Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My experience buying my Z4

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
Exogen

My experience buying my Z4

Post by Exogen » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:04 am

Once again for anyone who doesn't know, I am new to the forum and a new Z4 owner.

I would like to tell you my experience.

It started about almost a year ago, last winter. I was thinking about getting a second car (I already own a BMW 3 series E36). Being a beemer man I looked to BMW to see what models appealed to me. I was looking at the Z4 convertible at first, around 04 to 06. I watched them online for some time and started to learn everything I could about buying a car from a dealership. I have owned two BMW's prior to the Z4 (the 3 series I have now plus I had another 3 series before that). But those cars I bought privately from friends and so I have never actually financed a car before.

In any case I did my homework EXTENSIVELY on how dealerships crunch their numbers and how their inventory changes seasonally. I also watched the market go up and down and learned about dealer sales tactics.

I took a E85 for a test drive. No offense to any E85 owners here but I hated it to be honest. Not how it drove of course, that part was great; what I didn't like was how I felt kind of claustrophobic inside it. I'm sure it is great with the top down, don't get me wrong. But with the top up I didn't like how I could not see over my shoulder. Yes I know the mirrors allow you to see the blind spot but it just doesn't feel right to me. After that I questioned if the Z4 was the car for me.

However, something told me it was the right car. Then I looked at the coupe! I feel in love with the look of the thing. Damn that is a nice car. I don't care what they say about Chris Bangles, to hell with them! The "flame surfacing" as some call it, is great. To be honest I like the coupe better than the new Z4's, just my opinion.

I watched the market some more and let many opportunities slip past me. Finally I found a good deal. 23k miles, coupe 3.0si (of course) black with red leather interior with sport package. I made sure I had my financing ahead of time so the dealer would be in so position to have leverage on me.

I went to the dealer ship and used every tactic I could from body language to showing them how much I knew about the market. It was funny to watch them bring all the predictable responses to bare and me deal with each one with ease. I waited till the end of august after the thing had been sitting for the summer so I knew they were desperate to sell it. Plus they want to move that car even if they just got it because it was august. And given the end of the month I knew they wanted to make a sale. The car was originally listed at 30 thousand but they had reduced it to 28k. I got them to give it to me for 25,500$. AND it is still under CPO and maintenance for a year! It took me 5 hours of negotiations and counter tactics, but I didn't break!! It turned out I was arguing with one of the top sales managers in BMW of North america. I even got him to remove a few small dents as well. Not bad for my first negotiation It think, it was fun! After we had sealed the deal I told the manager that this was my first car negotiation. His eyes lit up and he said, "what about the other cars you mentioned." I told him they were private sales. He said that the information and research I did helped me.

I will be posting pics of the car soon, but I just wanted to share my experience with you guys!!

Caemon

Re: My experience buying my Z4

Post by Caemon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:03 am

Welcome to the Forum... Good choice with the coupe :thumbsup:
like you I drove the rag top first and although I loved it, the Coupe's looks are to die for and I too prefer it to the new shape. :)
MONTEGO BLUE COUPÉ .E86 3.0si ...| M Suspension | M Steering Wheel | Champagne Leather | Piano Black
108s | SatNav Professional | Cruise Control | Heated Memory M Seats | Xenons | Stubby | Black BMW Roundels

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:53 am

Welcome and well done :thumbsup:
I agree with your thoughts about the convertible when the roof is up but I've had a rag tops for twenty odd years and still think you can't beat it. But the coupé looks great, I'd struggle to think of a better looking coupé from the last decade that can be had for less than 30 or even £40k?
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Exogen

Post by Exogen » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:52 pm

Don't get me wrong here, I do love the look of the convertible as well, although the coupe, in my opinion appeals more to my tastes. Believe me when I tell you based on looks I would not through the E85 out of bed.

My only gripe really is with driving with the top up. I just feel constricted like I can't breath. And I feel like I can't see anything. Oddly, and I don't know if this is true, but it feels like the windshield is smaller. Could that be do to the front windshield frame being part of the roll cage is thicker on the E85? Maybe it was just all in my head. There is such a big difference for me sitting in the coupe, it feels entirely different for me.

----

I almost got one in motego blue, but it was far away, was a year younger, although less miles and I didn't like the interior (tan). It also didn't have sport mode. I asked a guy at one of my local dealerships while I was still on the search if the sport mode made a difference. According to him it made a slight difference but he said the car was fun to drive either way. while it probably is fun either way, I am SO glad I got the sport mode!!

I didn't think I was going to like black as much, being that I have already owned a black car (my first E36). But it really looks good, and I couldn't imagine the dream red interior with montego blue. That would just be cheesy to me. Although I saw a picture of someone who actually bought that combo. More power to them, but I think it clashes.

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:01 pm

Exogen wrote: I don't care what they say about Chris Bangles, to hell with them! The "flame surfacing" as some call it, is great.
You've obviously made the right decision going with a coupé and I can't wait to see pictures.

But I don't get the above, what is it in reference to (just want to understand all the lingo :wink: )
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:19 pm

StevenH72 wrote:
Exogen wrote: I don't care what they say about Chris Bangles, to hell with them! The "flame surfacing" as some call it, is great.
You've obviously made the right decision going with a coupé and I can't wait to see pictures.

But I don't get the above, what is it in reference to (just want to understand all the lingo :wink: )
Chris Bangle was controversial because some of his Flame Surface BMW styling ......... well, sucked and he left. But it also worked well on occasions (Z4 of course) I like thinkers like this without them we would all be in a Nissan Cube or Trabant,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr-U7kitBq4
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Talksthetorque

Post by Talksthetorque » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:41 pm

I think the exact meaning of flame surfacing is 'A combination of convex and concave shapes separated by varying radius curved creases which intersect'.
Or I could have just made that up.
Its too contrived not to have come out of the mouth of an egomaniac creative director though
:cool:
Well done on the deal btw OP.
But just think of all the fun you could have had while you worked all that out :driving: :rofl:

Bumpy

Post by Bumpy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:59 pm

Well Done Exogen !
Actually you have to feel you did well in a negotiation or ...
Well you did well.
Where in the USA are you ?
Make sure you put a tag on the members map.
Plus we want pics.
And a list of yer mods !
First up a Stubby ?
Slice those Hockey Pucks in half.
Black you say ...
Carbon fiber roundels ?

Cheers and welcome
Bumpy

Exogen

Post by Exogen » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:56 am

No mods I am afraid. Not yet anyways.

I do have pics though.

Yes, the flame surfacing didn't work with all models, but it worked on the Z4.

I am in CT USA.