you (and the forum) in trouble if this went further.

Also, that last allegation is very serious. Whatever your views on what happened you (we?) could get into legal trouble for that, so I will have to remove it. Please stick to the facts.

Once again, I fully support the outing of bad service, but we just need to be careful how we go about it.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

liTTle wHitE sHarK..

Post by liTTle wHitE sHarK.. » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:06 pm

Hi guys, I have removed the names in my original post as advised by members of the forum. Apologies, because I was a bit steamed when I was writing the first post. If I write a letter of complaint to BMW, should it be to Sytner Sutton or main BMW UK? Has anyone written one and what was the sort of response?

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:24 pm

liTTle wHitE sHarK.. wrote:Hi guys, I have removed the names in my original post as advised by members of the forum. Apologies, because I was a bit steamed when I was writing the first post. If I write a letter of complaint to BMW, should it be to Sytner Sutton or main BMW UK? Has anyone written one and what was the sort of response?
The complains should be to BMW customer services. I believe there is a link from bmw.co.uk
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:34 pm

I echo sp3ctre's comment that you should write to BMW, not the dealer. Sadly most will absorb the comment internally and despite any wrong doing will tend to protect their staff outwardly, rather than really act upon it.

Personally I'd call first to get the contact person responsible and then direct your letter to them. Once sent to a named person it's a lot harder for it to get lost in the system.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:33 pm

Write to BMW UK and copy in the dealer and maybe trading standards?
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

RoundoBaldo

Post by RoundoBaldo » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:15 pm

For what it's worth the BMW is City Centre gives top drawer service - Jo Cheung is a legend!!

jamiez

Post by jamiez » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:04 am

Yes - definitly send it to their HQ (based in bracknell - i work near there, could hand deliver it :))

Ensure you send it recorded and do a follow up call

It really winds me up when i hear stories like this - they generally tend to over promise and then just let you down - i dont understand this idea at all - time is SO important to us all - so they should respect that and NOT waste it

My car is going in tomorrow for 2 days for warranty work - i'll be posting my experiences :)
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | OEM CSL's + MPSS | Extended Light Sepang Leather | Folding Mirrors | Stubby| BT | Prof Nav | DSP HiFi | Intravee | Privacy | Illuminated ZHP…