Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CA Auto Electronics GM5 Door Locking Repair

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
dlp

CA Auto Electronics GM5 Door Locking Repair

Post by dlp » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Common problem with the central locking failing to lock or unlock one particular door. In my case the drivers door failed to unlock with the remote so had to do it manually with the key.

In many cases this is a faulty GM5 module (located in the passenger footwell area, quite a large white box), BMW will happily charge you £400+ VAT for a replacement which I think makes many owners leave the issue.

Saw this advert on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1127138337 where Colin offers to send out a replacement or repaired module or you can simply drive to Thatcham if your local and he will replace the unit for you while you wait.

Colin plugged in a diagnostic which showed me an error frequency of 31 "central locking system relay locking drivers door:contact for opening has open circuit or contact for closing is sticking" Error code 27 3F which seemed to correlate with my problem.

He quickly took out my module, opened it up and replaced the faulty relay. Colin loves to talk cars and is an electronics professional with an array of complicated items on his work bench.

While there he enabled one touch passenger window opening and auto door locking for me which was handy. The whole thing took less than an hour and that included us talking cars non stop and cost me £70.

Excellent service I certainly recommend him if you don't feel confident carrying out this yourself.

PS. As an interesting aside Colin added that the roof can be raised or lowered via the remote quite simply by an adjustment to the GM5 module firmware for which he charges just £40!...this I found out having earlier in the week paid £130 for a Gaptech!...could have saved myself loads, oh well.
3.0i, Manual Silver, MV2s, Gap-Tech+, Illuminated ZHP, CDV delete.

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Re: CA Auto Electronics GM5 Door Locking Repair

Post by andysat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:53 am

:thumbsup:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

srhutch

Re: CA Auto Electronics GM5 Door Locking Repair

Post by srhutch » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:45 am

andysat wrote::thumbsup:
Andy, you should have reported the post above you, not given it the thumbs up. :poke: