Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Garages and Self-supplied parts

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
jimmybell

Garages and Self-supplied parts

Post by jimmybell » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:52 pm

Does anyone have experience with garages and providing parts yourself?

I can source some brake discs for my Z4MC significantly cheaper than garage quotes, but i have seen in the past signs in garages saying they wont fit parts they have not sourced themselves. Presumably Parts are another revenue stream, as it's easy to bolt on 10-20% to make their labour costs seem cheap.

Any input appreciated.
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

Bing
Legend
Legend

Re: Garages and Self-supplied parts

Post by Bing » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:02 pm

My indy fitted a roof motor I sourced myself, and Eibach springs too. I guess you just need to ask them first - my guys are all for me saving money where I can, including cash payments where the work is solely labour. Saying that, if you supply the parts you may not get any warranty from the garage for the work as a whole, meaning you'll just have the manufacturer warranty if something breaks.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...