Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Independent: DarJac Racing (near Colchester)

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Independent: DarJac Racing (near Colchester)

Post by mmm-five » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:58 pm

First of all, in the interests of complety transparency, I'd like to point out that the main man at Darjac is a friend of mine.

He's only become a friend sue to his tireless work on my e34 when BMW turned their backs on it and started messing me about so much.

When I first went to Darjac I was a bit apprehensive due to them being 230 miles away and me having to get a 4-5 hour train journey back if the car needed to stay with them. However, over the few years I've been using them, I've come to appreciate their work ethic and methodology in getting to the root cause of a problem, rather than just replacing parts as per the instruction manual until one of them miraculously fixes it.

His labour rates are about a third of what I'd pay at BMW in the North West, and he'll keep you informed via phone or email on how things are progressing. Plus for bigger pieces of work, he'll keep all the old parts for you to inspect and take away with you, plus he'll do a photo CD of the work as it progressed so you can see, for instance, the valve clearances before and after, the interior trim stored away so he can mess around with rear suspension (on the e34 anyway).

He even spec'd, developed & sourced a custom suspension kit for me from his own contacts from his time in the industry (from a big name company too).

I cannot recommend this guy highly enough, and I know he's expanding his facilities so that he doesn't have to rent garage space off neighbours or other businesses. He'll soon have a double lift garage in the back garden (the kids will be losing some play space - and the tree has already gone) and he may even offer some cheap B&B service for those unexpected overnight stays.

The company is Darjac Racing, it's based near Colchester and the main man is an ex Aston Martin and Cosworth drivetrain & transmission consultant engineer of 15 years experience, and also an owner of an e34 M5 and hand-built 450bhp plus Skyline.

Contact details are [email protected] or 07807 689538, and say Tony or mmm-five recommended him and he might give me the good cognac when I'm down there next week.

Here's an (admitedly out of date) service menu for e34 M5s - http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34-m5 ... ost1077343 - and some testimonials from fellow M5 owners. I think his rate is now £45 per hour (Berry Chiswick BMW are £156+vat), but that's mainly due to the amount of bookings he gets that are cancelled at the last minute and not having anything to fill the time with.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options