Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Westerly BMW (Part of the Helston Garage Group)

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
Stan1970

Westerly BMW (Part of the Helston Garage Group)

Post by Stan1970 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:25 pm

All Nice people - but they are there to make lots of money from you!

Apparently my scirocco is worth below glasses guide price because they are difficult to sell (its not green!!!) - offered £9500 trade in price - and £500 off a 3 year old car that was sat in their dealership in August when I visited them - I dont know how much longer than that.

My extras were worth nothing apparently but a sat nav is worth £2500 compared to other cars on the BMW second hand web site on their car.... really!!!!

Ended up going to Ocean BMW in Torbay who were exellent!

Offered me £11000 for the car and a bit off the 6 month old car that they had which had 500 miles on it. - They had just dropped the price by £1000 but I managed to get a years tax, Y cable, new plates and a bit off the price - The guy said we have had the car for 67 days and we are keen to sell it.

Ended up with a cheaper deal getting a nearly new very low mileage car when looking at the cost of change.

I have had experience of helston garages in the past tried to sell a boxster which I bought from them from new and they offered me 3k less than a dealer in Bournemouth who came and viewed the car and then came back and collected it.

Really important to shop around different dealers - some what to sell cars - some want to sell cars with massive profit!

Hope that helps someone.

Also spotted nearly new Z4's are much cheaper in scotland BMW dealers - there was a nice white one I was looking at for £21000 just a year old and low miles. The video of it came through just a bit too late as I had committed to buy. I guess the weather and the snow makes a contribution.
Stan

2013 1.8 M sport in Mineral Grey - Comfort Pack - 19" mSport alloys - Heated Seats - Black Leather - Smokers Pack :) AND Stubby!

Captainken

Re: Westerly BMW (Part of the Helston Garage Group)

Post by Captainken » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:52 pm

Typical car dealers, yours is always the worse car on the road and theirs is the best thing since sliced bread...........until you come to sell it that is.
What did you buy in the gender then?
2003 Z4 3.0i Auto Maldives Blue with Ivory Leather, Stubby, Angel eyes, chrome grills, zunsport lower mesh grill, M style pedals, drilled disc

Captainken

Post by Captainken » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:54 pm

Meant to say 'What did you buy in the end then'
2003 Z4 3.0i Auto Maldives Blue with Ivory Leather, Stubby, Angel eyes, chrome grills, zunsport lower mesh grill, M style pedals, drilled disc

Stan1970

Post by Stan1970 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:55 pm

Captainken wrote:Typical car dealers, yours is always the worse car on the road and theirs is the best thing since sliced bread...........until you come to sell it that is.
What did you buy in the gender then?
The one below in my signature :D
Stan

2013 1.8 M sport in Mineral Grey - Comfort Pack - 19" mSport alloys - Heated Seats - Black Leather - Smokers Pack :) AND Stubby!

Captainken

Post by Captainken » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:04 pm

didn't see that......very nice too

shortfuse 2

Post by shortfuse 2 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:33 pm

lets have some pics

Stan1970

Post by Stan1970 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:46 pm

I have added some today. Check out my posts
Stan

marchantsuk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by marchantsuk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:06 pm

Which Westerly was it?
Previous:
e89 2.5se Roadster
5 series touring
SLK 320
Audi A6 Avant Black edition
Now:
e86 M Coupe, Black/Red
Volvo XC60 R-Design

Stan1970

Post by Stan1970 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:24 pm

I visited Exeter and bridgewater. Bridgewater tried to undercut Exeter by £500
Stan

Stan1970

Post by Stan1970 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Anyone else get cheesed off when they have to keep going to speak to the sales manager to discuss the details - I just want to go in there myself and speak to the organ grinder.
Stan

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:53 pm

Stan1970 wrote:Anyone else get cheesed off when they have to keep going to speak to the sales manager to discuss the details - I just want to go in there myself and speak to the organ grinder.
+1 they always do it! :roll:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

PlumbNB1

Post by PlumbNB1 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:33 pm

andysat wrote:
Stan1970 wrote:Anyone else get cheesed off when they have to keep going to speak to the sales manager to discuss the details - I just want to go in there myself and speak to the organ grinder.
+1 they always do it! :roll:
+1. bit like the double glazing salemen who "need to phone their boss" to get a 'special' offer
'53 Sterling Grey 3.0i SE Manual Roadster

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:36 pm

:D
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

kevinmarkwhite

Post by kevinmarkwhite » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:43 pm

Westerly Barnstaple is a mile from my front door and I have bought most of my cars from them. Until the Z4 I was happy with them - you know, make me feel like their best friend etc, always happy to see me.

I did buy an E46 3 series from Ocean...think it was also Torbay. They were very good.

When my 1st Z4 had its leak though, my relationship with Westerly Barnstaple changed. All they wanted to do was pass the buck back to BMW UK...the dealer principle definitely wanted to distance himself/dealership from the problems....despite them taking my money! Even my salesman - when I mentioned exchanging the car - he said he could help me part ex it (the car was only a few months old)...I wanted it fixed...not part ex!

OK, in the end BMW UK gave me a replacement car cos they couldn't fix the leak....but the whole process left a bitter taste in my mouth - I was made to feel like a moaner, rather than a valued customer with a genuine fault with a brand new car.

And within a month of exchanging the vehicle (the handover was basically park the leaky one next to the new one, swap keys and p$ss off!) they had the leaky one on sale....I asked Carol to phone them pretending to be an interested customer - they told her it had a minor leak, fixed on first visit! After 5 or 6 visits they couldn't fix it and they had the car for over 40 days in total!

Debs 1'er is up for renewal next year, or refinance and keep it. In the past, it would be another BMW by default, but this time we are gonna look elsewhere. Might end up back with BMW, but have already had a Lexus brochure!

Westerly Barnstaple went through a crap time with servicing a few years ago. I was taking various cars in for work (nearly always something wrong on warranty) and there were always problems. More so with Saturday morning appointments! I would get follow up phone calls asking how it went and I would be honest. To be fair, it has improved significantly recently...which is obviously good.

Stan1970

Post by Stan1970 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:50 pm

I have had experience of service from them on past cars and they have been fine. I will definitely avoid them for purchases in the future. I had great joy in telling them the deal I got and what a rip off the fact they were offering me under glasses guide price for a trade in. I drove past at the weekend and they still have both z4's on the forecourt that they have had since August I must look to see if they have adjusted the prices
Stan